Top Shelf Aquatics

Is it normal?

nye15

As the title says, is it normal for zoas to close up for a day or so? I picked up a frag of zoas a week and a half ago and they opened up right away, and have been doing so since then up until yesterday. I noticed that they stayed closed all day long while the lights were on. Is this normal zoa behavior? Thanks!

Its possible that they got irritated by something in the tank. If they dont open after a few days then I would worry. You could also look for harmful hitch hikers that might have come in with one of your frags that could be killing them. When your lights go out look around your tank for little yellow crawling nudibranch. Google zoanthid eating nudibranch so you know what you are looking for in the tank. Also what are your water parameters? those particular zoas could be more sensitive then your others and a change in your water quality might have effected them.

Completely normal.

I wouldnt worry unless you see them melting, or stay closed for more than a week or two.

(ive had zoas stay closed for as long as 2 weeks, nothing to stress about)

Are there any other zoas in close proximity? other corals?

Corals can be very territorial, and closing up could be a defensive action in some cases.

Completely normal.

I wouldnt worry unless you see them melting, or stay closed for more than a week or two.

(ive had zoas stay closed for as long as 2 weeks, nothing to stress about)

Are there any other zoas in close proximity? other corals?

No other zoas near there.

Corals can be very territorial, and closing up could be a defensive action in some cases.

Id wait a few days and see what happens.

Its always a good idea to keep an eye out for nasty critters/hitchikers.

Thanks, I will.

I have to respectfully dissagree with a few of these posts. If it was an hour i would say a crab or snail bothered them. If its a day or more i would start checking paremeters. If they check out good i would get the frag close and inspect it closely top and bottom because this could possibly be a nudi. I had a nudi harass my gsp for weeks before i finally cought him in the act one day. The thing that makes them tough to find is that they usually are the same collors as what they like to eat.

Also make sure there are no lps with sweepers that can reach them. And remember alot of sweepers are nocturnal.

Probably a hermit crab walking on them or something.

I did notice a hermit walking on the frag this morning. Unfortunately I can't remove the frag because I already glued it in it's spot on the rock.

I did notice a hermit walking on the frag this morning. Unfortunately I can't remove the frag because I already glued it in it's spot on the rock.

Yeah not much you can do about it.. hermits and snails agitating coral is part of the reef-keeping experience.

Yeah not much you can do about it.. hermits and snails agitating coral is part of the reef-keeping experience.

Yes sir. I have a clown that wont stop rubbing on my everlasting gobstopper colony.....

Archived