Coral Vue Hydros

Chase's JBJ sexy pico! (RIP)

Thornchase

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pros and cons of LED...

Pros: Look nicer...Last longer... No heat... Sleek looking... Not a huge fixture... Lots of watts in such a small area... Cheaper...

Cons: Have to order them... No credit or debt... Have to DIY... Have 0 tools... Cant run to the LFS and get new LEDS...

Pros and cons of 24" T5....

Pros: Can get bulbs cheap and easy... Not stuck with the same colors... Easy to move and dont have to hang... Not a DIY... Nice looking with legs and nice coral growth...

Cons: Larger fixture... More $$$ in the long run... Run hotter than LED... not as "sleek" looking...

Hmmmm...

My biggest concern is upfront cost/overall cost... and coral growth! I LOVE LEDS! but T5 is reasonable for the fact of shipping is the same as gas to get to the LFS but i get it faster :P

My biggest concern is upfront cost/overall cost... and coral growth! I LOVE LEDS! but T5 is reasonable for the fact of shipping is the same as gas to get to the LFS but i get it faster :P

I think T5's are better than metal halides only because they give out way less heat. But, LEDs are the best. Just super expensive. :(

I think T5's are better than metal halides only because they give out way less heat. But, LEDs are the best. Just super expensive. :(

The LED kit would be $55

The T5 would be ~$100...

But the T5 is easier to get

The LED is just hard to order

i have subscribed. i dont think ive ever seen the double tank action.

i dont know how to solder, but i think the next tank i do in a few years will be DIY led.

This will be fun!

Stocking Plan:

Many types of Zoas

Some Palys

Ric garden

Frogspawn

Galexea coral

GSP

xenia

Low light LPS

Softies

Mushrooms

MAYBE a montipora on the highest part! ive seen it happen!

Later on I may add a small goby.

This is the stock light stocking list! After the LEDs arrive i will make a new one that is capable with the LEDS

Here it is!

6799300970_ae55899c23.jpg

Untitled by Chase!?, on Flickr

6945412675_f1e9c84172.jpg

Water test!

6799302488_b41e433c19.jpg

Slowing putting in water so I don't have a sand storm!

6799302912_645011dae6.jpg

6799298034_ab28be4128.jpg

IMG_3302 by Chase!?, on Flickr

6945409129_cd6dfd359c.jpg

IMG_3299 by Chase!?, on Flickr

6945408913_dc3f38a5dc.jpg

IMG_3296 by Chase!?, on Flickr

So the first tank got here! The second shall be coming soon! So excited! Enjoy!

Better pictures when my camera charges and the water clears a bit!

I put my light as close to the water as I felt comfortable, when I was still using the stock light...Dude, I have two picotopes side by side, both connected to a 10 gallon sump, only difference is I'm hanging a 4 bulb 36" HO T5 over it, instead of a 24"

Eerie.....

I put my light as close to the water as I felt comfortable, when I was still using the stock light...Dude, I have two picotopes side by side, both connected to a 10 gallon sump, only difference is I'm hanging a 4 bulb 36" HO T5 over it, instead of a 24"

Eerie.....

Dang! and i thought I would be the only one! LOL

Oh well we will both have awesome double picos

colormyheart

Awesome! I'm glad to see this is up and running.:)

Be careful with those galaxeas later on, they have really long sweeper tentacles. Just make sure you keep them a bit isolated from future corals. :)

Awesome! I'm glad to see this is up and running.:)

Be careful with those galaxeas later on, they have really long sweeper tentacles. Just make sure you keep them a bit isolated from future corals. :)

Oh yes im very aware :) One of them already released its tentacle and man is it long!! I will trade mine later on for something :) My girlfriends is going in her tank once its up and running! My params have been swell so i thought why not!

colormyheart

That's really cute that both you and your girlfriend have tanks! :wub:

It's a shame that galaxeas are so difficult. They're so beautiful. :(

That's really cute that both you and your girlfriend have tanks! :wub:

It's a shame that galaxeas are so difficult. They're so beautiful. :(

Yea she fell in love when i told her and showed her some tanks! We will not have matching stock plans though :) she will have more softies and i will have more plays zoas and rics :)

When they get difficult, I will trade for some zoas or rics!

I thought palys, zoas, and rics WERE softies? :huh:

Oh well, sounds great! :happy: Have you decided on a light for the setup yet?

:o

What?

I thought palys, zoas, and rics WERE softies? :huh:

Oh well, sounds great! :happy: Have you decided on a light for the setup yet?

Hah listed ones I would like!:) an I'm going with an aqua style kit!

Thats awesome! I'm thinking about the Aquastyle 24 led kit to go over the new set of Pico's I'm setting up...For some reason I like setting them up in pairs...lol...But I have two pretty cool 5 gallon tanks

post-70886-1330841993_thumb.jpg

They were terrariums, so I had to slap on an extra layer of silicone to feel safe, but since they're deep, I figured the LED's optics would help get the light down to the bottom.

You still thinking about hooking them both up to the sump? I think it's a great idea. I was worried about hooking mine up to the sump, since the aquariums were already cycled before I even set the sump up, but it turned out to be a very smooth transition. I hooked them up like a week apart from each other, too.

Thats awesome! I'm thinking about the Aquastyle 24 led kit to go over the new set of Pico's I'm setting up...For some reason I like setting them up in pairs...lol...But I have two pretty cool 5 gallon tanks

post-70886-1330841993_thumb.jpg

They were terrariums, so I had to slap on an extra layer of silicone to feel safe, but since they're deep, I figured the LED's optics would help get the light down to the bottom.

You still thinking about hooking them both up to the sump? I think it's a great idea. I was worried about hooking mine up to the sump, since the aquariums were already cycled before I even set the sump up, but it turned out to be a very smooth transition. I hooked them up like a week apart from each other, too.

Thats awesome!! :) that would be cool to look at too since its not just a square!

Yeah, I have 2 of them, so I was debating whether or not to put them side by side or back to back, either way, I got them for $12.50 a piece on clearance at Petco, down from $50 each.

Yeah, I have 2 of them, so I was debating whether or not to put them side by side or back to back, either way, I got them for $12.50 a piece on clearance at Petco, down from $50 each.

would the back to back make a full circle?

Archived