inTank Media Baskets

Fuzzies.

patback

Anyone ever get brown fuzzy stuff on their rocks? I had to rearrange my rocks do to my pistol movin sand around, and ever since I have this brown fuzzy stuff growing. It looks like detritus, but is not easily blown off. Some does, but most hold on for dear life. Anyone know what it is and how to keep it under control?

Sounds like algae too me.

If that's the case you need to lower your nutrient levels. Perform normal water changes, feed less, increase flow. Turbo snails will also be able to keep it under control if you don't have any in your CUC.

If that's the case you need to lower your nutrient levels. Perform normal water changes, feed less, increase flow. Turbo snails will also be able to keep it under control if you don't have any in your CUC.

Blah, I just got rid f mine. Lol I guess I know wht I'm buying tomorrow. I'm not sure on phosphates, but I know my trates are acceptable. I also started recently feeding mysis. Maybe I'm not rinsing it well enough. Thanks for your help!

Turbo snails are just bulldozers and knock stuff over like crazy

Blah, I just got rid f mine. Lol I guess I know wht I'm buying tomorrow. I'm not sure on phosphates, but I know my trates are acceptable. I also started recently feeding mysis. Maybe I'm not rinsing it well enough. Thanks for your help!

Or maybe feeding a bit much. Having scavengers will help too.

godfathernikki
Turbo snails are just bulldozers and knock stuff over like crazy

^^ this was a big problem for me. I switched to nerites and I love them. I have 8 in my 12 gal, and it could probably handle a couple more. They are small but they eat constantly and can fit into small areas the turbos cant get into :)

I've gotten into a few arguments over whether or not turbos were good in a 10 gallon. Personally, I think a turbo did more algae cleaning in a month than the rest of my cuc did in 2 all put together. They did bulldoze quite a bit, but as long as I glued my frags or kept them in the sand, everything was fine.

godfathernikki
I've gotten into a few arguments over whether or not turbos were good in a 10 gallon. Personally, I think a turbo did more algae cleaning in a month than the rest of my cuc did in 2 all put together. They did bulldoze quite a bit, but as long as I glued my frags or kept them in the sand, everything was fine.

Well, it sounds like you already know what you want, and turbos aren't a 'bad' or 'good' choice, just depends on if it will effectively meet your needs. I would still suggest getting some nerites if you haven already even in addition to the turbo, as they can get to areas the turbo can't - I was skeptical at first because of their size that they would do anything, but 5 of them made the bottom 2 inches of my front panel spotless in a day(an area I never clean for fear of picking up sand and scratching my tank). I was sold immediately, went back to the LFS for 3 more totaling 8. And at a buck a piece they are hard to beat. Only had them for about as month so far but they are still going strong

I got the recommended amount from reefcleaners when I first set up( can't remember how many they told me) but I didn't see anything to great from them. Maybe I got stuck with sucky ones.

In the name of science, I'll pick up both and compare pros and cons. :)

Archived