SaltCritters.com

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little TOO much! I'm already eyeballing a third module! :lol: Must wait until at least next month! I am SO overbudget this month!

TeflonTomDosh
A little TOO much! I'm already eyeballing a third module! :lol: Must wait until at least next month! I am SO overbudget this month!

I just placed another order from ecoxotic for another power supply for my 445nm. You already have what, the RGB, and the pro, do you have the 12k/445, or the 445? I love them...as far as that frogspawn goes, might want to check the flow in the area where he resides, mine stays fully extended when my lights are on...here's a pic. I have him on the opposite side of my tank as the hydor flo, right below my surface skimmer, well a few inches. Hoping my clown will soon start to host him, we shall see :D

frogspawn.jpg

I got the RGB and the 12k/445nm. I think Ill get another 12k/445 and then run the RGB on magenta. The frogspawn has only been in the tank a few days and he got lost in shipping so it was pretty stressed when I got it. I'm going to give it awhile longer before I move it. It's under the Koralia by the intake grate right now. I'm not sure if it will be happy there longterm or not but its opening just a little more every day right now so I want to give it time to adjust before I stress it again.

TeflonTomDosh
I got the RGB and the 12k/445nm. I think Ill get another 12k/445 and then run the RGB on magenta. The frogspawn has only been in the tank a few days and he got lost in shipping so it was pretty stressed when I got it. I'm going to give it awhile longer before I move it. It's under the Koralia by the intake grate right now. I'm not sure if it will be happy there longterm or not but its opening just a little more every day right now so I want to give it time to adjust before I stress it again.

My suggestion would be to get the 445 only. Will really make everything you have in your tank pop. That RGB is going to become a moonlight before it's all over with, LOL

I don't want to go overkill on the blue. I can get lots of blue out of the RGB if I want more. I think the 12k/445 is better because it's balanced. The magenta/445 is tempting though....

TeflonTomDosh
I don't want to go overkill on the blue. I can get lots of blue out of the RGB if I want more. I think the 12k/445 is better because it's balanced. The magenta/445 is tempting though....

I deal with Angel Sinatra there, ask her what they'd suggest. I guess at the end of the day its personal preference though.

Good choice. With another 12k/445nm, you'd have enough light to keep almost anything, in a 14. The 50/50s in the front and back, and the RGB in the center...sweet.

Good choice. With another 12k/445nm, you'd have enough light to keep almost anything, in a 14. The 50/50s in the front and back, and the RGB in the center...sweet.

That's kind of my thinking. If I ever want to do SPS or anything more challenging the 2 x 12k/445nm + the RGB and maybe a stunner strip if I still have room would light up that tank like a laser show! I actually had a little bit of a headache from the sudden change in brightness so I'm sure my fish and corals are all reeling too! :lol: Another module and I may have to dose sunscreen! ;)

That's kind of my thinking. If I ever want to do SPS or anything more challenging the 2 x 12k/445nm + the RGB and maybe a stunner strip if I still have room would light up that tank like a laser show! I actually had a little bit of a headache from the sudden change in brightness so I'm sure my fish and corals are all reeling too! :lol: Another module and I may have to dose sunscreen! ;)

Lol!! Yeah when I lift my hood, the P-Pros light up the room, AND the courtyard outside in my apartment complex! Lol. I have 3 modules on my 28, and all my sps grow and look great. 445nm, all 12k, and magenta/445nm, in that order front to back.

Can you post links to exactly what you bought? And what's was the total if you don't mind me asking.

Trying to get a budget going :)

I about blinded myself when I opened the hood with them on! :P

I think I'll go set the dimmer to 50-60% for tomorrow so I don't kill my livestock! I just hope my BTA will find a nice home where I can actually SEE and FEED it now. :huh:

i grew sps in my 14g with 1 all blue and 1 50/50. i have since moved on to a 29g and transfered the 2 strips over and my sps are still doing well with only 2 strips.

i think 3 in a 14g is an overkill save that 90 bucks and buy some corals.

Can you post links to exactly what you bought? And what's was the total if you don't mind me asking.

Trying to get a budget going :)

http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led-light...ma-modules.html

I got one 12k/445nm Panorama Pro ($89) and one RGB panorama Pro ($89). I purchased the three way splitter ($8.95), the 24V 60W transformer ($36.95), and the controller for the RGB ($49.95). I'm going to purchase another transformer so I can operate the RGB on a different power supply independent of the 12k/445nm module. That way I can use it as a moon LED at night too.

i grew sps in my 14g with 1 all blue and 1 50/50. i have since moved on to a 29g and transfered the 2 strips over and my sps are still doing well with only 2 strips.

Hmmm, I'll have to see how everything reacts over the next couple weeks. I was tempted to pick up a pink birdsnest and a stylophora but I'm still cautious until the I test the lights out with my LPS and nems.

You're gonna love those lights! They look great! Your critters are gonna love em too.

Thanks! I can't wait to get home and see how everything is reacting!

You have the RGB to give you the red/magenta color or even more blue. I'd go with another blue/white pro if I was going to add a third. If you didn't have the RGB, I would suggest blue/magenta all the way.

Can't wait to see how it looks today!!!!!!

Yes, 2 rubber spacers and 2 screws. I just screwed them into the existing holes from the old lights. I didn't remove the fans but if I add another module I'll have to. There's no real instructions included but it wasn't hard to figure out at all.

On another awesome note, I've got 5 more pink rics coming and three more mini minis! :D My tank is gonna be AWESOME! :P:lol:

Depends on the SPS. 2 PROs have a PAR of 85, much too low for SPS in a 29 gallon.

I need to do some research to understand exactly what the PAR value means. What do SPS need vs. LPS vs. softies? I'm pretty lost on the whole light thing. Kat, where are you getting the PAR values from? I can't find them on Ecoxotics site.

"Okay, for anyone as lost as I am on PAR I found an explanation on 3reef.com:

P.A.R. (photosynthetically active radiation) for dummies (sounds like a book title) - A measure of visible light intensity using an instrument calibrated with daylight. Right now I don't think the units (µMols•m2•sec) it is measured in are important only that there is a high maximum value and a low minimum value. The highest value that can be recorded is 2100 for outside solar radiation."

"Visible light is supposed to be somewhere between 400 nanometers and 700 nm. This is the light we are able to see without any devices (the naked eye). The low end being the blues and violets and the high end, a reddish color. Photosynthesis which occurs in the Zooxanthellae is supposed to happen because of this band of visible light. The Zooxanthellae provide nourishment to the coral and in some sps corals this is 99 percent of their food source."

Archived