Pod Your Reef

Banshee's 14G BioCube

banshee

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my emerald crab. She's been really peaceful. The male I had got huge and made me a bit nervous so I got rid of him.

I'm on the hunt for a petite little female emerald crab!!!!!

Definitely go to one water change a week. I'm only doing two a week because of my existing algae troubles. Your tank is new, with no undesirables...hence no need for extra water changes. That will probably help your xenia out a lot :happy:

TeflonTomDosh

Definitely go to one water change a week. I'm only doing two a week because of my existing algae troubles. Your tank is new, with no undesirables...hence no need for extra water changes. That will probably help your xenia out a lot :happy:

How do you guys get your picture to appear under your username on the left hand side of your postings? I added a picture, but it's not showing up? #nOOb

You can have my two! :P

I'm definitely planning on just weekend water changes from now on or at least until there's a reason to do two per week again. The xenia was still closed this morning but it didn't look quite as tightly closed if that makes sense? Hoping that means I'll see it open again soon!

New Pics!

FTS 4-4-12:

FTS4_4_12.jpg

Brain:

brain-1.jpg

Mushies and little ric:

closeup.jpg

Clown:

clown2-1.jpg

Goby:

goby.jpg

Mushie Rock:

mushierock.jpg

Unhappy xenia:

unhappyxenia.jpg

Mini Mini:

nem2.jpg

Thoughts? :)

TeflonTomDosh
New Pics!

FTS 4-4-12:

FTS4_4_12.jpg

Brain:

brain-1.jpg

Mushies and little ric:

closeup.jpg

Clown:

clown2-1.jpg

Goby:

goby.jpg

Mushie Rock:

mushierock.jpg

Unhappy xenia:

unhappyxenia.jpg

Mini Mini:

nem2.jpg

Thoughts? :)

What kind of salt are you using? Lighting schedule? Dosing?

Instant Ocean salt mix. I have a SpectraPure RO/DI system for water. Lighting is 10 hours actinics, 8 hours 50/50 compact fluorescents. I dose calcium with every water change to keep it at 440 for the brain. Water changes were 25% twice per week but I'm thinking my tank might actually be too clean so I'm going to once per week starting now. I change filter floss every time I change water and scrub the media basket and back chambers every second or third change. I'll be changing out the chemipure and purigen soon since they've been in there since I started the tank in mid-Feb. I feed pellets once per day and a pinch of coral frezy. Every other day or so I add phytofeast. 1-2 times per week I feed a half cube of frozen mysis. I've been looking for tigger pods but the LFS is sold out. Everything else but the xenia looks okay right?

TeflonTomDosh
Instant Ocean salt mix. I have a SpectraPure RO/DI system for water. Lighting is 10 hours actinics, 8 hours 50/50 compact fluorescents. I dose calcium with every water change to keep it at 440 for the brain. Water changes were 25% twice per week but I'm thinking my tank might actually be too clean so I'm going to once per week starting now. I change filter floss every time I change water and scrub the media basket and back chambers every second or third change. I'll be changing out the chemipure and purigen soon since they've been in there since I started the tank in mid-Feb. I feed pellets once per day and a pinch of coral frezy. Every other day or so I add phytofeast. 1-2 times per week I feed a half cube of frozen mysis. I've been looking for tigger pods but the LFS is sold out. Everything else but the xenia looks okay right?

It all looks good to me, lol. I think i'm going to change from tropic marin to reef crystals as i've been hearing the tropic marin doesnt provide good levels as far as alkalinity goes. Do you thaw and rinse those shrimp in RO/DI water before feeding? I've heard they can spike your trates..of which I'll be working on today when I get a ball of chaeto from my LFS and hopefully my first frags!

It all looks good to me, lol. I think i'm going to change from tropic marin to reef crystals as i've been hearing the tropic marin doesnt provide good levels as far as alkalinity goes. Do you thaw and rinse those shrimp in RO/DI water before feeding? I've heard they can spike your trates..of which I'll be working on today when I get a ball of chaeto from my LFS and hopefully my first frags!

actually heard they contain phosphates...not trates, lol

No but I have zero nitrate and phosphate anyway. I usually do my water changes the day after feeding the shrimp so it has no time to decompose. I'm thinking of switching to Reef Crystals too if I can find it locally. I think it will give me higher calcium so I can quit dosing. I just don't want to have to special order it and I haven't seen it at the LFS yet.

TeflonTomDosh
No but I have zero nitrate and phosphate anyway. I usually do my water changes the day after feeding the shrimp so it has no time to decompose. I'm thinking of switching to Reef Crystals too if I can find it locally. I think it will give me higher calcium so I can quit dosing. I just don't want to have to special order it and I haven't seen it at the LFS yet.

I haven't been able to get rid of my nitrates they've stayed around 5/10 ppm since week one. (tanks only been up 3 weeks as of this Sunday) I think I'm gonna put some chaeto in today to help with it, I've already cut back on the feeding (mon & thurs) and I alternate between flakes & frozen mysis. I'm on a 6 hour lighting schedule due to a algae outbreak, might go back up to 8/10 once that's under control. Which should be today as this turbo snail I got yesterday chowed that mess, then promptly snailed himself to the corner of my tank and took a big dump! :o

I did 50% water changes every day until my nitrate went to 0. I thought about putting in chaeto but with 0 nitrate, 0 phosphate, and the frequent WC's I don't think there's enough nutrients and it would just die. I have never seen my snails poop! What a weird thing to think about! :lol: I did see one releasing some kind of white fluid yesterday. I imagine that was a breeding episode. Maybe I'll have some baby snails soon? :happy:

Woohoo...finally got to see the little goby :)

Looks great. Just switch to one W/C per week as you have already planned. We'll see if that makes any difference with your xenia.

You actually do want some nitrate in your tank, so I've learned!!!!!! Is that a yellow toadstool? I like it a lot!!!!!

It's supposed to be a green toadstool but it only has green spots. It's goofy! :P

Almost forgot! Your tank inspired me to buy the Ecoxotic RGB Panorama Pro LED module. I think I'll add regular white/blue module and a stunner strip next purchase! Can't wait to get it!

Oh and my frogspawn should be waiting when I get home! :D

It's supposed to be a green toadstool but it only has green spots. It's goofy! :P

Almost forgot! Your tank inspired me to buy the Ecoxotic RGB Panorama Pro LED module. I think I'll add regular white/blue module and a stunner strip next purchase! Can't wait to get it!

Has it opened all the way for you yet???? Sounds like an interesting one :)

The toadstool? It always looks like it does in the pics with just little nubs sticking out. Will it open more? Maybe it's unhappy too. :huh:

TeflonTomDosh

I love my panorama pros (12k/445 and 445). I need to get another power supply so I can run them seperately though. I removed my pc's from my hood and mounted them in their place :D

That's my plan! Glad you like them! I know Gena has them but I haven't seen anyone with the RGB. I think I'll add a white/blue Pro later on.

I saw that you got the RGB, in my thread!!!!! That's soooo cool!!!!! If you plan to keep sps you might consider adding two more pros. If you're sticking with LPS, softies, you'll be fine with just the white/blue. You won't need a stunner if you have the RGB. The stunners are just for color and you will have loads of color choices with the RGB. You are soooo gonna love it :)

I added a hood photo for you, on my thread!

The toadstool will definitely open more. It will get very "fluffly". Most clownfish can't resist them ;)

So exciting! I'll definitely add a regular Panorama Pro when I get paid again! Stupid work switching to once a month paychecks is messing my reef budget up! :P I can't wait to see my toadstool become 'fluffly'! :lol: I'm going to go stock your thread.... again.... ;)

You may need a dimmer to acclimate the corals to the LED's. I had to. Maybe it's because I had two pro's when I only needed one. My sps's were doing well with two though.

I plan to order the dimmer when I order the blue/white Pro module. I'm trying to figure out how I could fund that without waiting until next month now. -_-

I plan to order the dimmer when I order the blue/white Pro module. I'm trying to figure out how I could fund that without waiting until next month now. -_-

with one pan pro, you might be ok or you can just wait...your bulbs should have 2-3 months left before changing right?

Archived