Coral Vue Hydros

Dave's 40 breeder

drichards36

Had a nanocube for 2 years and ready to take the plunge into a bigger tank. Local reefer had a 40 breeder that was a decent deal so I snatched that up.

Most recent FTS (06/09/12)

b010i.jpg

Updated equipment list

40b/stand/20g sump

mag 7 return pump

Apex lite

Maxspect Mazarra P LED's x2 w/ controller

Vortech MP10w ES x2

ATO - avast marine

PH probe

temp probe

BRS doser x1 (getting 2nd later)

TLF reactor

Fish list

orange/B&W clownfish pair

coral beauty angelfish

Bangaii Cardinal

Red Firefish

Aw man. I was thinking of doing the same. Following along.

Take the plunge! 40 breeders are great if you want something that won't take all day to maintain and still has enough space to facilitate any nano fish.

Take the plunge! 40 breeders are great if you want something that won't take all day to maintain and still has enough space to facilitate any nano fish.

QFT.

The stand you have it on looks like a nice color. What kind of pipes do you have in the overflow? I just did a durso standpipe mod for my overflow and it made it completely silent.

Got my light in today as well as the vortech and miracle mud. Hopefully get this thing wet in the next week or so.

Added a cat to the tank, does that count as livestock?

img0696uq.jpg

My light inspector gave me the okay on this fixture!

img0700do.jpg

Yay for the classic cat in the tank photo! They might as well count as livestock :D

Its a very pretty cat! Is it a bengal? And what's his or her name?

QFT.

The stand you have it on looks like a nice color. What kind of pipes do you have in the overflow? I just did a durso standpipe mod for my overflow and it made it completely silent.

I haven't got any of the plumbing purchased yet, aside from the 2 pipes the previous owner provided. Drain is 1" and return is 3/4". I'll look into the durso standpipe mod, a silent tank would help me sleep at night.... literally :lol:

Yay for the classic cat in the tank photo! They might as well count as livestock :D

Its a very pretty cat! Is it a bengal? And what's his or her name?

Her name is Saffy and she is an Egyptian Mau. Pretty much a loud mouth, hyperactive version of a bengal.

Thanks. You're not helping.

Her name is Saffy and she is an Egyptian Mau. Pretty much a loud mouth, hyperactive version of a bengal.

I thought she looked like an Egyptian Mau. She's a gorgeous cat :D

• 2 weeks later...
drichards36

Received a few things I ordered in the mail today.

Avast ATO (plugs into my apex controller)

truelumen 24" LED strip

CoralLife 65g skimmer

vertex magnetic probe holder

PH probe

40 lbs argolite rock

20 lbs eco reef plate rock (help keep things flat on top for SPS)

Still waiting on my t5 bulbs, sand, and light hangers******* then I can get this puppy wet. Too soon to start thinking fish? I want to go with...

In this order

Fire/purple/helfrichi firefish pair (don't know which species yet, depends on pocketbook)

Midas Blenny

Hector goby

Leopard Wrasse

inverts

2x harlequin shrimp

1x blue tuxedo urchin

1x red tuxedo urchin

clams

I don't think the fish would be aggressive with each-other because they don't look alike but you never know with fish. I definitely need to make a cover because most of those are possible jumpers. I like firefish, always have, but my other tank had clowns and dwarf angels so they got picked on a bunch and ended up returning them. This time around, I want to make the tank around them with very peaceful, personable fish.

Adding the firefish first will allow them to get settled early on and feel comfortable with their environment. Leopard wrasse being added last because I read it eats cope-pods as well as prepared foods, so having a stable population of pods before adding should help.

What you guys think? Any opinions?

Louder than a Bengal ? That's gotta be entertaining my Bengal is a huge talker especially in the morning he never shuts up. Lol

Ohhhhh yes, I've heard bengals and Saph is definitely winning the prize on mouthy. She will continue to cry and cry and cry and cry........... and cry until she gets whatever it is she wants. She also enjoys running by me when I'm making food over and over and over.... you get the idea. Want to trade :lol: ?

drichards36
Intriguing! Can't wait to see water! I love the size of a 40B... Probably my (realistic) dream size!

Thanks Paigee! I think its my dream size, relatively easy to move the tank if needed and plenty of open space for corals and fish.

Hope you enjoy the 2nd MP10wES will be on the way tomorrow!

Thanks, looking forward to it! Hope everything goes well with your bigger tank build.

drichards36

Update, got the light hung from the aqualife hangers.

photo2hr.jpg

The problem with hanging the ATI sunpower was the stuff included was only meant for hanging from the ceiling, here are the 2 parts they include (one for screwing into the ceiling, one piece holds the wire suspending the light.)

photo5ex.jpg

So I went to home depot and found these for $2.

photo6tq.jpg

Works great.

photo4ifs.jpg

So.... WE HAVE LIGHT!!!! And water.

photo3io.jpg

Almost done with plumbing, soon the system will be ready for the long haul. Still waiting for the sand to come in the mail though.... been waiting a while for it.

What I did was drill a small hole on my metal rod and stuck the cable through and attached the supplied fitting on the other end. Worked great.

Are none of those bulbs daylight spectrum? Not saying that's bad at all, lots of people seem to run actinic setups, I just always thought that it seemed like the light was unusable! I know that doesn't make sense, but when I see the daylight and actinic side by side daylight just seems so nice and bright.

That's a lot of cool equipment you have there. It's definitely making me plan for a new tank. It's been so long since I've had a nano. Do you think a single 175w mh could light up a 40b?

Are none of those bulbs daylight spectrum? Not saying that's bad at all, lots of people seem to run actinic setups, I just always thought that it seemed like the light was unusable! I know that doesn't make sense, but when I see the daylight and actinic side by side daylight just seems so nice and bright.

That's a lot of cool equipment you have there. It's definitely making me plan for a new tank. It's been so long since I've had a nano. Do you think a single 175w mh could light up a 40b?

the blue+ bulbs put out a ton of par. And it also looks like he has a purple+ and possibly a coral+ or at least one "white" light.

the blue+ bulbs put out a ton of par. And it also looks like he has a purple+ and possibly a coral+ or at least one "white" light.

Yeah I did notice those other bulbs. It would be pretty sweet to have six bulbs to mess with! That's a cool equipment list for sure.

drichards36
What I did was drill a small hole on my metal rod and stuck the cable through and attached the supplied fitting on the other end. Worked great.

Wish I thought of that but DIY is not my forte or I probably would've made hangers like you did. I debated going rimless but I had a budget and a local reefer had a good deal on his, still think about rimless though..... Your build is sick. Where in Dallas are you? I'm up in north part, may have to look you up sometime.

Yeah I did notice those other bulbs. It would be pretty sweet to have six bulbs to mess with! That's a cool equipment list for sure.

Thanks! I bought my equipment piecemeal on the nanocube and cut corners here and there, finally decided it was cheaper to get the good equipment at the start haha.

Archived