Cultivated Reef

Jai's 20g long

Jai1985

hey, i'll give an opinion!

if i were you, i'd go with the most hardy of those fish, or the cheapest. even right out of the cycle, parameters can still unexpectedly swing, so i'd wait a week or two for the inverts, but thats just my two cents.

also, it's not on your list, but i think a royal gramma would be really cool in that tank. well, it kind of is..it is a basslet. and one last thing, worker fish are the best fish, so i'd definitely do a blenny, to eat up some of the algae, imo its nice to have fish that help keep the tank clean. :happy:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the opinion. I don't plan on adding anything for at least a couple more weeks. :-) but I would never add a royal grams to a tank this small. They are too aggressive. At least that's what I have been told.

really? everyone i know that has one says they seem to be really shy...i'm thinking about putting one in my 180 pretty soon, but i'm gonna see what i can dig up on their aggressiveness..

and also, don't flame angels get about the same size as a gramma? there is one at my lfs that is about 4" 1/2"..

Yeah they can get pretty big,but they are jot supposed to be aggressive. Then again however, I think it could all depend on the particular fish.

If you are going to do a Flame Angel I would not conceder any other angel in your tank. They can be a bit touchy, survival wise and the truth is they get a bit large for a 20l. A Goby, Flame Angel and a pair of clowns are probably about the stocking limit. I have a paired paid of False Percs in my BC29 and I am thinking of getting rid of them. Just to many of the same fish in a small tank. I would like more diversity.

The Aurora Gobies are nice. Not sure if this was a fluke but I had one in my 20l and it jumped though the screen top I had. Years ago I had a Bi Color Blenny as well and really liked it. If I get rid of my paired Percs I think that I will be getting a Blenny of some kind. I am thinking a Starry though. Then I will probably get a Pink Skunk Clown hopefully it will host my LTA.

Hey if you decide to get rid of your paired percs let me know :-)

Yeah I was thinking about the flame. I really like them but I don't know if it would be right for this size tank. You about nailed my plans for my stock list Deano :-)

Has anyone had any experience with bubbles in their sand beds slowly being released and floating out of the tank? I don't know what to think of this as I have never used sand before and don't know if its a sand thing or what.

Thanks for all the help and thoughts guys

+1 :-)

jedimasterben

Have you been checking ammonia and nitrite? Just because nitrate shows up doesn't mean ammonia and nitrite are gone. :/

+1 for royal gramma, neon goby, sexy shrimp, and porcelain anemone crab. Also look into pom pom crabs. :D

EDIT: Also, maybe look into a dragonet that is weaned onto frozen/pellet/flake.

Have you been checking ammonia and nitrite? Just because nitrate shows up doesn't mean ammonia and nitrite are gone. :/

+1 for royal gramma, neon goby, sexy shrimp, and porcelain anemone crab. Also look into pom pom crabs. :D

EDIT: Also, maybe look into a dragonet that is weaned onto frozen/pellet/flake.

Yes I have only been checking nitrates but I don't plan on adding anything for at least another two weeks.

Your tank is to new to have a build up of Nitrogen gas usually put off by a working DSB. My guess is it is simply air trapped in the SB from your initial setup. Also a new tank can get Dinoflagellates, a type of slime algae/bacteria. Usually it has a stringy slime type algae coming off the rocks or SB and it traps oxygen in the slime.

Dinoflagellates

thanks Deano, I think your right about the initial setup having trapped some gases in there. I will try to get some worked out when I get home from school tonight

That is the problem with that Super Fine SB, it packs down pretty tight. I prefer a bit courser SB.

Like the other post said get something to stir it up a bit with.

Thanks so much you guys, just walked in from classes for the day, and have not noticed any new bubbles in my sandbed since i got the other ones out earlier today when I had a break between classes. (I used my algae scraper ;) ) And yes Dino's are a pain!!! I had some in my 90 once and didnt think i would ever get rid of them :scarry: but Im pretty sure your right about the gas from initial setup. should I stir the sand bed occasionally? I know you dont do that with a DSB but this is only about an inch or so deep. The only thing im having to deal with at the moment is diatoms from cycling. I know they will go away soon. I have been using a tooth brush too scrape on a piece of LR rubble that has a lot of coraline on it so I can get it seeded in the tank really well.

Stirring not only takes care of the air bubbles but it also keeps my sand white as snow :-) , but these bubbles just don't want to leave me alone lol

How long should a diatom bloom last? I have had this one start about 3 days in and go away and come back yesterday... Strange?

Diatoms usually grow on things that have not be in the water before. I think they feed on what ever is on the items surface and once the food source is gone the diatoms will die. I have found with a new SB stirring it will cause a recurrence of Diatoms since you are exposing new surfaces of the SB to them.

How long they last is up to the system but a couple weeks should be about the end of them.

Stirring not only takes care of the air bubbles but it also keeps my sand white as snow :-) , but these bubbles just don't want to leave me alone lol

It is the super fine sand you are using.

Thanks Deano,

Your a regular old encyclopedia of knowledge :)

Test Results for 3/2/12

Phosphate 0ppm

DKH: 9

Calcium: 380ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

S.G. 1.025

Did a 10% water Change

My Tablet had a dead pixel after having it only 2 weeks! :angry: (grumble Asus) so I will not be able to upload any pictures or vids for about another week or so. When it comes back I will post some new photos. I pulled a piece of LR out of my sump today and moved it to the DT. It has some nice pink and green coraline growing on it. :D

Thanks Deano,

Your a regular old encyclopedia of knowledge :)

Test Results for 3/2/12

Phosphate 0ppm

DKH: 9

Calcium: 380ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

S.G. 1.025

Did a 10% water Change

My Tablet had a dead pixel after having it only 2 weeks! :angry: (grumble Asus) so I will not be able to upload any pictures or vids for about another week or so. When it comes back I will post some new photos. I pulled a piece of LR out of my sump today and moved it to the DT. It has some nice pink and green coraline growing on it. :D

Over 15 years worth a mistakes and lessons learned. By no means am I an expert or perfect for that matter but I try to make sure to help keep others from making the same mistakes I have already made.

I don't remember if you addressed your Nitrates already but 20 ppm is pretty high. I would ramp up the water changes a bit to help get them down. Maybe more like 20% or 30%.

Sorry about the Tablet.

The 10% water change was the first I have done on this system. There is nothing in it at the moment so i see no sense in changing it constantly. I was just going to wait for the cycle to completely finish to where I was absolutely positive it wouldn't make it just take that much longer. I have not re-checked the param. but it should be down some now. I figure with the nitrates slowly building that was the end of the cycle but i would rather be extra careful and wait a little while longer just to be safe.

Hope i didn't ramble too awful much, i can do that sometimes :)

TeenReefer.
:angry:

Hey, i don't know if you've changed the drain but, depending on the size pipe, i think i used 1.5, you can get the little fish guard form a koralia flow director and stick it in there... wooked well for me! also i found that if you do something like a 45 facing up and then a 45 down you get MUCH less noise. LMK if i need to clarify

TeenReefer.
oh i changed it.. I used a "T" and put a cap on one end so it looked like this...

..........Cap with hole in top

Tank --|

.......... Drain

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af72/de.../IMAG0390-1.jpg

this is what it looks like now...

holy salt creep :) looks good.... only problem i could see is with that fitting for the flex tubing looks a little small, but if its working for you no need to change it!?

Archived