SaltCritters.com

Deez new 2.3g extra long pico project

deeznutz

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKleinReef
I like t5, but I can't find a nice 1-2 bulb fixture. Any ideas?

aquatic life makes a 2 bulb t5, i had it on my old 10gallon system. the only bad thind was tehre was only one switch so you had both white and blue on at the same time and couldn't turn one off or the other. it did the job well though for my newbie skills. (:

If you're looking for something ultra clean I'd suggest a Retrofit kit so it blends and matches everything perfectly. You could then just get the caps ballasts and wiring just for the two bulbs. This tank is 30", right? So maybe some 24" bulbs centered? Two of them would be overkill at 48 watts over 2 gallons.

Alternatively, you could mess with the internals of one of these, but obviously they aren't quality reflectors and don't come with quality bulbs.

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-2x24W-T...ure-p/52121.htm

C.I._Reefer

The Hagen GLO system is an awesome option, surprisingly. I bought one on ebay for cheap. It is basically a 2 bulb ballast with endcaps 2x24 or 2x39. u can order their reflectors, or get em elsware, and retro it into anything you want. Should cost less tha $60 with shipping and reflectors.

aquatic life makes a 2 bulb t5, i had it on my old 10gallon system. the only bad thind was tehre was only one switch so you had both white and blue on at the same time and couldn't turn one off or the other. it did the job well though for my newbie skills. (:

Yeah I saw that unit and its too big for this tank. The fixutre is wider then the tank. I need a slim line light.

If you're looking for something ultra clean I'd suggest a Retrofit kit so it blends and matches everything perfectly. You could then just get the caps ballasts and wiring just for the two bulbs. This tank is 30", right? So maybe some 24" bulbs centered? Two of them would be overkill at 48 watts over 2 gallons.

Alternatively, you could mess with the internals of one of these, but obviously they aren't quality reflectors and don't come with quality bulbs.

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-2x24W-T...ure-p/52121.htm

I would love to do that, but I need a case to get these t5 bulbs into. I have a few ideas kicking around. We will see what i come up with.

2 24w t5 will be over kill, but so is the vertex illumilux :)

The Hagen GLO system is an awesome option, surprisingly. I bought one on ebay for cheap. It is basically a 2 bulb ballast with endcaps 2x24 or 2x39. u can order their reflectors, or get em elsware, and retro it into anything you want. Should cost less tha $60 with shipping and reflectors.

This one is too big as well. I'm looking for a nice light. I need form before function :lol:

These are my options for lighting, more or less

24" illumilux blue

24" reefbrite

24" current usa light strip

24" retro t5 x 2 -24watters

Please vote on my lighting or provide a better alternative! :)

The tank is being water tested since last night and I ran a maxijet 1200 for the return and it seems to be perfect flow :D

thanks

-dan

Yeah I saw that unit and its too big for this tank. The fixutre is wider then the tank. I need a slim line light.

I would love to do that, but I need a case to get these t5 bulbs into. I have a few ideas kicking around. We will see what i come up with.

2 24w t5 will be over kill, but so is the vertex illumilux :)

This one is too big as well. I'm looking for a nice light. I need form before function :lol:

These are my options for lighting, more or less

24" illumilux blue

24" reefbrite

24" retro t5 x 2 -24watters

Please vote on my lighting or provide a better alternative! :)

The tank is being water tested since last night and I ran a maxijet 1200 for the return and it seems to be perfect flow :D

thanks

-dan

Go with retro t5 x2-24 watters.....

16bio

Find me a nice housing and I'll make a t5 light :P

you mean water tested as in its plumbed into the system now?

I mean water tested as in plumbed it to my wet bar sink in the man cave :)

It's just sitting there over night filled with water to make sure it doesn't leak. :o

So far the vote is at

24" illumilux blue

24" reefbrite

24" retro t5 x 2 -24watters 1

thanks for participating

-dan

For clean look I would say illumilux, or make something pretty yourself ;)

Super nice build man! taggin along!

Jb

Thanks man, I love the illumilux too! It is so sexy and I got the ok to buy it, but I'm still worried that it will be way too much light. I'm looking for metal suppliers online. Basically looking for a rectangular tube that I can use for the housing. Any ideas?

subscribed. this is sick

Thanks, I hope it turn out :)

16bio

Find me a nice housing and I'll make a t5 light :P

I mean water tested as in plumbed it to my wet bar sink in the man cave :)

It's just sitting there over night filled with water to make sure it doesn't leak. :o

So far the vote is at

24" illumilux blue

24" reefbrite

24" retro t5 x 2 -24watters 1

thanks for participating

-dan

Make your own! I do it for all my odd ball tanks lol. Just get some 1/8th aluminium, a 2x4 and a metal saw. I could help with a little designing of it if you want. I just finish one for a tank I did and it looks good!

I'd say do a custom retrofit! If you're comfortable doing a DIY you'll get exactly what you want how you want it to look. Judging from the rest of this thread you should be able to. I'd say 24"x2.

Make your own! I do it for all my odd ball tanks lol. Just get some 1/8th aluminium, a 2x4 and a metal saw. I could help with a little designing of it if you want. I just finish one for a tank I did and it looks good!

I had a diy, no time for it now. I 'd like to set one up again. I still have most of the equipment.

Looks like excellence so far. How did you make the teeth on your overflow btw?

Thanks! I used a table saw to cut the teeth. I had to set up a jig to make sure the cuts were all the same depth. Then I just move the fence over 3/4" at a time until i made enough teeth :) pretty easy stuff.

Nice specs, this totally can be a really cool little tank.

Thanks man!

Hmmm, I've been thinking of doing this as well. i'm also looking for some aluminum rectangular tube stock. I think i may have found it. Any pics of you light? I'd love to see it!

I'd say do a custom retrofit! If you're comfortable doing a DIY you'll get exactly what you want how you want it to look. Judging from the rest of this thread you should be able to. I'd say 24"x2.

Yeah eh? thanks for the motivation :) I love the DIY stuff. I'm still pricing out the materials. We will see

I had a diy, no time for it now. I 'd like to set one up again. I still have most of the equipment.

Stop typing and start a build thread :) Little tanks are fun and relatively inexpensive.

Have you looked into the SunBlaze T5 single bulb fixtures ? I ran 3 over a 5.5 gallon and they're amazing and super cheap. They sell reflectors on the same site for about $11.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/grow-lig...a1ad795ac54a445

Thanks for the link I have one of these lights under my DT for extra light when I'm under there.

I still need to enclose it in something though.

Update...

So the tank has sat for 48 hours and has passed the leak test :D

I'll be plumbing the tank this weekend into my main sump. A maxi jet 1200 works amazing and should be more then enough flow, even for sps from what i can see.

I'll be breaking up some LR to aqua scape tonight or tomorrow. I sure hope I can come up with an interesting

aquascape. I'm under a bit of pressure to pull it off, so I hope what's in my mind with look good in reality lol

The lighting is my only concern. the wife thinks I should just pick up the vertex this weekend. So I'm very tempted to just go an get it. My only problem right now is that I can't find any info for dimming it. I can't find anything online to dim it with. I have a RKE that I can plug it into, but there is nothing that says the led module for RKE will work with it. even though it's a 1-10v module. Any thoughts on the dimming aspect of this light?

I know that if I build my own, i can make either a t5 unit with 2x 24" t5 and a few moons. Or I can do 1 t5 with

12 cree leds on a dimmable ballast.

DIY fixtures

Option 1

2x24w - t5 unit with housing will cost me about...

$35 for the aluminum housing

$32 for the 2 t5 strips

$40 for the bulbs

$8 for the acrylic

$25 for a nice hanging adjustable kit.

Powder coating free :)

Total $140

Option 2

1x 24w -t5 with 12 cree led with dimmable ballast

$16 for t5 strip

$20 for bulb

$35 for housing

$100 12 cree led kit from rapid led

$30 shipping and duty :(

$10 for a fan, if i can find one small enough

$3 for a 10k potentiometer

$8 for the acrylic

$25 for a nice hanging adjustable kit

Powder coating free :)

Total $247 or $211 if I go without the t5.

Option 3

Premade fixtures, no wasted time building.

Vertex illumilux $270 plus $25 for adjustable hanging kit cash :) (sexy)

Current true lumen $127 usd plus shipping and duty approx $160 (cheap current garbage)

Reefbrite normal output $221 with tax (not dimmable)

So as you can see, it make sense to buy a fixture since the difference is not significant unless I build the 2 t5 light which would cost me only $140 plus time. I'm just worried the t5 aren't going to give me the pop from the zoos like leds do.

Your thoughts please. The weekend is coming lol

Not to complicate things further, but a single row of GU10 would probably work, or a single row of like the aquastyle leds. For a heatsink you could use some aluminum U stock.

Not to complicate things further, but a single row of GU10 would probably work, or a single row of like the aquastyle leds. For a heatsink you could use some aluminum U stock.

I just finish doing this on my pico, so far so good total cost for bulbs and sockets was $20!

Good idea, I've heard of that beforis it enough cooling for hotass crees? I'm not too sure about the colour with gu10's are people getting growth?

I just finish doing this on my pico, so far so good total cost for bulbs and sockets was $20!

Pics please :) You can't reply and not add a pic!

Good idea, I've heard of that beforis it enough cooling for hotass crees? I'm not too sure about the colour with gu10's are people getting growth?

Pics please :) You can't reply and not add a pic!

Fine I'll go take a pic or two for ya...

Heres one crappy shot of the light...

Heres one crappy shot of the light...

Its a peice of angle iron that I drilled 1/4'' wholes into then inserted 1/4'' hollow aliuminum rod into the wholes and pinch the end that went through the whole. Threaed my sockets into each piece of aliuminum and presto I have a $20 fixture, I am going to be doig a better one as I slapped this thing together in a hurry and its crappy.

post-71008-1331166248_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure about the light, but the pic sure is crappy hahahaha. I'm going to look into it. There was a thread here some where right?

I'm not sure about the light, but the pic sure is crappy hahahaha. I'm going to look into it. There was a thread here some where right?

Ya TinyGiant did a DIY thread...

Archived