ReefCleaners.org

Full Spectrum LED tank pictures

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Guys

Can you please help. I want to build a led unit on a 47' heat sink for my build to be 59 x 31 x 23 lps and sps tank. A few questions:

1.) Must I rather split my sink in two or just put all leds on one big sink.

2.) How many leds would I need for my new build,

3.) What type of leds would I need for the best light setup,

4.) How to arrange the leds on the sink, bundle or spreaded.

5.) How many drivers, what type of drivers and how to setup them. I'm going to dimm the leds through my Reef Angel Controller.

6.) Must I go for optics for the leds or just put the led unit closer to the water/

Thanx you all

Hello guys

Ok before I go and purchase the leds and the drivers I need your guys input please, this is what I came up with for my led setup:

leds.jpg

3UP X 18

OCW X 6

TV X 18

So it is a total of 90 cree leds

Will run the following drivers all will be Inventronics 75 W -700MA :

Driver 1 - 18 TV ( At 500 MA)

Driver 2 - 6 OCW ( At 500 MA)

Driver 3 - 18 NW

Driver 4 - 36 RB ( Can I run these amount of leds on one driver?)

What do you guys think?

Thanx

jedimasterben
Hello guys

Ok before I go and purchase the leds and the drivers I need your guys input please, this is what I came up with for my led setup:

leds.jpg

3UP X 18

OCW X 6

TV X 18

So it is a total of 90 cree leds

Driver 3 - 18 NW

What do you guys think?

Thanx

Looks good, but a couple of things:

Drivers - you can't run 6x OCW on the driver you listed. The minimum output voltage will need to be 54-108v, whereas 6x OCW will only use 51.6v maximum, less voltage if you run them at 500ma, and even less if you dim them any. Use the 40w driver for that string.

You can run the 18x NW on a single 40w driver, as well, barely, the forward voltage on 18x of them is 54v, which is the minimum for the 75w driver, so if you used the 75w one, you couldn't dim them any without them flickering.

As for the royal blue XT-E, you can run them on the 75w, again, barely. The forward voltage on that string is 108v, and the max for that driver is 108v. As long as you're dimming some you should be ok, I'd let Milad chime in on this, though, and see what he thinks.

chrssprngs
Maybe after the 29th? Haha. Thanks for the update.

+1

I changed my mind 10 times on how I wanted to set it up before I ordered. With the delays, I have just about decided to start a new tank and utilize the Makers on it.

Thanx for the fast reply your a legend, ok so it would be better getting the 40w 700ma drivers?

TV - 40w driver,

OCW - 40w driver,

NW - 40w driver,

Split the RB's for two 40w drivers.

So it equals to 5 40w drivers

All will be dimmed through my reef angel controller.

What do you think?

Thanx for the fast reply your a legend, ok so it would be better getting the 40w 700ma drivers?

TV - 40w driver,

OCW - 40w driver,

NW - 40w driver,

What do you think?

The reef angels comes with 2 Analog or PWM dimming inputs, but you have 5 channels all analog. Will the PWM expansion work for analog drivers like your inventronics?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Driver 3 - 18 NW

What do you guys think?

Thanx

The 75w driver needs at least 54v otherwise you will blow the LEDs.

Driver 2 would need to be a 40w 700mA driver

Driver 3 is barely going to get into range of the 75w, If you could add one more LED to this driver it would be ideal.

Driver 4 might just go over, at 700mA or a little less you may be ok. It would make a huge difference if you put two of these on the Driver 3 and then both will be in range easily.

TV - 40w driver,

OCW - 40w driver,

NW - 40w driver,

What do you think?

18x TVs wont fit on just one 40w driver

OCW will be fine

18x NW won't fit on just one 40w driver (almost though)

2x 40w driver for 36 RB will be fine.

Im thinkin of doing a diy ai sol setup with

8 Xp-g neutral whites

8 Xt-e royal blues

8 xp-e blues

I want 3 Dimmable drivers and was wondering if you suggest the inventronics 25w or 40w at 700mA.

Question 2: am i able to swap out a few blues for a few true violets? Im guessing i would have to run the whole string at 300-500mA?

OneTrickPony

How does this layout look, plan on mounting high above the tank an using 40 degree or tighter optics

any suggestions on drivers to use and how to split up the LED's

Thanks

jedimasterben
Im thinkin of doing a diy ai sol setup with

8 Xp-g neutral whites

8 Xt-e royal blues

8 xp-e blues

I want 3 Dimmable drivers and was wondering if you suggest the inventronics 25w or 40w at 700mA.

Question 2: am i able to swap out a few blues for a few true violets? Im guessing i would have to run the whole string at 300-500mA?

Way, way, way too much cool blue IMHO, only way the Sol gets away with it I imagine is that it runs them at a really low amperage, otherwise the water would look like windex. What size tank is it covering? I would just do 8x 3-ups (NW & 2x RB) and maybe 3-4 cool blue.

How does this layout look, plan on mounting high above the tank an using 40 degree or tighter optics

any suggestions on drivers to use and how to split up the LED's

Thanks

LEDs-1.jpg

What size tank?

OneTrickPony

I have a couple of tanks Ive collected, but its going on 24x24x30

As far as too much blue I was shooting for the 1 white & 2 blue ratio

mixing in a red, with a few cool blues and cool whites with the majority of neutral whites and royal blues

what is a better white to blue ratio

Thanks

jedimasterben
I have a couple of tanks Ive collected, but its going on 24x24x30

As far as too much blue I was shooting for the 1 white & 2 blue ratio

mixing in a red, with a few cool blues and cool whites with the majority of neutral whites and royal blues

what is a better white to blue ratio

Thanks

The blue comment isn't directed at you. Cool blue is the one you need to worry about, not royal blue.

I'm assuming you're planning on keeping SPS?

I would do:

10x 3ups

5x OCW

10x violet

Cluster together tightly in 5x clusters is my recommendation. If you're gonna do it like you have it, you'd need to hang it high or have dark corners of the tank.

The reef angels comes with 2 Analog or PWM dimming inputs, but you have 5 channels all analog. Will the PWM expansion work for analog drivers like your inventronics?

Yes you can choose to go PWM or Analog expansion for the reef angel but the inventronics drivers will work better on the analog expansion, you'll get a better linear dimming on the anolog. The Anolog and PWM expansion can controll up to six drivers.

QUOTE (boxofh2o @ Apr 24 2012, 09:50 PM)

How would 6 x 3up , 2 x OCW, 4 tv be? Driver for blues, one for white, and ocw amd tv on one?

You should get pretty good PAR numbers with that. As long as you keep SPS in the top half of the tank or so, and run the XP-G and XT-E at 1A, you should be golden!

Jedi (or anyone else!)

I am exploring a similiar build on a BC29 and have a few questions

-Any recommendations on optics considering how close this will sit on the tank?

-Will all of these LEDs fit on a 6" heatsink? If not, what is the minimum size you think would work?

I would love to make this system "modular." Meaning when I upgrade tanks someday I could build another one or two identical to this one and add them together instead of redesigning everything.

Thanks for the input!

jedimasterben
QUOTE (boxofh2o @ Apr 24 2012, 09:50 PM)

How would 6 x 3up , 2 x OCW, 4 tv be? Driver for blues, one for white, and ocw amd tv on one?

Jedi (or anyone else!)

I am exploring a similiar build on a BC29 and have a few questions

-Any recommendations on optics considering how close this will sit on the tank?

-Will all of these LEDs fit on a 6" heatsink? If not, what is the minimum size you think would work?

I would love to make this system "modular." Meaning when I upgrade tanks someday I could build another one or two identical to this one and add them together instead of redesigning everything.

Thanks for the input!

No optics, you'll get crazy spotlighting and disco if you use any optics. I would not do a 6" heatsink if you are not going to be hanging it, otherwise the corners of the tank will possibly be dark.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Has anyone got around to trying the OCW with Cool Whites and Royal Blues rather than neutrals?

jedimasterben
Has anyone got around to trying the OCW with Cool Whites and Royal Blues rather than neutrals?

I had the equivalent of such (blue, red, and turquoise individuals from you) with cool white and royals, and it definitely made a difference, but it still looks much better with neutrals.

jedimasterben

Sad face. I ordered two 12" kits but I actually don't think I need them anymore (was planning on using them for making full-spectrum LED units for my LFS, but after running the numbers, it doesn't look like it will be very profitable now). :(

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Sad face. I ordered two 12" kits but I actually don't think I need them anymore (was planning on using them for making full-spectrum LED units for my LFS, but after running the numbers, it doesn't look like it will be very profitable now). :(

We can issue a refund if you need Jedi. we are actually almost out of the 12" so its not a problem.

M@rine_lover

My DIYed Full Spectrum LED module...

•10x XTE Royal Blue (1000mA) - Channel 1

•1x XTE Cool White (700mA) - Channel 2

•4x XTE Neutral White (700mA) - Channel 2

•2x XPG Blue (700mA) - Channel 2

•2x Deep Red (600mA) - Channel 3

•2x Cyan (600mA) - Channel 3

•2x Ultra Violet (600mA) - Channel 3

•4x Actinic Violet (600mA) - Channel 3

•Spare – Channel 4

•Total 27 LEDs, ~80 watt powered by 3x ELN-60-48D

•GHL ProfiLux Light II controller

*Channel 1 & 2 lighted 60 degree Len, Channel 3 lighted with 80 degree Len, Channel 4 as a spare.

post-32699-1338392576_thumb.jpg

post-32699-1338392783_thumb.jpg

post-32699-1338392802_thumb.jpg

post-32699-1338392929_thumb.jpg

Archived