SaltCritters.com

Full Spectrum LED tank pictures

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

here's sample shot of a custom built light for a 18x18x18 cube tank i recently built. the tank pictured isn't the final home just my testing pico cube.

the final mix is;

12rb

6cw

4 cyan

2 red

2 cb

4tv

DIM4 controller

PAR is 400+ at 12" deep and 12 over the water surface.

its very unlikely that this system will never get pushed to full power.

Set to fade up a very natural looking sunrise sunset starting at 6am to midnight it sounds like a vary long light cycle but when you see it, its very natural looking and the first and last 3 hours are such a low output fade it looks great. but enough talking. here's the pic. it was taken with a samsung galaxy s2 not my 60D so the colors aren't perfect but you get the idea.

IMG_20120526_131036.jpg

-Gabe

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adrnalnrsh

I am considering the following design on a 20Lx15Wx20H

12" makers heatsink, two pods roughly 6 inches apart

post-39250-1338406618_thumb.jpg

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
IMG_20120526_131036.jpg

-Gabe

Im jealous

I am considering the following design on a 20Lx15Wx20H

12" makers heatsink, two pods roughly 6 inches apart

Thats going to be alot of light but it looks like a nice clean build/pods. You may end up needing to run your 3UPs closer to 500mA because of how much light they are going to output. Up side, they will run very cool and last a long time.

Adrnalnrsh
Im jealous

Thats going to be alot of light but it looks like a nice clean build/pods. You may end up needing to run your 3UPs closer to 500mA because of how much light they are going to output. Up side, they will run very cool and last a long time.

The next question is, how many drivers and driver channels do I need and at what mA?

Could I run the whites of the 3ups and the blues of the 3ups on two separate inventronics-40w-driver-700ma @ 500mA?

and one inventronics-40w-driver-700ma running both 3ups and the 4 TVs? @ 500mA?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
The next question is, how many drivers and driver channels do I need and at what mA?

Could I run the whites of the 3ups and the blues of the 3ups on two separate inventronics-40w-driver-700ma @ 500mA?

and one inventronics-40w-driver-700ma running both 3ups and the 4 TVs? @ 500mA?

8 whites on 40w 700mA

16 RB on 40w 700mA

TVs and OCW on 40w 700mA driver (dimed back to 500mA or lower)

Adrnalnrsh
8 whites on 40w 700mA

16 RB on 40w 700mA

TVs and OCW on 40w 700mA driver (dimed back to 500mA or lower)

If I ever got a bigger tank, I would assume I could upgrade the drivers for the 3ups to 1100/1300mA?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
If I ever got a bigger tank, I would assume I could upgrade the drivers for the 3ups to 1100/1300mA?

Correct.

Im getting ready to switch my JBJ NC24 to a 20 Long. I would like to build a LED light, and have researched, but I cant seem to find a general formation for "long tanks".

What is recommended and how many LEDs? Clustering for "long" tank or straight rows? I was gonna use the 3-ups,OCWs, and TV... Was thinking 6 3-ups, 3 ocw and 3 TVs clustered in 3 groups spread out over the tank...

Adrnalnrsh
Im getting ready to switch my JBJ NC24 to a 20 Long. I would like to build a LED light, and have researched, but I cant seem to find a general formation for "long tanks".

What is recommended and how many LEDs? Clustering for "long" tank or straight rows? I was gonna use the 3-ups,OCWs, and TV... Was thinking 6 3-ups, 3 ocw and 3 TVs clustered in 3 groups spread out over the tank...

My theory is pods of led's provide better light blending and running one pod for X # of inches. So in my case I am using two pods to go 20 inches. So I would add a pod per X inches depending on the size of the pod.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Basic rule of thumb is about 15-20 square inches of surface area per CREE XP LED. And then you just put the LEDs in pods of all the different colors and spread the pods out across a heatsink.

Hey milad do you sell optics that fit aquastyle leds looking for 80deg thanks

Nope we do not. All our Exotics have integrated optics. Our CREEs use standard CREE optics.

Basic rule of thumb is about 15-20 square inches of surface area per CREE XP LED. And then you just put the LEDs in pods of all the different colors and spread the pods out across a heatsink.

Nope we do not. All our Exotics have integrated optics. Our CREEs use standard CREE optics.

Will the 80 deg be worth it over the regular leds optic thanks for the help

jedimasterben
Will the 80 deg be worth it over the regular leds optic thanks for the help

What is a "regular" LED optic?

jedimasterben
I think the LEDs come with 120 is 80 a bit better for a mix reef

I don't think you know what optics actually do. Optics focus the light from the 120-140 degree cone from the LED diode. If you have your light panel sitting 8" above your tank, if you use no optics, you'll be spilling a significant portion of your light outside of your tank, and it is wasted. In that case, adding 60-80 degree optics would keep light spill to a minimum, and will also increase PAR ratings inside the tank because the light is focused on a smaller total area. Don't use too tight of optics, though, as you will create "disco" from the different colors not mixing well.

I don't think you know what optics actually do. Optics focus the light from the 120-140 degree cone from the LED diode. If you have your light panel sitting 8" above your tank, if you use no optics, you'll be spilling a significant portion of your light outside of your tank, and it is wasted. In that case, adding 60-80 degree optics would keep light spill to a minimum, and will also increase PAR ratings inside the tank because the light is focused on a smaller total area. Don't use too tight of optics, though, as you will create "disco" from the different colors not mixing well.

I will get the 80 to keep light spill to a min thanks

jedimasterben
I will get the 80 to keep light spill to a min thanks

How high will they be hung over the tank? 80 may be too much or too little.

How high will they be hung over the tank? 80 may be too much or too little.

They are 8in off the water and the tank is a 40B oh tanks for all your help

jedimasterben
They are 8in off the water and the tank is a 40B oh tanks for all your help

Yep, at least 80 degree optics. I had 60 degree optics on my old arrangement that was about 8" off the tank that was 48x12x21, and the optics were way too tight, made a lot of disco.

OneTrickPony

A quick question on LED drivers

Whats the difference in electricity usage between

running the same amount of LEDs @ 500ma at 100% vs 1000ma at 50%

Thanks

jedimasterben
A quick question on LED drivers

Whats the difference in electricity usage between

running the same amount of LEDs @ 500ma at 100% vs 1000ma at 50%

Thanks

Nothing. You'd have slight differences because of efficiency, but essentially the same.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Now June 11

The pre orders still might go out Friday. We are going to ship them as the orders came in. So if you were the first to make the order, you get yours first. We are cutting it close for Friday and we may be packing/shipping up until the last minute. If we don't get everything on Friday afternoon then most likley everything will be out Monday/Tuesday.

Mr. Microscope

FTS20120604.jpg

6 NW

4 CW

4 TV

2 660 Red

4 CB

8 RB

'Thinking about adding a cyan/turquoise just to see what kinda oranges/red get boosted. Also seriously considering some ocean whites (maybe split up to drive by individual color).

The pre orders still might go out Friday. We are going to ship them as the orders came in. So if you were the first to make the order, you get yours first. We are cutting it close for Friday and we may be packing/shipping up until the last minute. If we don't get everything on Friday afternoon then most likley everything will be out Monday/Tuesday.

Understandable for a brand new product from a new company. I would rather you take the extra day to make sure to order is right, then rush the shipment and be missing parts. Thanks. I think I need to add a potentiometer. Not sure if we cleared that up.

Archived