Cultivated Reef

When are optics needed on a 12" depth tank?

bruinhd

Hey guys,

I've been searching through the forum and I can't find a consensus on this question. I'm using 16 LED's over a 12gallon tank, it has a 12" depth. At what point, AKA how far from the surface going up, do you think 60/80 degree optics are necessary?

I'd rather keep optics off b/c I think they are cutting my PAR down.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

optics will up the par not lower it..but their spread will be less so you will have to raise it more..i ran no optics on mine with 12" i dont think it is going to matter a ton with a shallow tank like that and you get better coverage this way

optics will up the par not lower it..but their spread will be less so you will have to raise it more..i ran no optics on mine with 12" i dont think it is going to matter a ton with a shallow tank like that and you get better coverage this way

Depends on how far you want your fixture from the water. If you want it high up use optics, if its 8" from the water you don't need any.

Thanks for this input guys. Very simple teaching point that I just didn't understand but now it makes sense.

Aye...for example I have a 16 inch deep tank and my fixture from led tip to water surface is 12 inches and I was keeping a clam on sand bed with its mantle depth at 12.25inches...without optics...but I put 60 degree optics on to kill the light spill...if they made 55 degree for my leads it would a been perfect..but I can deal with 2 degrees spilling on the floor...

I have 12leds with no optics on my AP12 and have very little light spill. I really like not having spotlighting and a nice even coverage. i keep acros and i've got full polyp extension on them. 16leds is going to be nutz! :D

I have 12leds with no optics on my AP12 and have very little light spill. I really like not having spotlighting and a nice even coverage. i keep acros and i've got full polyp extension on them. 16leds is going to be nutz! :D

Yeah I have the 16 LEDs running over my 11.3 gallon right now with no optics and I'm wondering if it's overkill. It's bright as hell.

can you guys post pics of your led set ups, im building my 8 gal cube, and would love to see them. @ecogirl your set up supports Acros with 12 leds cool.....where did you get ur lights??

rapidled.com

i used their 12 plug n play kit- it doesn't require soldering, you just plug the leds in and glue on the stars- couldn't be easier! w/o lenses $102 shipped:) they have a 7LED pnp kit for $65 i think. Depending on your tank depth and placement/ types of sps that could work for you as well.

sorry the pic qual is bad, I still haven't figured out how to take pics with the LED lights without it whiting out on top. It doesn't look whited out in real life:) The acros are near the top <6", I am not sure how well they'd do at the bottom, I haven't tried that. The montis are fine at the bottom...but then again they're not very high light coral.

and should add the green slimmer i had under PCs for 2 months and it was slowly dying, its just now starting to come back. The tabling red acro you can't see the polyp extension well--and i had just acquired it that day or a day before. I'll try to get a good top down photo this weekend. The polyps are fully out, its just awesome, i couldn't be happier (and neither could the corals!:)

post-21395-1329426276_thumb.jpgpost-21395-1329426437_thumb.jpg

Yeah I have the 16 LEDs running over my 11.3 gallon right now with no optics and I'm wondering if it's overkill. It's bright as hell.

i checked out your thread- i loved the aquascape on the first nano- really zen! As long as its not hurting the coral its fine...or hurting your eyes;) I see you've got your fixture hanging and i think i read its dimmable, so if its too bright why not dim it a bit (or put it up higher)

i checked out your thread- i loved the aquascape on the first nano- really zen! As long as its not hurting the coral its fine...or hurting your eyes;) I see you've got your fixture hanging and i think i read its dimmable, so if its too bright why not dim it a bit (or put it up higher)

Yes, you are right. I set my dimmers down tonight. All of the coral has opened up really nicely.

Btw, you're hot. I'm rich. We could have somewhat hot, somewhat wealthy children. But I refuse to relocate to Virginia, too many guns. I'm not a fighter, I'm a lover, and barely even a good one at that.

P.S. i'm not rich, that was a lie. but i have plans to be someday.

Btw, you're hot. I'm rich. We could have somewhat hot, somewhat wealthy children. But I refuse to relocate to Virginia, too many guns. I'm not a fighter, I'm a lover, and barely even a good one at that.

ROFL POST OF THE YEAR! lol

Yes, you are right. I set my dimmers down tonight. All of the coral has opened up really nicely.

haha. thanks. This body was not made for breeding. sorry to disappoint. And when push comes to shove...you know the 240g reef is always going to have more of my heart then a couple o kids. That statement officially makes me the worst person to ever breed. hahahaha. I'll stick to coral:)

haha. thanks. This body was not made for breeding. sorry to disappoint. And when push comes to shove...you know the 240g reef is always going to have more of my heart then a couple o kids. That statement officially makes me the worst person to ever breed. hahahaha. I'll stick to coral:)

Having just spent 2 months watching women's torso's explode while forcing blue sticky babies out of them, I can understand where you're coming from.

Having just spent 2 months watching women's torso's explode while forcing blue sticky babies out of them, I can understand where you're coming from.

Wow, that was really graphic. I think I may lose my lunch envisioning that. Its one of those things that can't be unseen. :o

Better them then us ;)

Archived