Top Shelf Aquatics

UPDATE: Fluval Edge

Vortex

Hello all! Well after much debate I finally gave in and got a fluval edge 2 and so My Fluval Reef is born...

Tank: Fluval Edge 2 w/Stock LED's (for now)

Substrate: 8 pounds of "Live Sand" (Caribsea Ocean Direct)

LR: About 4 pounds (correction: 2 pounds)

Heat: Fluval 25w Heater

Filter: HOB Stock filter

Water: Caribsea Sea-Pure (wasn't gonna go there but at $1 per container...what the hell why not. Gotta love clearance items)

So far its day one and mistake one..lol not a huge one but still a dumb move. I decided to put in one of the containers of water then the sand.. :slap:

Pictures coming soon..... and

THANK YOU

all in advance for the help and constructive critisism you will provide bc I will need all of you along the way.

tank looks like crap. Id get rid of that big rock.

:P

:welcome:

cant wait to see it, what kind of livestock are ya thinking? any plans on different lighting down the road?

you're just mad bc your tittle has the #2 in it and mine doest which makes me #1 !! :haha: yeah i think i overestimated on that rock..its prob like 2 pounds. lol

thanks

you're just mad bc your tittle has the #2 in it and mine doest which makes me #1 !! :haha: yeah i think i overestimated on that rock..its prob like 2 pounds. lol

thanks

Pics?

No Pics just yet but I do have a question....I hate lighting, It confuses me, it excites me (depending on what I read about a specific fixture) and it upsets me..par this par that..spectrum here spectrum there..in my "stupid mind" id go buy a bright light bulb at home depot and call it a day lol but obviously thats not the case. Lighting scares me :scarry: So here is what I want to do....

I want to maitain a clean look in all aspects of this Edge and do not want to sit there and try to do it myself simply bc I will mess it up no matter how simple it is so with that said here are 2 options I have been looking at.

Option 1. Switch out the fixture to the 12 gal fixture (tank is the same except the 12 gallon is twice as high) that will give me 39 white and 3 blues (still 7600k) but at least its brighter and perhaps add a moonlight?

Option 2. Innovative Marine 8 Watt 10000K Skkye Light Clamp LED Light ($100)

Option 3. Innovative Marine Skkye Light Tablet 30 Watt LED Light, White Full Spectrum ($430 and would like to stay way from this option)

Option 4. Innovative Marine Skyye Light 30 watt Dual Spectrum ($430 and would like to stay way from this option...but dam the light looks nice lol)

so i'm sure option 3 and 4 are prob the way to go but will option 1 or 2 work? all im going to do here is put some softies...zoas, mushrooms, frogspawn, gsp, and some cloves...nothing crazy.

So anyone got any ideas, thoughts or smart asz remarks????

Smart asz remark #2: tank still looks like crap. way overstocked.

but I dont really have anything terribly useful to input on lighting--Id maybe post on the lighting forum for more help. I guess my only input is are you sure that those fixtures will fit under the hood? do you care if they fit under the hood?

your (maybe) easiest option on lighting is to locate an old nanotuners fluval edge led. they sometimes pop up on here for about $300-$400 and fit perfectly under the hood. they no longer make them so it might be hard locating one

also 2lbs LR probably isnt enough--something on the order of like 6lbs would be more appropriate. however LR comes in all different densities so the lbs/gal rule is more of a loose guideline. if it fills your tank to approx the same amount as other reefers tanks, your fine

also get some pics up!!!

Smart asz remark #2: tank still looks like crap. way overstocked.

but I dont really have anything terribly useful to input on lighting--Id maybe post on the lighting forum for more help. I guess my only input is are you sure that those fixtures will fit under the hood? do you care if they fit under the hood?

your (maybe) easiest option on lighting is to locate an old nanotuners fluval edge led. they sometimes pop up on here for about $300-$400 and fit perfectly under the hood. they no longer make them so it might be hard locating one

also 2lbs LR probably isnt enough--something on the order of like 6lbs would be more appropriate. however LR comes in all different densities so the lbs/gal rule is more of a loose guideline. if it fills your tank to approx the same amount as other reefers tanks, your fine

also get some pics up!!!

If you are willing to drop the cash on the $430 on the Innovative lights than save $130 and get an AI Nano. A few have popped up on this site for sale at around $300 with the controller. Just got mine a little while ago and it's awesome. You won't regret it. Good luck with the tank. Can't wait to see pics.

Stoops, thanks for the tip I will def look at that fixture as soon as I can and then make a decision on what route to take. Also, I took a look at your thread and your tank is awesome!

Now for Some Pics

Started with this...(ignore the 2 small internal filters on the left, I was thinking of going with 2 of those pumps but they dont give a ton of flow)

IMAG0454.jpg

Opened up the Fluval box and saw this... (UPS doesnt take care of the packages marked "Glass" apparently)

IMAG0462.jpg

So I immed went to Petco and bought one (i had a gift cert from amazon for it since it was my bday gift), While there I saw a marineland 11" LED and well bought it bc its gonna take a bit for me to find the right light fixtre for this. Now before anyone goes all crazy telling me how that light sux etc..i kept the reciept so its going back.

Stock Light..

IMAG0472.jpg

Both Lights...

IMAG0475.jpg

Stock LED

IMAG0486.jpg

Stock LED and Just Blues on the Marinelad LED

IMAG0485.jpg

obviously this is a work in progress. and now the task of removing the air bubbles begins..Any tips????

Stoops, thanks for the tip I will def look at that fixture as soon as I can and then make a decision on what route to take. Also, I took a look at your thread and your tank is awesome!

obviously this is a work in progress. and now the task of removing the air bubbles begins..Any tips????

You're welcome and thanks for the compliment. The light fixture you got doesn't look bad with your Edge since it's black. I haven't heard too much about the light itself though. Regarding the air bubbles, fill the tank up to about 1/3 of the lip on the tank and use a mag cleaner to push out the large bubbles out to the opening. The tiny micro-bubbles will eventually work themselves out with time.

Thanks and looks like the bubbles are working themselves out. patience is key as we all know...then again based on the full tank shot below I am not showing patience here but hey it was a gift and who am I to say no to free stuff. besides they are doing just fine.

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

I also had an extra ligh fixture and took it apart to add more lights in there but since i'm not a diy er..i placed it in the spot I thought would work but it just gives an odd line of light.

My sad Attempt at DIY lighting :lol:

IMAG0523.jpg

IMAG0520.jpg

See the line this added light gives off..not too happy about that

IMAG0518.jpg

Anyway, Any ideas / thoughts and all smart azz remarks are always welcomed!

tank still looks like crap

lol that was the last one I swear. is that gsp? youre right, it's looking fine--and while it isnt the most conventional method to toss coral in there right away GSP will probably be completely fine

also Im still thinking you need a bit more liverock than that to add with biological filtration. something on the order of 3-4x more rock

lighting upgrade looks pretty clean--good job! what kind of LEDs are they?

dang really last one?? well that just sux! bc all day I look fwd to your compliments!! lol

Yeah gsp, they weren't too happy at first for like a day but today as you can see they are all out. I will be getting some more rock but I cant decide exactly what type of aquascape I want to go with, I do know that I want some space in there so that it can have a nice open kinda look to it and maybe a fish in a few months or so.

Water flow: I have a koralia nano pump in there but i may go with another one for the other side to somewhat even up the look. Im worried tho if that will create too much flow.

BTW mmcguffi... I like the edge, (your) tank looks awesome!!

for what it's worth I have an MP10 and a koralia nano in my Edge and it works out pretty well. I think you would be fine with 2--Ive definitely seen people with two

and yea I know what you mean, it looks really good right now with a minimalist aquascape, but it's hard to decide what to do once you get more rock

Im a big fan of minimalist aquascapes--too bad theyre hard to take care of!

Looks like you're ready for a couple of tangs. J/K lol. Looks great though. Nice if on the lighting. Try tapin up the inside with metallic reflective tape, it should help with the light spread.

Thanks and looks like the bubbles are working themselves out. patience is key as we all know...then again based on the full tank shot below I am not showing patience here but hey it was a gift and who am I to say no to free stuff. besides they are doing just fine.

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

I also had an extra ligh fixture and took it apart to add more lights in there but since i'm not a diy er..i placed it in the spot I thought would work but it just gives an odd line of light.

My sad Attempt at DIY lighting :lol:

IMAG0523.jpg

IMAG0520.jpg

See the line this added light gives off..not too happy about that

IMAG0518.jpg

Anyway, Any ideas / thoughts and all smart azz remarks are always welcomed!

• 3 weeks later...

Update ..

Lighting: Stock LED's and added ecoxotic ecopico LED's (3 strips of w/b/w).

HOB Filter: Added Purigen and Chemipure elite

Water Flow: Initially had a Hydor pico pump but added 2 of these tiny Tom internal filters that pump out 46 gph. The water flow isn't huge but the filters are very smal and the flow is moderate, then again this part I think i'll leave it as "to be continued..."

As you can see it doesn't keep the "stock" look of the tank but they also do not take much room and they look ok to me. Additionally the light is everwhre in the tank.

IMAG0684.jpg

Feather Duster

IMAG0651.jpg

Mushrooms

IMAG0726.jpg

IMAG0728.jpg

These have some purple cloves on them as well

IMAG0729.jpg

FTS

IMAG0736.jpg

Right Side (the "rabbit" side)

IMAG0686.jpg

Left Side (there's an odd "hitchhiker" in there)

IMAG0687.jpg

Thanks for lookin... any thoughts or suggestions???

Cintax, ozzy thanks!! I appreciate the nice comments! Its what I was going for, a nice clean look with minimum rockwork and some cool low maintenance corals ..animals.

I agree on that feather duster, I wasn't liking for one but when I saw this one, I didn't hesitate on getting it...I hadn't seen one this color before.

Archived