SaltCritters.com

Ecoxotic stunner leds

Justin_Luke

So I have a 29 gallon tall saltwater aquarium and i got a 24 inch ecoxotic led stunner strip for it. The strip has 32 blue actenic leds, and 16 white 10,000K leds, 48 leds in all. I have had it on my tank for about a month and a half and i have not noticed any coraline algae growth. My xinia and gsp have grown alot, but they dont need very good light. So i was wondering do theses type of leds grow corals soft corals, zoas, and lps at all? are they as good as t5s? I was thinking maybe i just needed to order another strip because i have a splitter. Does anybody know alot about these, has anyone had good success with them? Thanks alot - Justin

altolamprologus

^What she said. Stunner strips are purely for aesthetics. If you want extra par, you will need panorama pro modules

edit: If you keep the stock lighting, you only need one or 2 panorama pros, but if your only light is from the leds, you will need 3.

altolamprologus
My 29 gal isnt a biocube its just a 29 tall. do you think if i got 2 of the panorama strips that would be enough to grow corals in my tank?

2 would be enough for softies, lps, and possibly low light sps

2 would be enough for softies, lps, and possibly low light sps

Is that with the led stunner strip or without it? Would that be as good as a t5?

You definitely want to look into either Panorama Pro's, or Panorama Modules (the older ones). For a 29 gallon tank, you're going to want 3 of them if you want to keep SPS or clams. I currently have 2 of them in my Biocube 14 and have good success keeping SPS and everything else.

Panorama PRO's are different from Stunner Strips

How wide is your tank? What corals do you intend to keep?

The tank is 30 inches wide. I would like to keep zoas, xinia, gsp, mushrooms, chalice, and mabey a couple lps

altolamprologus
Is that with the led stunner strip or without it? Would that be as good as a t5?

The stunner strip doesn't matter as light for corals. They have almost no PAR. Whether or not you keep the stunner is up to you based on how you like the look. Leds can't really be compared to T5s. You could buy a par meter and measure the light output to get an ok comparison, but they are 2 fundamentally different lights.

The tank is 30 inches wide. I would like to keep zoas, xinia, gsp, mushrooms, chalice, and mabey a couple lps

For those coral, 2 panorama pros would be fine

The stunner strip doesn't matter as light for corals. They have almost no PAR. Whether or not you keep the stunner is up to you based on how you like the look. Leds can't really be compared to T5s. You could buy a par meter and measure the light output to get an ok comparison, but they are 2 fundamentally different lights.

For those coral, 2 panorama pros would be fine

any idea what the cheapest place i could buy these is?

altolamprologus
any idea what the cheapest place i could buy these is?

All the prices are pretty much the same no matter where you buy. I would look around and find a place that has the cheapest shipping and good customer service. Your LFS might also be able to get them for you

All the prices are pretty much the same no matter where you buy. I would look around and find a place that has the cheapest shipping and good customer service. Your LFS might also be able to get them for you

They have alot of different options on the type of leds on the panorama led strip. They have like 4 different types of led. Any suggestions on what kind i should get?

altolamprologus
They have alot of different options on the type of leds on the panorama led strip. They have like 4 different types of led. Any suggestions on what kind i should get?

It depends on your own personal preference. Most people would do half blue/half white, but some people like more blue or more white or some purple. Look at the color combos on other people's tanks and see what you like

i bought the Pan pros from my LFS and they had it or the same price as online. i bought 2 for my 14 BC and my corals love and grow more than with the stock lights. i bought 1 blue/white and one blue. i gutted the hood down to nothing and installed them. i wish i had done this sooner!

I run a 50/50 strip and a 453 (blue) strip over my Biocube 14 and it's a nice mix. If you like blueish tint, you'd put the all blue in the front. If not, then vice versa. I have the blue in the front and the bit of white light that comes in from the back looks sort of like sunlight reaching down into the reefs. It's cool.

The only thing I wouldn't recommend is an all white strip and an all blue strip. I think the contrast would be too much.

I run a 50/50 strip and a 453 (blue) strip over my Biocube 14 and it's a nice mix. If you like blueish tint, you'd put the all blue in the front. If not, then vice versa. I have the blue in the front and the bit of white light that comes in from the back looks sort of like sunlight reaching down into the reefs. It's cool.

The only thing I wouldn't recommend is an all white strip and an all blue strip. I think the contrast would be too much.

Do you have any pics of your tank lit up with that combo?

Go with two of the 12k/445nm mixed panorama pros or 2 RGB modules. You're putting two 12" strips end to end for a standard 29. If you wanted to have better options for color, you'd have to go with 4 panorama strips which is probably more than you'd like to spend. If you could find a way to swap your 24" white and blue stunner for a magenta/blue stunner or simply add a magenta/blue stunner, the combination of 2 mixed panorama pros and with the stunner(s) would get you where you want to be.

Archived