Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Deez new 2.3g extra long pico project

deeznutz

if you find another one of these tank hit me up deez. i want it bad.

If you pm me I can send you the wholesalers name on one condition. I get credit for finding the tank and you can't post a build thread until i'm done :P

What unusual tank dimensions. Very curious to see what you do with it. I like Newman's idea of the nem stations.

L

Yeah that's why I'm so excited for this build. The narrowness is going to be challenging to build the over flow and aqauscape. But i'm up to the task.

if you find another one of these tank hit me up deez. i want it bad.

If you pm me I can send you the wholesalers name on one condition. I get credit for finding the tank and you can't post a build thread until i'm done :P

What unusual tank dimensions. Very curious to see what you do with it. I like Newman's idea of the nem stations.

L

Yeah that's why I'm so excited for this build. The narrowness is going to be challenging to build the over flow and aqauscape. But i'm up to the task.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK so I think I've decided on what to do for the over flow. I'm going with a standard 50pgh through the tank as a minim. This way I adjust as I go and not be restricted to a flow rate.

I used the RC calculator for 50gph and I get this result:

Using the following input parameters

Gallons per Hour = 50

Drain and Overflow sizes are calculated as

Recommended minimum drain pipe diameter = 0.29 inches

Recommended minimum linear overflow size = 1 inches

So i can go with a minimum 1/2 bulk for the drain. I think I will be using an overflow box. According the calculator I only need 1 liner inch to flow that much water. Problem is the surface skimming will most likely be none existent. So I think I'll be making the overflow box approximately 12" long to get the surface scum.

I'll be locating the bulk heads on the back glass of the tank one for the drain and one for the return. I've found that making them on the bottom glass takes up way too much space for a pico. I figure when I get the hole cut for the overflow, I can slip the bulkhead in place and then install the overflow box. I"m unsure as to how high up I should put it though. Any thoughts? I was thinking mid way just to be safe. I hope it's not too noises as well, since there will be no durso standpipe. I think I really need som advice on this one guys. So don't be shy :)

The return will be a 1/2" but I'm still debating on the drain. I have a 1" bulk ready to go so I might just use that. I guess for drains it's better to go larger then smaller.

So I'll be ordering my part tonight...

-dan

I know a lot of people are saying you should make this an invert-only tank, but I think a tank this size would be a perfect home for a barnacle blenny or 2. They stay really small, and are so entertaining to watch. If you are not familiar with barnacle blennys here a site where you can order them:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1414

I had one in my old 10 gallon, and he would live in a shell with just his head poking out but whenever he saw something to eat he would dart out like a bullet. They are so fast its ridiculous. Also yellow clown gobies stay really small too.

Will the overflow be located on the center back? Or on one of the small sides?

The over flow will be situated centred on the back wall. I have to determine how deep i want to make the over flow box. I'm thinking no deeper then 1" front to back.

I know a lot of people are saying you should make this an invert-only tank, but I think a tank this size would be a perfect home for a barnacle blenny or 2. They stay really small, and are so entertaining to watch. If you are not familiar with barnacle blennys here a site where you can order them:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=1414

I had one in my old 10 gallon, and he would live in a shell with just his head poking out but whenever he saw something to eat he would dart out like a bullet. They are so fast its ridiculous. Also yellow clown gobies stay really small too.

Those guys are cool. They look like they will live peacefully in groups. I'm going to do a bit of research on these guys. I wonder if they nip sps?

What a cool tank. :) Ya' got me thinkin' now...

Let your imagination run wild dude :)

So I've been doing some thinking about where I'm going to mount the tank, what I'm going to use and how high i should have it. So here are the details and what I plan on doing.

First off is mounting the tank on the wall. On average 2.3g of water plus the tank a bit of rock should weigh just over 20lbs. I'm sure brackets fastened to the studs will be sufficient. I mean my flat screen has been hanging for quite sometime now ;)

I've seen another member here with a similar tank mounted on the wall and he has gone with the floating look. It looks pretty cool, but I'm considering a thick aluminum shelf 48" in length to further dwarf the tank in a way.

As for the height, I'm thinking it should be mounted just below eye level. I know that eye level is different for everyone, but I don't think that this tank can be enjoyed bending over everytime just to see it. So I think the bottom of the tank should be mounted between 50-55" high. Thoughts?

Flow:

I'm really considering a mp10, but I think it might be too big for this tank. How big is the wetside really? Will it actually become an eyesore? How about the flow, can it be turned down low enough to work in a tank this size?

I don't want wires in the tank and making a closed loop pump in the tank is going to require a wire :(

Lighting:

I'm really considering the reefbrite 15" normal output led. I think the 24" will be too much light since there will only be about 4" of water to penetrate. What colour would be best? Blue, blue/white or just white?

That's all for now.

thanks

-dan

2 barnacle blennys in a 2 gallon tank?

Yeah... that and the lack of wires makes me think you should drill this. Do a decent return pump (won't take much), and at least a 10gal sump and you should have enough stability.

hahahaha deal.

2 barnacle blennys in a 2 gallon tank?

MAybe not, I haven't read anything on them yet. We will see. don't worry I'm still digging the invert idea :D

Yeah... that and the lack of wires makes me think you should drill this. Do a decent return pump (won't take much), and at least a 10gal sump and you should have enough stability.

The tank will be drill for the drain. I'll be using lock line for the return over the tank and through the wall.

The tank will be plumbing in to my existing 150 DT with 100g sump. So stability shouldn't be a problem B)

hahahaha deal.

Check you pm ;)

So I ordered some stuff online last night.

PLumbing:

1/2 loc-line with a flared 1-1/4" nozzle. Since I have access behind the wall it's going on, I'll be making the return line come throughout the wall. Like a floating return look. I hope it turns out :) I'll be using a maxi jet 900 for the return. i got one of those laying around so I'll try it :)

Lighting:

As for the light, I think the 15" reefrbrite might not be enough coverage. Maybe I should go with a 24" model?

Regardless of the coverage, I think these leds might be too strong even for the most light loving sps.

So I'm looking online for those cheap led strips. Anyone have any luck with them over a pico? Can they sustain life in a pico?

I also looked at building a DIY unit from rapid led. I don't thing it's as feasible as just buying a complete unit.

The only benefit is I have a ability to dim the unit. Which on the reefbrites you cannot i believe.

Flow:

I'm still debating if the mp10 will be too much for this tank. The only reason why i want one is that I can use it for a slightly larger pico down the road. Ideally I want a 10g really long to replace this tank down the road. 60x6x6. Any thoughts on the MP10 turned all the way down? Will the size of the wet side be too big in this tank and is it grossly overkill?

Alternatively, I have another alternative. Although it's a bit big, I think it might work well. The pump in question is the

Seio M820

dimenions 2.6" x 2.126" x 5.5"

Flow rate is 620gph

Flow rate is a bit on the high side, but is it too big? Tank is only 4x5tall so it's stick out a bit. I mocked it up in the tank with cardboard and it does seem a bit big.

thanks

-dan

i don't have leds so i can't really help with that, but 620 gph seems a little high to me. thats a little over a 200 times turnover rate per hour, and sps are usually kept around 80-90x turnover. also, the the length of the tank makes its pretty weird for flow...have you thought about two koralia nano's, the 240 gph on either side?

I would much rather running an mp10 on it's lowest setting of 200gph. and have the returns on the opposite side for random flow. whatcha think?

-dan

if you can get one, an mp10 will be enough. its just a 2 gal tank...

you don't need a ton of light, you just need to arrange it on the heatsink in a line to cover the entire tank evenly.

I completely forgot this thing was drilled...that's why I suggested the two koralias ha. but if you're willing to throw down the cash, I'd say go for it! I have a mp10 on my 40B and i love it! and now I want a second one..

if you can get one, an mp10 will be enough. its just a 2 gal tank...

you don't need a ton of light, you just need to arrange it on the heatsink in a line to cover the entire tank evenly.

I'm sure the mp10 is enough, I just hope its not too strong on it's lowest setting :)

I completely forgot this thing was drilled...that's why I suggested the two koralias ha. but if you're willing to throw down the cash, I'd say go for it! I have a mp10 on my 40B and i love it! and now I want a second one..

Word, i'm going mp10!

Add for the lighting, I want to use the vertex 24" strip. i know I don;t need a lot of light, but this one can be dimmed. What you guys think?

Remember, I'm going for an ultra clean look.

Is this drilled or not? If so, without return your turnover will be 100x and with return much more. That sounds like too much flow for anything other than sps with no sandbed.

Also, it's likely you'll get large waves on the surface.

Is this drilled or not? If so, without return your turnover will be 100x and with return much more. That sounds like too much flow for anything other than sps with no sandbed.

Also, it's likely you'll get large waves on the surface.

Yeah, it's going to be drilled. NO sand bed, i was hoping to have the mp10 on the lowest setting, and on long pulse setting or something. But a 100x should be great for sps :) I'm looking to do zoos as well. Hope i have enough room :)

-dan

igotreefermadness

Awesome man I love the dimensions. I have a Mr. Aqua 12g long which has very similar dimensions and I love it (refer to sig). I dont know if it was mentioned but one obstacle I had to overcome with the longer tank was the very sensitive way the water tends to "sway" as I put my hand or move objects in the tank, so I dont like to keep the water level any farther than 1/2" to 3/8" from the top of the rim. Just something to consider in your design. Goodluck

a56.gif

Hahaha, too funny. Where do you find this stuff?

If I am not wrong thats Canadian loot!

Cha-ching. I upgraded my tank to baller status :D

Awesome man I love the dimensions. I have a Mr. Aqua 12g long which has very similar dimensions and I love it (refer to sig). I dont know if it was mentioned but one obstacle I had to overcome with the longer tank was the very sensitive way the water tends to "sway" as I put my hand or move objects in the tank, so I dont like to keep the water level any farther than 1/2" to 3/8" from the top of the rim. Just something to consider in your design. Goodluck

Thanks man, I'll be checking out your tank for inspiration ;)

I won't be able to get my hands in this thing, its just too tiny. I'll be using forceps plus i hate getting my hands

wet :P

If my tank is 5" tall, what should be the height of my overflow box be, the height of the teeth and spacing between the teeth be? And the length of the overflow box itself?

I was thinking to run the overflow box 12" across the back and centred with tank. This way I will have a larger surface area for surface skimming the gunk.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

-dan

Archived