Pod Your Reef

Nuvo 16 and Micro bubbles

NathanF

Just like the subject says. I've got an Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 all set up, cycled up, and the first fish in it - the clown from my Biocube. But I can't get it to stop spitting micro bubbles into the display. I've even gone as far as putting in enough water to all but fill up the pump chamber which I know is wrong. I'm at a loss. Anyone else have the micro bubble situation?

Just like the subject says. I've got an Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 all set up, cycled up, and the first fish in it - the clown from my Biocube. But I can't get it to stop spitting micro bubbles into the display. I've even gone as far as putting in enough water to all but fill up the pump chamber which I know is wrong. I'm at a loss. Anyone else have the micro bubble situation?

I have the Nuvo 30. Dont have a problem with micro bubbles. Maybe your pump chamber level is too low? I keep the water level about 1"-2" below the over flow of the chambers on each side

Put a porous sponge over where the bubbles are coming out. It will stop the bubble, but not the water.

Thank you for the tip.

I put some folded over filter pad on each side of the pump chamber to buffer the flow and it did the trick. I'll keep my eye open for a pair of sponges for a more permanent fix.

I have the Nuvo 30. Dont have a problem with micro bubbles. Maybe your pump chamber level is too low? I keep the water level about 1"-2" below the over flow of the chambers on each side

I had it that high at one point but was still struggling with micro bubbles. At that height the flow had enough velocity to separate from the side of the pump chamber and was creating enough bubbles to be drawn into the pump. I'll tinker with the water level to see if there's a sweet spot. I double checked the level thinking that being canted to one side could have been the culprit but it's good.

I've also noticed that when the water level in the return pump area gets too low I'll start with the micro-bubbles.

It's like a really fine line between the level though, sometimes just a little cup of water will help.

So now I just leave mine as high as possible, still being below the mark 2 side panels and the bubbles have stopped pretty much.

I still have/get a few, but the lower the water level the more bubbles. At least for me.

• 1 year later...
keithfullermusic

did you ever solve this? i have the exact same issue, and it's driving me nuts!!!!

did you ever solve this? i have the exact same issue, and it's driving me nuts!!!!

As the system seasoned, the micro bubbles diminished till there were almost none at all. Then once I added an ATO, I raised the water level just a little bit and they went away completely.

Archived