inTank Media Baskets

Full Spectrum LED tank pictures

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

So I did a led vs t5 comparison over the tank yesterday

LED -1.2 white balance -0.7dots exposure

HDR5mp.jpg

T5 w/6500k,ultra blue and two 420nm purple plus -1.2 white balance -0.12dot exposure

T5hdr.jpg

Hmm I always seem to take a fits when my clam is burping lol

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If only you could see it in person...

Which then "in person" looks better? I set up my biocube with the stock lights, moved to the Nano tuner "upgrade" 4x PCs and then went to 36 LEDs.75 went straight to LEDs after cycled. I have never seen MH or T5 in person so Im not exactly sure what they look like. Folks talk about a 14k/20k look and honestly I have not a clue what that would look like in person. I set my LEDs on both tanks to the "pop" I like and the "happiness" factor/ polyp extension I see in the corals, adjusting (acclimating so to speak) them along the way. LEDs for me seemed more practical due to heat output.

Once I get all my supplies in and the light built I'll take pics. Ordered the following from Milad:

18 RB

12 NW

6 TV

4 DR

4 T

Should look good, at least I hope.

I will look amazing....its almost a larger version of my fixture....If your using a controller work your way up from say 30% upto

90% Royal Blue

80-90% White

True Violet - if your running 500mA 100%, if your running 600mA 90%

Deep Red - 85% @ 700mA

Turquoise - 85% @ 700mA

You will love the color combo I promise...

The reason I say 80-90% White is what you wanna do is bring it upto the level where the white light is dominant right past the brink of being blue...then lower it like 1-5% so you get that metal halide feel with a hint of blue. Unless you like the blue look, if thats the case run them in the 70-80% range... ;)

I will look amazing....its almost a larger version of my fixture....If your using a controller work your way up from say 30% upto

90% Royal Blue

80-90% White

True Violet - if your running 500mA 100%, if your running 600mA 90%

Deep Red - 85% @ 700mA

Turquoise - 85% @ 700mA

You will love the color combo I promise...

The reason I say 80-90% White is what you wanna do is bring it upto the level where the white light is dominant right past the brink of being blue...then lower it like 1-5% so you get that metal halide feel with a hint of blue. Unless you like the blue look, if thats the case run them in the 70-80% range... ;)

Thanks for the info. I will be using a controller, just trying to decide on the DIM4 from Milad or the Typhoon from BoostLED. Kinda leaning towards the DIM4 as it can do my fans as well without having to have them on 24/7.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post my setup here when I'm done, but I have the following in the works:

4 CREE NW

8 RB CREE

2 Red

2 Green

I have it going on a 5.875x12" Rectangular Heat Sink for now, with a DIM4 Controller and Relay and a meanwell style driver

jedimasterben
Was 4 TV overpowering your setup?

True 420nm violet LEDs put out very little visible light, our eyes can't see part of the spectrum it uses, so they appear dim. The colors rendered under it, though, are amazing, and their spectrum is right in line for photosynthesis of zooxanthellae.

In my 60-LED setup, I've got 16x 6500k white, 16x royal blue, 16x true violet, 6x red, and 6x turquoise. The tank is not too blue, and the colors of everything are amazing.

I just wish I could get clear pictures of everything. :(

quick update i'm wrapping up another full spectrum build. this one has

8 rb, 2b, 4 cyan, 2 red, 4 tv, and 4 cw. everything is ran at 700mA. the tv, red, cyan, and cw are one 1 channel. and the rb and b are on a seperate channel. i prefer going this route so the colors stay balanced it seems to work well. these pictures were taken with camera zoom fx, auto white balanced, on a samsung galaxy s2.

100% both channels

CameraZOOM-20120313202355447.jpg

100% whites etc, 0% blues

CameraZOOM-20120313202403843.jpg

100% blue

CameraZOOM-20120313202341518.jpg

i'll try and take some better pictures using a friends t3i so i can adjust post edit to make them a bit more true to life colors.

and yes i know its shorter thank the test tank its going into a bc29 so its finakl home will look much better

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Word of advice gabe (which I think you already know, its mainly for others) running the True Violet at 700mA in most cases will overheat them over time.

ok well to be accurate i'm running that channel at 680mA with 2 fans on the system the heat sink is sitting right around 78-80° i need to get a temp at the die but i've yet to have a problem running them at or near max. thanks for looking out though. on my personal tank i run them at full current and don't have any issues yet but thats a 4" fan on a 4.25" wide heat sink so there is plenty of air flowing over the heatsink.

also if you need to decrease your temps at the die look into burquist thermal grease is pretty much the best thermal transmission on the market. you have to use screws to hold the leds but if junction temps are becoming an issue for you try them out. i'm looking into reflowing my own leds using their t-clad/grease combo to see just how well it really performs.

My fixture is 4x9 with 30 leds running around 130 watts 6.2amp. 24v. Drilled and tapped. 2x 80mm 37cfm fans. Max junction temp between led and heat sink is 93 degrees for 4 hours at mid day. Once XML drop below 95% pwm temp drops to around 81-83. When mine burned they're optics they were running at 699mA

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
its listed on the data sheet, i want to say around 85° C at the die.

Im looking through the spec sheet and I thought it was 85C also but I dont see that number anywhere.

FYI the True Violets need to stay under 80C.

Any info of the setup to go with that picture?

It is a 40B with a mix of CW,WW,RB,Cyan, and red love the colors was T5HO then T5HO/LED now all LEDs :D

now

hmmm random....leds

White

IMG_20120309_183236.jpg

White + royal Blue

IMG_20120309_183522.jpg

White + royal Blue + Violet

IMG_20120309_183856.jpg

White + royal Blue + Violet + blue

IMG_20120309_184008.jpg

White + royal Blue + Violet + blue + red + turqquoise + uv

IMG_20120309_184130.jpg