Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Deez new 2.3g extra long pico project

deeznutz

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im pretty sure vertex lights are controllable with reef keeper light. but your right. for $3 - 400it costs for vertex. just diy a light and buy corals

I'd be looking for a fixture that blends in with the room but can easily be retrofitted with LEDs or T5 or whatever; maybe something like a pool table light.

Im pretty sure vertex lights are controllable with reef keeper light. but your right. for $3 - 400it costs for vertex. just diy a light and buy corals

Also this.

AWESOME!

Thanks b!

<3 this

Me too!

I know that it's support to, but I can't find any info online about it. Not even on the RKE forums :(

I think I might go check it out just to see, maybe not lol i"m so indecisive.

I'd be looking for a fixture that blends in with the room but can easily be retrofitted with LEDs or T5 or whatever; maybe something like a pool table light.

Also this.

Thanks man, Trust me I've been looking. It's hard finding such a small fixture..

that looks stunning mate!! great work!

Thanks man.

So today, I have some time to myself and I'm going to drive around and see if I can find some materials to build and led light. You'll probably see me mopping around home depot looking for inspiration. :haha: I already have a 12 bulb dimmable led light that I can hack up so I might just do that tonight.

The more i think of it the vertex light is too much light which ever way you look at it. Unfortunately I think i'm going to opt out for a DIY(again) fixture lol

So stay tuned, if the light turns out it will be up and running tonight with pics B)

thanks all!

-dan

I'm surprised no one suggested catalinaaquarium.com for lighting. I have 5 of their fixtures, I've customized each one. These guys are awesome, they modify any fixture to your specs. Easily get a T5HO fixture for your tank. Call them, they are wonderful to deal with.

I'm surprised no one suggested catalinaaquarium.com for lighting. I have 5 of their fixtures, I've customized each one. These guys are awesome, they modify any fixture to your specs. Easily get a T5HO fixture for your tank. Call them, they are wonderful to deal with.

I"m surprised too that noone mentioned them lol. Thanks for nothing hahaha.

I checked out that site, they got some pretty cool stuff. Fortunately I got my light project finish and hung last night :)

Now I know for my next tank.

Bad ass tank man! Ive been following since day 1. Very well done.

Much appreciated, I'm glad I have followers and I hope you've enjoyed it up to this point.

Scape looks great and fitting to the size.

Looking forward to see what you came up with for the light.

I have to say that locline really ruins it for me though. Locline is already an eyesore when submerged in a tank, to see it front and center above such a small and otherwise sleek setup is unfortunate.

Awww sorry I didn't check your post earlier. Well, pics of the tank with light on it?

No problem. I have pics but I'm going to make everyone wait lol

I'll get them up when I get a chance.

Scape looks great and fitting to the size.

Looking forward to see what you came up with for the light.

I have to say that locline really ruins it for me though. Locline is already an eyesore when submerged in a tank, to see it front and center above such a small and otherwise sleek setup is unfortunate.

Thanks man , the loclines idea sounded better on paper.

I'm on the fence about it. Some days i like it and other days im

Like meh. Worse case, I shut it down and

Drill two returnes. No biggy.

Another reason why I went this route is there is some little room

Inside the tank that a bulk head with a fitting would come out past

The half way mark of the tank.

We will see though. I'll have to custom something up.

I forgot to mention that I picked up some live stock today

Got meself an awesome goby pistol shrimp pair and few other

Goodies.

Until then...

Goodies.

Until then...

You tease!

Goodies.

Until then...

do want pics.

You tease!

Hahaha, maybe tomorrow if i have time :lol:

do want pics.

You would want pics. is there anything you don;t want :P

Ok, enough with the delay. Here's my DYI(again) Led light. I decided that the vertex would be too much light for the time being. I'm not going to want for a controller to be able to keep anything alive in this tank. Sps included. My existing led fixture is dimmable and plenty bright for this application.

Old Light, waiting to be raped for donor parts.

feffdfc4.jpg

Here is square 1" aluminum tubing and 1" aluminum stock. Both purchased from HD. I picked up some SS hardware as well. No need for a tap as aluminum is very to thread with existing hardware. Just a tip, if you drill a hold 1 size smaller then the screw, the new screw with thread right in cutting threads while tighten. Don't over tighten though.

59f2c7ea.jpg

Cut to length with a miter box and hacksaw. Decent cut with minimal effort.

f47b5716.jpg

I found end caps for this aluminum stock. So don't forget it!

1069fdd6.jpg

The essentials. Any decent DIY'er have the standard tools to complete the task. Captain Morgan especially.

Wife's out for the night and my daughters in bed. I'm good to go! ;)

302c0254.jpg

I decided to cluster the leds into 4 major groups. Starting from the left

(RB-NW-RB) (B-NW-RB) (RB-NW-B ) (RB-NW-RB)

68d06684.jpg

9df526a8.jpg

I stole a power cord from an old Bell satellite receiver. I ended up bing a little to thick of a cord and it kind of sways the light fixture since the light is so light. No pun intended lol. I plan on replacing the wire with a thinner cord down the road. Here you can see the install.

fd72b968.jpg

d114f5c2.jpg

I installed a hanging kit that i stole off my old Sfiligoi XR6 400 fixture for the time being. Pretty clean look.

b1a59051.jpg

19b87158.jpg

I love these hangers

f584da6a.jpg

Well that's all for today. So stay tuned for light over the tank and new tank mates :P

Yet still you tease!

very nice build! I saw the first picture and thought, "there's no way that shape can light this tank!"

It's worth noting that while not taping may work in some instances, it'll just strip the screw/not work if the screw's metal is too soft compared to whatever your heatsink is.

Very Clean! Well done.

Thanks, took me about 4 hours to pull off.

Yeah, I need alot of them due to the length of the tank, I plan on acclimating the coral to the light over a period of weeks.

Yet still you tease!

very nice build! I saw the first picture and thought, "there's no way that shape can light this tank!"

It's worth noting that while not taping may work in some instances, it'll just strip the screw/not work if the screw's metal is too soft compared to whatever your heatsink is.

Hey why not tease, it's fun and the build is done. I need something to post for the next week ;)

You are correct about stripping screws, that's why I used SS screws on an aluminum heat sink.

i wanna see more. now!

Patients young skywalker

I need pictures!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Pics are coming tonight possibily

That light is sleek! a very nice DIY.

Thanks b, I spent like 4 hours on it.

Archived