Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Snails and macroalgae

tsrebel

I'm planning to set up a 30litre saltwater tank with mainly snails, no fish. Then it seems obvious to go for a planted tank with macroalgae, and not a reef. I've bought some live sand, live rock, salt and I have a red mangrove in a freshwater tank that I plan on slowly introducing to saltwater. The tank will be kept at room temperature (23C), but in the summer it often gets as high as 30C.

I've loooked around for some exotic snails to add (when the tank has finished cycling), but most of the info I find are about snails for reef-tanks. I'm thinking about a couple of Nassarius, Ceriths, and Astraea. I'd really like some limpets and abalone, but the second one seems too advanced for me yet, and I can't find much info on limpets. I've looked at the Norrisia norrisi, but I'm not sure if it fits a tank like mine?

I would really like suggestions! I'd like some snails for show, not just for the cleaning.

My LFS don't have any macroalgae (I'll get them from other aquarists), and very few snails. I assume that I can order some, but then I need to know exactly what I want. I really appreciate any help!

Why does. Fish less tAnk mean no corals? It's much much easier to keep corals with no fish than macros with lots of snails. Most snails will also munch on your macros.

The only cold water "cuc" member I know is margarita snails.

Builder Anthony

i know there some orange ones that look cool or u could try hunting down a gold ring money cowrie.ive been looking 4 like a year for those

Why does. Fish less tAnk mean no corals? It's much much easier to keep corals with no fish than macros with lots of snails. Most snails will also munch on your macros.

I like the idea of a miniature ecosystem. I also like to know that my snails can get food whenever they want, and plan to have enough macros big enough to survive some munching. If some corals (some Zoanthus sp. maybe?) like the same conditions as macros, I may add them. I don't have a fortune waiting to be spent on expensive corals. Since this is my first attempt on saltwater, I suspect that it'll take some time to learn how to make the water perfect. My secret dream is to learn enough to keep seahorses some time in the future, and to start with macros seems logical. In addition, the light I can afford right now is probably not the best for corals.

There are large carnivorous snails, Triton Trumpet, that are not usually kept in tanks as they eat fish and other invertebrates but might work for you. It also gets large enough to be the main attraction. It does not fit your requirement of being able to eat whenever it pleases but it would be more noticeable.

Archived