Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is this a good LED setup?

bacon5

Hello everybody I am new to NR and also new to saltwater aquariums. Heck I dont even have one as of yet but that is why I am asking this question. I wanted to hear your opinions on this light http://www.aquatopled.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...uct_Code=AQ120W on a 20 gallon long. I would like to basically have the freedom to have whatever I want like from zoas to acros and maybe even a tridacns maxima clam. What I want to know is will this light support this kind of stuff. Also I wanted to know if that ammount of Actinic would cause the corals to get their florescense. thanks for any replies :) and I hope I can get a reef setup by the end of the year. ;)

Hello everybody I am new to NR and also new to saltwater aquariums. Heck I dont even have one as of yet but that is why I am asking this question. I wanted to hear your opinions on this light http://www.aquatopled.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...uct_Code=AQ120W on a 20 gallon long. I would like to basically have the freedom to have whatever I want like from zoas to acros and maybe even a tridacns maxima clam. What I want to know is will this light support this kind of stuff. Also I wanted to know if that ammount of Actinic would cause the corals to get their florescense. thanks for any replies :) and I hope I can get a reef setup by the end of the year. ;)

There are better options out there IMO but yes, it is sufficient. You should be able to find a comparable fixture for about $100 less tho.

The spectrum of the LED's are not optimal, and you'll get light spillage since your tank is long and short from front to back. It'll probably still support whatever you want since the 20g is such a shallow tank.

For $300 I'd spend some time in the lighting section of the forums reading those loooong threads and consider a DIY LED build.

imo ... you'd come out way better

Look into the PAR 38's as well...

Thanks everybody this is exactly the kind of input I have been looking for :D

There are better options out there IMO but yes, it is sufficient. You should be able to find a comparable fixture for about $100 less tho.

What would you look for in a better option. I just saw this website in a fish magazine and looked it up. what other brands would be good?

The spectrum of the LED's are not optimal, and you'll get light spillage since your tank is long and short from front to back. It'll probably still support whatever you want since the 20g is such a shallow tank.

What would make a better spectrum? I have only have a rough idea of what kind of light I would need for a Clam and for acros.

For $300 I'd spend some time in the lighting section of the forums reading those loooong threads and consider a DIY LED build.

imo ... you'd come out way better

Look into the PAR 38's as well...

Do you know of anyone who has done one similar to keep similar livestock in a 20 gallon Long? I the thought of making one has definately crossed my mind I just want to know if I can mooch off someonelses setup :D

Again thanks for all of the advice. I also wanted to ask will corals grow in a pure blue LED setup or are those colors only for looks and wont grow anything. Thanks

Archived