ReefCleaners.org

Nano-Clown Death...help?

nfortch332

Hey everyone, I lost my single stubby nano-clown yesterday. I wasnt home on tuesday night and when I got home in the afternoon it was on the filter intake :-( . This is my first marine fish and tank, and it is a 5g tank.

I have a ac70 fuge with chemipure, cheato (run on a reverse light cycle) and a sponge. I probably have 8 pounds of LR.

Here are my params:

SG: ~1.025

Temp: 75/76

Nitrite: .04

PH:8.2

ALK: 3.3

Ammonia:0

Nitrate:0

I fed him every other day. Any insight as to why I may have lost him?

RIP

newestreefshotforfishforum.jpg

Thanks,

Nick

Check your water again. You shouldn't have a positive test for trites, but none for trates or ammonia. Without any symptoms before hand, you couldn't really say what happened. Do you test salinity with a refractometer or a hydrometer?

We're those tests done right after you found the dead fish? Now that I think of it, it would be possible to have trites if this was the case.

Check your water again. You shouldn't have a positive test for trites, but none for trates or ammonia. Without any symptoms before hand, you couldn't really say what happened. Do you test salinity with a refractometer or a hydrometer?

We're those tests done right after you found the dead fish? Now that I think of it, it would be possible to have trites if this was the case.

Hydrometer, and yes the water was checked today, fish was found yesterday and it couldve been there for about 12 hours.

5 gallons is way too small for a fish. Get a 10 or better, 15 gallons for one clownfish. YOu can't keep the water parameters stable to sustain a fish in there.

Get a refractometer as with an hydrometer your salinity might be over the top and you don't even know it. A small clownfish must eat more than a few times per week.

5 gallons is way too small for a fish. Get a 10 or better, 15 gallons for one clownfish. YOu can't keep the water parameters stable to sustain a fish in there.

Get a refractometer as with an hydrometer your salinity might be over the top and you don't even know it. A small clownfish must eat more than a few times per week.

First its a smaller tank. But more importantly Nitrites should ALWAYS be Zero...otherwise your tank has issues! Did you acclimate him correctly? Drop Aclim? Your temps are a little low imao...shoot for 78-79 F! BTW if you Trites then your tank may still be cycling but the fact that you have coral means that your test results must be wrong. Check your Nitrates and then Salinity with a Refractometer.

Also for your zoas/ shrooms & softies your should raise your Alk to somewhere between 8-12 DKH by dosing 2 Part or doing weekly consistent water changes. GL!

altolamprologus

Your tank is way too small, but it won't kill a fish. Nitrites are likely just from the fish being dead, but I would re-test anyway. Temp is a bit on the low side, but it's still acceptable and again it won't kill a fish. Buy a refractometer and re-test salinity.

Sometimes fish just die. You may have rushed acclimation, but I've seen fish dumped into a new tank without so much as temp acclimation and they've done fine. That said, I've seen fish die simply from the stress of being added to a new tank. Next time take your time acclimating, and turn off all lights for the rest of the day.

Also for your zoas/ shrooms & softies your should raise your Alk to somewhere between 8-12 DKH by dosing 2 Part or doing weekly consistent water changes. GL!

I'm assuming by 3.3 he is measuring in meq/L, not dkh in which case his levels are perfectly fine. Soft corals don't use alk (except in the case of species that have spicules) so that level doesn't really matter anyway and dosing by a beginner in such a tiny tank is asking for a disaster.

Your tank is way too small, but it won't kill a fish. Nitrites are likely just from the fish being dead, but I would re-test anyway. Temp is a bit on the low side, but it's still acceptable and again it won't kill a fish. Buy a refractometer and re-test salinity.

Sometimes fish just die. You may have rushed acclimation, but I've seen fish dumped into a new tank without so much as temp acclimation and they've done fine. That said, I've seen fish die simply from the stress of being added to a new tank. Next time take your time acclimating, and turn off all lights for the rest of the day.

I'm assuming by 3.3 he is measuring in meq/L, not dkh in which case his levels are perfectly fine. Soft corals don't use alk (except in the case of species that have spicules) so that level doesn't really matter anyway and dosing by a beginner in such a tiny tank is asking for a disaster.

Thanks for the help guys,

A bit more info. The tank has been up and running for about 3 months now. clown has been in for two months and never acted weird, so I highly doubt it had anything to do with acclimation, but being the newbie that I am...I dont know. As far as temp, im going to pick up an adjustable heater tmrw just to avoid the semi-low temp. What's an acceptable swing range for salinity? Reason I ask is that I dont have an auto top off or lid so im topping off every day

I also suppose I could be underfeeding.

lastly, is the 5g really too small for such a fish? I have a great LFS, and the clown was just one inch long. When It got too big I wouldve returned it.

Thanks again for everyones help, I appreciate any and all advice/criticism.

altolamprologus
Thanks for the help guys,

A bit more info. The tank has been up and running for about 3 months now. clown has been in for two months and never acted weird, so I highly doubt it had anything to do with acclimation, but being the newbie that I am...I dont know. As far as temp, im going to pick up an adjustable heater tmrw just to avoid the semi-low temp. What's an acceptable swing range for salinity? Reason I ask is that I dont have an auto top off or lid so im topping off every day

I also suppose I could be underfeeding.

lastly, is the 5g really too small for such a fish? I have a great LFS, and the clown was just one inch long. When It got too big I wouldve returned it.

Thanks again for everyones help, I appreciate any and all advice/criticism.

Could have been a disease and you just didn't notice the symptoms. Or you could have a fish killing hitch hiker.

Have you checked your temp at night? Maybe the heater isn't keeping up with the cooler temps at night.

For a reef tank, the acceptable range is 1.024-1.026 SG, although it can differ slightly without ill effects.

As a rule, you should never get a fish with the intent to return it/sell it when it gets too big. Only buy something if it will be able to remain in your tank for life (clownfish can live up to 20 years). For your tank size, you should look into small gobies or the genus trimma and eviota, as well as neon gobies and other small ones.

Clownfish are not active swimmers so a stubby clown in a 5 gallon isn't a problem IMO.

What is a problem is the nitrite in your tank long after you have added livestock. Ammonia and nitrite should always be at 0 one your tank is stocked. If your coral Is still alive and well then the nitrite may have been a false positive.

You could be under feeding but you would be one of the few. Many fish, clowns included, don't need to eat several times a day or even every day. In fact a well fed clown can easily survive several days without food. Mine enjoy eating pods of the glass as a between meal snack.

I agree that it may have just been diseased as well and it was only a matter of time.

altolamprologus
Clownfish are not active swimmers so a stubby clown in a 5 gallon isn't a problem IMO.

Not quite. A baby clown could be housed in a 5 gallon tank, but a full sized one would be a very heavy bioload. While it is true clowns are not active swimmers in the sense that they don't roam the reef, they still appreciate a couple square feet a space. Even a hosting clown will wander up to a couple feet from it's host if given the opportunity.

You could be under feeding but you would be one of the few. Many fish, clowns included, don't need to eat several times a day or even every day. In fact a well fed clown can easily survive several days without food. Mine enjoy eating pods of the glass as a between meal snack.

The key words there are "could survive". You could survive eating every other day but you probably prefer to eat a couple times a day. Especially in a brand new tank with very little micro fauna to graze on in between feedings, fish are best fed everyday. Agreed his sparse feeding is not what killed his fish, but a fish that is already fighting a disease is more likely to die if underfed, so it easily could have contributed.

Archived