Pod Your Reef

Deez new 2.3g extra long pico project

deeznutz

I thought I'd start a tally of every cent I spend. I know the wife has been pretty good with my spending so far.

Total cost so far in canadian funds B)

Tank $48.00

Plumbing and glass bits $72.51

Total so far $120.51

Things to acquire

As for the return pump, I have a maxi jet laying around that I think will fit the bill for the return.

I think I've decided on the Vertex illuminlux 24" Marine blu or Bianco, man these are expensive, but I think it will be worth it. I want my zoos to be very florescent and pop. I'm not sure if the bianco will have the pop factor. The Blu will have the pop, but I'm worried it will be too much blue. Anyone got any experience with these lights?

The acrylic for overflow shouldn't be to much. I know the place I'm going to has lots of scrap pieces laying around. I went there on saturday, only to be disappointed they were closed for that weekend :angry: I was pissed since it was a 30min drive. Oh well.

I'm going to need some silicone to seal the tank, just for peace of mind. The shelf that the tank is going on is one I found on the ikea website. I just have to go and get it.

So I hope I can get this thing up and running for under $450. I decided to hold off on the vortech MP10.

Something tells me it's going to be just too much flow regardless of the setting I use. This tank is just too tiny :)

I've also been thinking about the aquascape and I've decided on a theme. I'm still debating on sand or BB for this tank. I've also thought about gluing or some how making the floor solid sand, like an epoxy mixture with sand in it for texture. Any ideas?

thanks

-dan

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if your return pump is something like a maxijet 1200 (most likely, everyone has one of those lying around lol) it will be perfect to cover the flow for the entire tank. Plus, that way you won't have any ugly equipment in the display. Just make sure the overflow is built to handle it.

Making a solid sand base would be cool but realize that it will get covered coralline if it starts to grow and there wont be any easy way to scrape it off. It may end up looking funny.

I personally couldn't have a bb tank. I just hate the look of it, so I say put a small layer of sand in there.

I'm very interested to see the aquascape you come up with. This tank has a ton of potential. I remember your last tank and I wish you still had it running, it had style. Any way, good luck, I'll be checking in on this one!

I think if your return pump is something like a maxijet 1200 (most likely, everyone has one of those lying around lol) it will be perfect to cover the flow for the entire tank. Plus, that way you won't have any ugly equipment in the display. Just make sure the overflow is built to handle it.

Making a solid sand base would be cool but realize that it will get covered coralline if it starts to grow and there wont be any easy way to scrape it off. It may end up looking funny.

I personally couldn't have a bb tank. I just hate the look of it, so I say put a small layer of sand in there.

I'm very interested to see the aquascape you come up with. This tank has a ton of potential. I remember your last tank and I wish you still had it running, it had style. Any way, good luck, I'll be checking in on this one!

I'm sure a maxi jet 1200 would be enough flow. The only equipment I might put in the tank is an mp10 and those sure aren't ugly :)

You are most likely right about the solid sand floor just being covered in coraline. I prefer sand as well, but I don't want the hassle and maintenance that comes with it. how about a solid travertine floor? IDK, just throwing out ideas. I need this tank to be low maintenance, adding coral, feeding fish and cleaning glass is all i want to have to do on this one.

I wish my old tank was still running as well. It was nice and almost perfect, except for the husbandry that came with it. Which is why it was shut down. I appreciate your comment. I'm under pressure now to build a decent aquascape :)

I just received my nimble nano tank cleaner today in the mail. Pretty cool cleaner, but I just found out vertex makes a nicer one :( ohwell

Tank $48.00

nimble nano cleaner $17.56

Total so far $138.07

I just received my nimble nano tank cleaner today in the mail. Pretty cool cleaner, but I just found out vertex makes a nicer one :( ohwell

i heard that they dont clean any better then nano. id go with the nano mag or the new one that pico aquariums makes now

16bio

I'm located in toronto. I do ship frags :) pm me for more info.

Jrmiller

Yeah the cleaner doesn't feel that strong, but I was looking for something with a thin interior profile, which this one provides. Mag floats are too bulky for a pico.

nano-mags are the smallest.

Yes they are, but they are not strong at all. I had one and hated it. The sides curl up so you don't get a straight square cleaning surface. :(

i use a nano mag and razor blade. cant beat that combo. you only really need a razor blade though.

how is this concept coming along?

i use a nano mag and razor blade. cant beat that combo. you only really need a razor blade though.

how is this concept coming along?

Razor blade is a good option :) You asked, so you shall receive :)

Update...

So I've pretty much got everything I need for this tank build. I got off work early and managed to grab some acrylic, silicone and a shelf for the tank :D

I'll be in Niagra falls this weekend for a bachelor party, so I might not get anything done on the tank. The good news is I'm ready to go. I sealed the tank tonight with a small bead of clear silicone. I have tomorrow off and I won;t be leaving until late afternoon, so i might wake up early and make it a little overflow project. Only problem is, I'm lazy and I love to sleep in. I think I deserve it lol

Here's the good ol reef geek fts with parts :lol:

fef94009.jpg

Any thoughts on the orientation of the hangers? Should they stay like this or be right side up? The shelf is white lacquered under the protective wrap.

Total cost so far

Tank $48.00

Black acrylic with weldon $18.68

Ikea shelf $48.89

Silicone $9.59

Total $215.23

I hope everyone is enjoying this tank as much as I am so far. I can't wait to get this thing wet. All I need now is the vertex Illumilux 24" strip :happydance:

Until the next update.

-dan

Razor blade is a good option :) You asked, so you shall receive :)

Update...

So I've pretty much got everything I need for this tank build. I got off work early and managed to grab some acrylic, silicone and a shelf for the tank :D

I'll be in Niagra falls this weekend for a bachelor party, so I might not get anything done on the tank. The good news is I'm ready to go. I sealed the tank tonight with a small bead of clear silicone. I have tomorrow off and I won;t be leaving until late afternoon, so i might wake up early and make it a little overflow project. Only problem is, I'm lazy and I love to sleep in. I think I deserve it lol

Here's the good ol reef geek fts with parts :lol:

fef94009.jpg

Any thoughts on the orientation of the hangers? Should they stay like this or be right side up? The shelf is white lacquered under the protective wrap.

Total cost so far

Tank $48.00

Black acrylic with weldon $18.68

Ikea shelf $48.89

Silicone $9.59

Total $215.23

I hope everyone is enjoying this tank as much as I am so far. I can't wait to get this thing wet. All I need now is the vertex Illumilux 24" strip :happydance:

Until the next update.

-dan

I like it, keep the hangers the way they are they look great like that! Also Pm sent about corals lol...

Update again...

So I got a lot done today. I had to wake up early to drop my kid of at daycare, so I decided to make it a productive day.

I started off making the over flow :) I think it turned out ok. I made a little smudge, but whatever.

f5be8f6d.jpg

Test fit

9354ffbf.jpg

Then I tinted the back glass with 3m tint, 27% i had left over from my car. I decided to tint rather then spray paint this time around. I hope it last. Over all I think it turned out.

1e0957bf.jpg

e99ae6a9.jpg

f208f1d9.jpg

Bulk head and overflow test fit

0a085ada.jpg

I hung the shelf and this is where it will reside. I needed a tank in the basement and I wasn't allowed a large DT like my main floor. Thus the pico tank B)

ef3cbbfc.jpg

c8f7861a.jpg

ebe2712e.jpg

d3fc144e.jpg

8eb07769.jpg

30f6a907.jpg

So i'm off to Niagra Fall for an awesome weekend with the boys. The silicone should be cured by then, so I'll have to do a water test.

All I need now is some lengths of pipe, rock work, possible sand and a light. I'm worried the Vertex Illumilux will be too much light??? Any suggestions? I want my zoos to glow and I don't want a DIY light. I already have one and I just don;t like the look of them. I need it to either sit on the rim of the tank or suspended about.

Thanks for looking and have a great weekend all!

This will be a very nice tank. Im following!!

I do have a Vertex Illumilux 3 foot model. 50/50. Ive used this over a 46gal bowfront and right now over a 10gal nano.

Either case this light provided tons of light needed for all corals, Including sps.

Caution tho with a small tank, This Vertex Illumilux light will NEED to be hung off the rim of tank. Ive got mine 7"-8" off the rim of my tank.. and that is plenty of light..

The 50/50 models IMO does not provide alot of color pop. Ive started using antic lighting with this light and everything looks great.

Maybe get the all white model and find a slim antic light from ebay or els where for the color pop of your corals.

Either way for $400ish for a Vertex Illumilux it is worth it. But If your like me and love the antic look or a darker blue tank all day long, You will need an extra antic source..

Good Luck with your build. Looks great so far!!

Got to say love it man, your gonna make me one when your done right...lol.

Thanks man, this is only a temp tank. I'm going a bit longer and wider in about a year. So I'll ship it

Out to you when I'm done:)

This will be a very nice tank. Im following!!

I do have a Vertex Illumilux 3 foot model. 50/50. Ive used this over a 46gal bowfront and right now over a 10gal nano.

Either case this light provided tons of light needed for all corals, Including sps.

Caution tho with a small tank, This Vertex Illumilux light will NEED to be hung off the rim of tank. Ive got mine 7"-8" off the rim of my tank.. and that is plenty of light..

The 50/50 models IMO does not provide alot of color pop. Ive started using antic lighting with this light and everything looks great.

Maybe get the all white model and find a slim antic light from ebay or els where for the color pop of your corals.

Either way for $400ish for a Vertex Illumilux it is worth it. But If your like me and love the antic look or a darker blue tank all day long, You will need an extra antic source..

Good Luck with your build. Looks great so far!!

I plan on hanging the light as well. I know it's a dimmable unit so I hope I can get

That module down the road. I might go all blue bulbs and add a cheap white strip if I need it

Post a pic of you 10g!

man cave lol

I love my man cave. Two years in the making, but I think it turn out

Nice.

i cant wait to see this thing set up, looking good so far

Thanks man, won't be long now.

Looks neat. Im gonna be honest i just looked at the pictures so im sure this was in here somewhere just didnt feel like digging, but is the plumbing going to be tied into the larger display tank you mentioned?

Why not just throw a single bulb fixture above? It should be plenty for a tank that small.

A par bulb wOnt give me the coverage. Plus I don't want any light bleeding into the room. If it were a cube, then it would be a different story.

Looks neat. Im gonna be honest i just looked at the pictures so im sure this was in here somewhere just didnt feel like digging, but is the plumbing going to be tied into the larger display tank you mentioned?

Yeah it's going to plumbed into my 280g system :)

That looks incredible!

Thanks man. Glad people are digging it. Pico are fun cause they don't cost too

Much compared to large reefs. Can't wait to stOck it!

Builder Anthony

how about a little disco ball and raceing lights around the rim like ones lights up then it moves to the next one.i wont be happy till theres a hole in the wall then i get real intrested

how about a little disco ball and raceing lights around the rim like ones lights up then it moves to the next one.i wont be happy till theres a hole in the wall then i get real intrested

I'll try to get it cut out tonight ;)

Btw no disco balls lol

A par bulb wOnt give me the coverage. Plus I don't want any light bleeding into the room. If it were a cube, then it would be a different story.

Sorry, I meant how about a single t5.

Archived