inTank Media Baskets

Spectrapure RO/DI Refurb producing dirty water?

mdisalvo55

I bought one of their refurbs a few weeks ago and it has been producing some inconsistent batches of water...has anyone else had anything similar? At first it made good water in the 0-1ppm range after the DI cartridge, then one day it randomly gave me a bucket at 50 ppm, then one at 30 ppm. Just yesterday it worked fine, and today it's making dirty water again. I tested it at the RO membrane, it was coming out at 30ppm, then I tested after the DI cartridge, and it was now at 50 ppm?? Does anyone have any advice or have any experiences that are similar?

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to update this thread and let everyone know Spectrapure went above and beyond. They happily helped me out, even though I have a minimal knowledge of these systems, and after some trial and error were able to determine the DI resin must have been prematurely exhausted due to a small leak in an O-ring. They are now sending me a new DI cartridge even though I knowingly bought a refurbed unit without a warranty. Don't hesitate to go through Spectrapure, their products are great and their service is excellent.

I just bought one of these refurbed units and did my first water change with it today. When you say it read 50ppm what are you talking about? TDS meter? Nitrates? Sorry if this is a dumb question but now I'm worried that I messed up my tank with the WC I did today.

AZDesertRat

They are referring to TDS. If you followed the flushing directions and measured the waste ratio and adjusted the flow restrictor if needed you should be fine but a handheld TDS meter is your best friend.

+1 to the above post.

A TDS meter is a good investment so you know when your filters are going bad in the RO/DI unit. I'd be willing to bet the water you used is perfectly fine though. Maybe in the next couple months pick up a handheld TDS meter, I see them pop up in the hardware classifieds sometimes.

I have a TDS meter. I tested the water I put in jugs for my next WC and it was 0ppm. I'll be sure to test pre-WC from now on. Thanks!

Archived