inTank Media Baskets

LS dead?

Thornchase

So I took down the 10 gallon and put the sand in ziplocs and set them on my floor... When i was taking it out it smelt like dead people and sulfur... Is my LS not so live anymore? did it die? I just smelt it after being on my floor and it felt cold and had the same smell... What should i do? is it ok to use in my pico?

that'd be the build up of methane in an established sand bed, it can be toxic in high levels, and can cause problems in a new tank. the methane is reason people say, "don't disturb a dsb" and your best bet would be to rinse it with r/o water until the water comes out clear, but by that point the sand will likely have a lot of die off, so in my opinion, it'd probably be better just to buy a new bag of live sand.

plus, it'd give you an excuse to go to the lfs.. ;)

that'd be the build up of methane in an established sand bed, it can be toxic in high levels, and can cause problems in a new tank. the methane is reason people say, "don't disturb a dsb" and your best bet would be to rinse it with r/o water until the water comes out clear, but by that point the sand will likely have a lot of die off, so in my opinion, it'd probably be better just to buy a new bag of live sand.

plus, it'd give you an excuse to go to the lfs.. ;)

Very true! thanks!

The only place I can get sand is at petco... thats like $25 for 20lbs... i only need 5-6lbs of sand... I wouldn't want to waste that all! Could i put say 5lbs of that sand in a old shirt and run water over it for awhile?

Archived