Pod Your Reef

Deez new 2.3g extra long pico project

deeznutz

What color combo did you use for the leds on this tank? All the colors are very Nice!!!

I'm using 4 clusters of 3 leds.

On the far left and far right the clusters are RB-CW-RB. The inner clusters are RB-CW-B.

Im liking the colours, but I might change out the cool white leds to warm white. I hear you get better colour.

But who knows, I'm lazy though. hahaha

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PICS!

So I got home today and my tube nem was looking extra nice, so i took a few pics. This guy glows like no tomorrow. i think I might get another coloured one.

Here you go.

bbb19e6f.jpg

d3ca33d9.jpg

fcd54631.jpg

6f11157a.jpg

b951aaef.jpg

48a8056c.jpg

Can you come take pics for LEDTRiC? Awesome build, awesome corals, beautiful pictures!

Thanks man, I would be happy to take pics for you! All you have to do is fly me out to where you are, give me a par bulb and we are good to go :D

will that anemone grow too big for 2 gallons? something tells me yes and then you'll move it out?

You make a good point, but I've never seen tube nems get that big. I've never had experience with these guys, so only time will tell. Knowing that it may have to be moved, i can relocate him in my qt, frag tank, fuge or dt ;)

Right now he fit in perfect. I won't be feeding him, unless I see decline, but I have had no problems keeping news without feeding for the last 6 years. I haven't tried under leds though.

Awesome pico! B)

Thanks man.

Update

So the tank has been doing very well. Glass is full of pods and no signs of a mini cycle. I didn't expect one since it's tied into my main display.

Unfortunately I lost my other goby and pistol shrimp. I found them both dried up on the floor, side by side :huh:

These guys were really devoted to each other and had a strong bond since they lived and died together lol RIP. Isn't it weird they both went hardwood surfing together??? Maybe my tank is too short for a goby/pistol pair?

Oh well. Looks like I'll have to make a top and an overflow cover if i want to keep gobies again. Since I've lost $120 in fish and shrimp in the last 3 week I might go another route for live stock. Not sure what though but I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas?

I've been playing around with the tank and I've come to the conclusion that I need more ZOAS! I also want to get some more SPS into this tank as well. I'm just worried the flow isn't enough at the moment, but I might have to take my chances since I have an abundant amount of frags that need new homes :P

The tank itself is very easy to work on and an absolute pleasure for viewing. The only problems I've encountered is my light spilling over the tank. I think the tank is a bit narrow and my next one is going to be 5 or 6 inch deep. I find that working in it is very hard without forceps, so I just want to open it up a bit and make it look a bit more airy with more sand bed for more... you guessed it ZOAS!

So with that said, I've got a new tank in the works. But for the mean time I'll deal with this one, I've made my mistakes with this second pico and it looks like my next one is going to be almost perfect!

I'm thinking the new tank is going to be 48x5x5 with and external overflow. IDK, i might go a bit longer. I love the long look. I'll be re-designing my led light as well. I have to find the right housing so that I don't get glare from the leds when I'm watching tv in the basement. I'll be running two dimmible drivers so I can dial in the colour perfectly.

Since the new tank will be a but deeper, I'll be incorporating a bulk head for the return on one side and I'll be pushing water from the other end with a mp10. I think a longer tank can handle it. So until I get the new tank, stay tuned for frequent update.

Summery for my new tank

Longer tank 48x5x5 Just under 5 gallons

External overflow

New led light with dual dimmable drivers and moon lights.

Mp40 for flow

More zoas!

Thanks for stopping by folks!

-dan

Awesome about the new tank man! I would say do it 48x6x6, I did my pico for the contest thats 20x6x6 and the only thing I would do is make it longer I can't wait to add livestock as these long shallow tanks look sick!

Yeah the 6x6 is really nice but I'm worried about the extra weight since I'm hanging it off the

Wall. We will see though, I haven't ordered the tank yet so my

Options are pretty open.

Regardless of which way I go it's going to be a sIc bi#%h. I just hope this is going to be the last

Tank I do. Unfortunately I don't think it will be Hahahha :P

I am hanging mine off the wall very soon, I am planing for it to sit on a 2x8 board lagged into the wall and then 3 brackets...Yours is only going to way 50+ lbs.

this is a really nice build! enjoyed your pictures.

i wouldn't get anymore shrimp gobies, they are all jumpers unfortunately.

this is a really nice build! enjoyed your pictures.

i wouldn't get anymore shrimp gobies, they are all jumpers unfortunately.

Thanks Squared, I'm glad you liked the pics and tank. I think I just might fore go those shrimp gobies.

Will a yellow clown gobi jump? I've heard they nip at sps.

thanks

-dan

I am hanging mine off the wall very soon, I am planing for it to sit on a 2x8 board lagged into the wall and then 3 brackets...Yours is only going to way 50+ lbs.

Yeah, true enough. I just hate having 50lbs hanging off the wall. 5 gallons is a big headache on hardwood lol

Get some pics up already lol

-dan

Yeah, true enough. I just hate having 50lbs hanging off the wall. 5 gallons is a big headache on hardwood lol

-dan

Try spilling 5 gallons on laminate floor....big pain in the...

did you turn off the flow for the pictures??

it seems like your tube nems is getting not nearly enough flow!

als make sure you feed it ! it will die if not fed enough! and yes it will most definitely outgrow your tank :P

i've seen some pretty huge ones :P

not feeding a tube nem is like saying i'm not feeding my sun coral XD

good luck :)

did you turn off the flow for the pictures??

it seems like your tube nems is getting not nearly enough flow!

als make sure you feed it ! it will die if not fed enough! and yes it will most definitely outgrow your tank :P

i've seen some pretty huge ones :P

not feeding a tube nem is like saying i'm not feeding my sun coral XD

good luck :)

I always turn the flow off for pics yo. Ok, i'll feed him, I thought it would be ok with just light. If it gets to big, then into the 150 dt it goes. I didn't know it was non-photosynthic. Thanks bro!

-dan

Try spilling 5 gallons on laminate floor....big pain in the...

no thanks, that's exactly what I want to avoid lol Sorry to hear hahaha

sorry to hear about the Goby and Shrimp. How could the shrimp jump out though?

I have no idea :unsure: It must have been love :wub:

RIP

8a1d1292.jpg

I got so new fish though. I'll post them later :)

-dan

new pics needed imo. whats this new fish you speak of? and my tank designs are no longer :ninja: and w/ pics

Well, i have pics, but I havent posted them because they have both hardwood surfed since I posted.

The 4th day in my pygmy wrasse jumpped and just yesterday my YCG jumped. This tank is just not fish and wallet friendly.

I'll post pics of them tonight even though they are in fish heaven :(

And i saw your post. Did you get the bottom pain yet? Whgat did you mean by saying you smoked too much B)

-dan

Well, i have pics, but I havent posted them because they have both hardwood surfed since I posted.

The 4th day in my pygmy wrasse jumpped and just yesterday my YCG jumped. This tank is just not fish and wallet friendly.

I'll post pics of them tonight even though they are in fish heaven :(

And i saw your post. Did you get the bottom pain yet? Whgat did you mean by saying you smoked too much B)

-dan

that sucks :/ maybe just do inverts? I really want to get a pygmy wrasse, but I know the pico is too small and I'm afraid i'll never see him if I put him in the 46 which will become a 135 this summer.

no bottom pane yet, probably no sooner than Thursday, i'm also thinking I want to replace the overflow pane with an 1/8" peice. and i guess i was wrong, you can't ever smoke too much, i should have said enough.

As requested, I'm going to add pics of the fish that I added to my tank that are no longer with me. Both went hardwood surfing :huh:

Firstly I added a yellow clown goby. Colourful and started eating after 3 days. Rest in peace little buddy.

271538cf.jpg

94cdb8cf.jpg

13b11227.jpg

The second fish I added was a pink streak pygmy wrasse. I only added him to this tank so i cold get him eating, before I tossed him into my main dt. The tank was full of little bugs on the glass and i heard they are hard to get eating. As soon as i added him, he started pecking away at the glass and rocks. Clearly he was eating. I got him on cyclopeeze as well and he was happy camper. He was not shy at all and was always in the open. I had a cover for the tank, but he managed to find the only hole to jump out of :angry: I'll be getting another one down the road, but He'll be going into my frag tank instead. ;) Here are some pics of when he was around. RIP little guy.

74d38444.jpg

bd72c7ca.jpg

69ea765d.jpg

5a93a513.jpg

63f5425b.jpg

Until next time.

-dan

Wow, sorry to hear. Do you have a little fish trampoline in your tank?

hahaha, not funny! I'm not sure why they are jumpping. I know with the meanwell drivers when they turn off they slowly fade and just after they go out, they give a last burst of light. I'm thinking this scares them and makes them jump. But who knows.

Looks like I'm only going to keep inverts instead. I want a whole whack(10ish) of sexy shrimp. But I'm worried they will eat my prized zoos. any thoughts?

-dan

Archived