Coral Vue Hydros

Deez new 2.3g extra long pico project

deeznutz

wow, we need tanks like this in the uk. we have some nice picos but nothing to this level!!!!! getting better with each update

Gee thanks, I'm hoping to get it filled in a bit more with zoas before my next photo shoot. I'm sure you guys have picos that are way nicer then mine. I'm a noobi when it comes to picos.

-dan

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no believe me we really lack even for nano equipment. even the diy led kit usually has to be bought in from elsewhere in europe or across the world. only a few bits of my led build came from the uk.

i dont have a pico yet but one of my forum sponsors has a 12Litre all in one on the way to me soon :)

no believe me we really lack even for nano equipment. even the diy led kit usually has to be bought in from elsewhere in europe or across the world. only a few bits of my led build came from the uk.

i dont have a pico yet but one of my forum sponsors has a 12Litre all in one on the way to me soon :)

That's weird, i thought the Europeans were ahead of us with fish stuff. I heard you guys are nuts!!! :D

I hope you get your tank soon, sounds like you have an itch to scratch B)

Man, that looks good. I love quality custom stuff like this.

Thank you, I'm glad you can appreciate the craftsmanship :)

Dang, that is one sweet little nano.

Thanks, but to be volumeterically correct, it's a PICO :D Did I just invent a new word?lol

I have a nano in the works :)

Update

Although it is an unfortunate turn of events, it's still an update. I came home and after dinner, I went to go check out my tank after feeding my DT. I was searching for my Dracula goby and he was nowhere to be found. I was like great, carpet surfing right? Wrong. I looked everywhere and he was nowhere to be found. I finally noticed my water level was a bit low. hmmmmm?

I went into my fish room and checked the return pump. Guess who i found sucked into the pump :eek:

Yuppers, Mr Dracula himself. I appears as though he jumped into the overflow box and went down the drain. which is where my return pump is. Poor guy didn't stand a chance :tears: Oh well another $90 bucks down the drain, no pun intended lol.

On a side note, I'm picking up new high-end zoas this sunday. Hoping to bring home 10 new frags of killer stuff.

As for the tank itself is doing very well. The tank is full of bugs crawling all over the glass. This is the kind of stuff you don't generally see in large display tanks and pretty cool. As for the lights, there seems to be no bleaching of the zoas. I'm running the elds at 10% and hope to get it up to at least 35-40% but I doubt it.

I'm also not sure if I'm happy with the flow. But then again, I'm used to super high flow sps tanks.

What kind of flow should I be expecting for zoas? I'm thinking a slight swaying of the polyps should be sufficient.

So I guess I'll be posting pics on sunday night.

Stay tuned yo!

-dan

Zoas don't need much flow at all. Just enough to keep algae and substrate off of them, so from what you've posted so far it appears you'll be fine.

Sorry to hear about your goby. It's one of the reasons to run a top, but you do lose the slick look of a rimless tank when you add a top.

Sorry to hear about your goby. Perhaps, you could try cutting some mesh just for the overflow as a way to prevent this or you could probably fashion up a little screen for the return inlet.

Zoas don't need much flow at all. Just enough to keep algae and substrate off of them, so from what you've posted so far it appears you'll be fine.

Sorry to hear about your goby. It's one of the reasons to run a top, but you do lose the slick look of a rimless tank when you add a top.

Cool man, I'll give it a try anyways. A cover will definately ruin the look of this tank.

sorry for the loss man. :( he was a really cool fish

He was a perfect fish, colourful and eating. Oh well.

Sorry to hear about your goby. Perhaps, you could try cutting some mesh just for the overflow as a way to prevent this or you could probably fashion up a little screen for the return inlet.

Good idea, I'm going to cut a small piece of acrylic to cover the overflow. A sponge on the return is a good idea as well. thanks yo!

Only two more days and it's zoas time omgomgomg

-dan

I just can't wait for tomorrow, I'm not going to sleep a wink tonight. I'm so excited to get my new zoas! I'm also getting a half dozen highend sps frags as well omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

My tank is doing well, but i feel the lights might be a bit bright even though its only at 15%. Looks like I have to either raise the light a bit or turn it back down to 10%. But for now, there is no bleaching.

I can't seem to find my pistol shrimp. I know he's alive cause there are caves everywhere. My other goby has paired with him also. Didn't know he was a shrimp goby.

Until my next update.

-dan

Turning down the lights when you get new frags is definitely a good idea. It'd suck to get a bunch of high end corals and immediately bleach them.

This tank is so bada$$!!! I love it!

Thanks man, i'm glad you like it! :D

Turning down the lights when you get new frags is definitely a good idea. It'd suck to get a bunch of high end corals and immediately bleach them.

That would suck to bleach out my new babies :o

Update with pics of my new babies!

So I came home today with a few goodies. Thank god for coral trading. I would have lost my shirt if not hahaha.

9 Zoas

7 SPS

1 Ric

I got all of the zoos into the tank and the colour was just not there. So I taped off all the white leds and bam, the zoos popped! So I pulled out the DSLR and snapped some pics. Unfortunately I don;t know how to take pics under blue lighting. I did my best with the custom white balance but I had to adjust the pics a bit. The colour is pretty close but it's still not what I'm seeing.

Anyone got tips on shooting under blue leds?

FTS

e2f77aea.jpg

9d8a2cec.jpg

bc94d44a.jpg

Zoas, zoas and more zoas omgomgomg

I'm going to let these guys settle in for a week or so. Some still haven't opened, but I guess they are shy lol

I want to transfer them to small pieces of rubble etc.

On to the pics!

Red PPe

c6a2989e.jpg

Amour of god and purple PPE

767bea22.jpg

Crazy ladies I think? And xman

98cae491.jpg

afd9b05d.jpg

Not sure what this is, but its bada$$

4001f559.jpg

Blood shots

d8b9746f.jpg

nightmares

89748bf0.jpg

Nice one

830ceb9d.jpg

Group shots

d0b7bd03.jpg]cfe86bf3.jpg

98cae491.jpg

4a9d3681.jpg

Orange zos

5d93326a.jpg

Ric

6de0da4d.jpg

Another FTS

cea98df6.jpg

I have a few more that I'll post later as well.

I hope you guys enjoyed the pics.

Until then...

-dan

Those new pieces look fantastic!

Anyone got tips on shooting under blue leds?

I'm not sure what you're shooting with, or how familiar you are with your camera and its capabilities but a good starting point is to shoot raw. Then, adjust the WB in post processing and you should be able to create something more accurate. Alternatively you can use the built in WB adjuster until you find the closest match.

damn, those are some sweet zoas. I can't wait to start working on my pico, finally decided to go with a 20" long build.

zoa whore!

:D

Don't judge me :haha:

Awesome additions!!

Thanks man, they are all finally open and showing their true colours. I'm in love with zoos again :wub:

Once they grow I will take a frag of each :P

Looks great!

Thanks yo, I send you frags when they are ready ;)

Those new pieces look fantastic!

I'm not sure what you're shooting with, or how familiar you are with your camera and its capabilities but a good starting point is to shoot raw. Then, adjust the WB in post processing and you should be able to create something more accurate. Alternatively you can use the built in WB adjuster until you find the closest match.

Thanks man, I'm shooting a little canon t2i with a sigma 17-70 lens. I do the post corrections but I can't get them exact. I used to shoot raw, but it takes up way too much memory. I'll give it a shot though.

damn, those are some sweet zoas. I can't wait to start working on my pico, finally decided to go with a 20" long build.

Thanks man, what are the dimensions of the 20" long? I can't wait to see it.

Outstanding guy. Looks flipping great!!! Where do you shop for corals? I may need to make a trip to your end of the world.

Thanks man, what are the dimensions of the 20" long? I can't wait to see it.

20" x 7" x 8", once I actually build it, it'll make a lot more sense why I chose these dimensions. but I don't have any intention of revealing the truth till 4/1 when the deadline for the pico contest is :D.

This is a BEAUTIFUL tank. I hope I have the space to set up a tank room like that with the sumps and fuges. WOW.

The pictures above are using the same light/LED combo from before? You just adjusted the colors on the camera?

Outstanding guy. Looks flipping great!!! Where do you shop for corals? I may need to make a trip to your end of the world.

Thanks man, I'm happy with it so far. I didn't do any shopping, just frag trading :P I have a few more pieces that I'm going to pick up. I just want to see how these ones do first.

20" x 7" x 8", once I actually build it, it'll make a lot more sense why I chose these dimensions. but I don't have any intention of revealing the truth till 4/1 when the deadline for the pico contest is :D.

Booo! You can't handle the truth lol. I wish I was in this contest. I wonder if I pull the tank away from the main sump and add a small 2g sump if i would qualifiy??? ;)

This is a BEAUTIFUL tank. I hope I have the space to set up a tank room like that with the sumps and fuges. WOW.

The pictures above are using the same light/LED combo from before? You just adjusted the colors on the camera?

Thanks man, if i were you, I would make room. It makes life so much easier and makes reefing more enjoyable. nothing beats pulling the skimmer cup, turning around and the sink is right there. woohoo!

You can make all the mess you want and your wife can't say" clean that sh$t up lol

The lighting is the same, but when i brought the frags home, with the cool white leds, the colour was a bit bland. So I tapped the white leds out for now to see if i like the colour and so far, I'm loving it! :D

I can't wait for them to grow in a bit.

Archived