Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Moving from 14 gallon to 29

quikcolin

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some I sight her. I am moving up from a Biocube 14 to a Biocube 29 and want to know the best way of doing so.

My 14 Gallon is well established. It's super healthy and I plan to move all sand, rock, fish and coral over to the new tank. Can I move everything over (including water) and add the additional newly mixed water at the same time?! I will need to add some more sand and rocks (which ibhave and are new - reefer rock) and the sand is new, never used before.

Will this mehtod cut down on the break in period? Can I transfer everything right away?! It do I have to wait a full month or two?

Its been my experience that moving the water doesn't help anything, if money is a factor you can save some water, but its always been easier for me to put in my new rock, and then fill 75% or so with mixed heated premix, and then slowly move from the old tank to the new tank. Since that means adding the sand at the end, I always put egg crate down to give the sand a spot to go in the end. I add most of the new sand into the center, and under the rock work, then you can add the old sand away from the rocks. How much of your old base sand I would use, depends on how clean it is, stiring it up aggressively to clean it is not as good for it as just moving it, but I dont have more experience than 4 upgrades, so maybe someone else will chime in. I would mix my 30 gallons for the new tank, ahead of schedule and get it up to heat as well.

Of course, if the tank is going in the same location, I would still follow the same plan, but now you need to break your old tank down into buckets and storage areas. And make sure the buckets with the fish dont get to cold, etc, etc.

As for you having to wait, if you move the same amount of bio-load and all the live rock that supported that bio-load, the new tank will be cycled to that amount of bio load, obviously, the live rock is the main source of your biological filtration, as is the base sand, the Cycled tank will move with the move of those items, just dont think you can add a whole bunch of additional bio load right off the bat, as the moving of the sand, and rock, will disrupt those bateria a little, but not too much.

The best solution is to not move tanks, but simply expand your tank collection instead!

Take a step back and look at what's important and what's not.

I wouldn't worry about moving the water or the sand. I'd use fresh of each because the $ to risk makes no sense.

I'd also setup the new tank with whatever new rock and new sand I was going to use and let it cycle some first. Once the rock is cycled, then look at moving the rest of the rock, corals, fish, etc. If you can do it piecemeal then it would be better.

What you are trying to avoid is large swings in paramters, Ph, temp, salanity, bio load, etc. Putting everything in all at once, and you've now got your prized corals and fish in a tank that's completely out of whack with the rock in the tank, with god knows what stirred up from the sand bed. Bite sized pieces and testing means if (or rather when) you do have a problem, you can correct it.

So you're suggesting a full new cycle, once that new tank is established... move over the other rock, coral and fish?

I was hoping to avoid this step, but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done

So you're suggesting a full new cycle, once that new tank is established... move over the other rock, coral and fish?

I was hoping to avoid this step, but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done

I'm positive that it doesn't have to be done, its his suggestion, and it will work. However, what I was saying, is that you have a tank that has cycled in a 14 gallon, the live rock in the tank is mature, if you move that rock to the new tank, you will be moving the bacteria that was gained in the first cycle. Have you ever read or saw someone sell live rock from an established tank? The reason that it doesn't cause your tank to cycle is because its already "live" rock. In your new tank, if you moved only your existing rock, your new tank would be able to keep right chugging along, it would be just fine. If you were to add new rock that was base rock with no life on it, it would just get seeded by the existing rock, no ammonia or nitrite is going to get caused by dead rock, now if it was "uncured" rock, and had die off that is another thing, and would be the exact reason why they say to NOT add uncured rock to an established tank... Also, I am assuming that your old tank has a decent ph due to good husbandry, and that the two tanks are of the same salinity, PH, alk, etc, etc.

my 2cents

Im sure you can follow my logic, but if you want to sit and watch and have to wait for a new tank to cycle, you can, but Im not sure why you would want to do that? Again, I am assuming that you want to keep all your old rock, that their is not a algae problem, or something bad in it that you DONT want to transfer.

-john

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some I sight her. I am moving up from a Biocube 14 to a Biocube 29 and want to know the best way of doing so.

My 14 Gallon is well established. It's super healthy and I plan to move all sand, rock, fish and coral over to the new tank. Can I move everything over (including water) and add the additional newly mixed water at the same time?! I will need to add some more sand and rocks (which ibhave and are new - reefer rock) and the sand is new, never used before.

Will this mehtod cut down on the break in period? Can I transfer everything right away?! It do I have to wait a full month or two?

I did this last year, i used new sand and water, moving your sandbed will only disturb and release alot of stuff you dont want that could cause a crash. WIth that i let it run 2 days make sure the new salinty and ph were good then moved over as much of my live rock as i could. I also moved over my chemi our and purigen bags that had some build up on the to boost bacteria. Add the new rock and let it run for a few days, it should then be able to handle your current livestock, i wouldnt add anyhting else till the new sand and rock would have the numbers to support more bioload. I used this same method moving form the 29 over to my current 55.

Mind you i still have my 14 running next to the 55, if you can manage i agree with collecting tanks LOL

When I moved my 40 into a 65 ....

I was using the same stand and the tank was going in the same location.Basically a tank swap.

I drained my 40 into buckets and tubs, then took out all the rock, corals, fish.

Got the 65 in place with new sand and started filling with new SW (35 gallons)

Placed all the LR, including a couple new pieces. This took the longest amount of time and I had LR+Coral out of the water for periods of time repeatedly.

Once I got all that squared away, more or less, I put the remaining corals in the tank along with the fish.

Filled er up with some of the old water and fired the tank up.

Next day, water was clear, corals were open and fish swimming ... no prob.

IMG_29813.jpg

best-o-luck

When I moved my 40 into a 65 ....

I was using the same stand and the tank was going in the same location.Basically a tank swap.

I drained my 40 into buckets and tubs, then took out all the rock, corals, fish.

Got the 65 in place with new sand and started filling with new SW (35 gallons)

Placed all the LR, including a couple new pieces. This took the longest amount of time and I had LR+Coral out of the water for periods of time repeatedly.

Once I got all that squared away, more or less, I put the remaining corals in the tank along with the fish.

Filled er up with some of the old water and fired the tank up.

Next day, water was clear, corals were open and fish swimming ... no prob.

IMG_29813.jpg

best-o-luck

Glad to see others telling the OP that he can move his tank without a recycle, and most share the same opinion that new substrate is necessary. Thanks for linking to your post Steve, BTW, I notice you said you rinsed your sand? I keep hearing that for live sand to not do this, but mostly because everyone is talking about Fresh Water, rinsing it in Saltwater wont cause a problem? (thats a question, not a statement). I live (20 mi) near the Scripts peer and can get free saltwater, I usually bring 5 gallon buckets and rinse it there, (letting the rinse just run off back to the ocean). I've read that with the newer stuff, you dont need to rinse at all? Opinions? Im sure it will help the OP on his method of getting new live sand...

As usual, this site has proved to be a huge help! Thanks to everyone who his chimed in.

My plan is to set up the new 29 gallon in a new location (the next room over). Fill it with fresh sand, and prepare the fresh water. I'll put the brand new reefer rock in as well. Then I'll bring a few LRs over and let it do it's thing for a few days. After all parameters are in check, I will move the remaining LRs, coral and fish over.

Stevie - I have your inTank media basket in my 14 gallon, and was happy to hear that the new tank I'm getting (it's used) has an inTank media basket in it already! I'm sure I'll be ordering some fresh lights for it, etc from you in the near future!

Here's my current 14 gallon BioCube (I've moved things around a little since this video... but it gives you an idea what I'm working with :)

Archived