ReefCleaners.org

Any tips on buying coral?

coley54

For all you pros out there, lol...do you have any tips on buying coral frags?? Like what to look for or any other useful information?? I've found a few people who say they have frags available and I would like to go by and see them before I commit to buying anything and was just wondering what to look for. Please and thanks in advance!

Always look for a WYSIWYG if you are buying online--and ask what sort of lighting the photo was taken under.

Ask how long it's been fragged for and/or healing on the plug (if the frag's encrusted onto the plug--this is a good sign)...and make sure it just looks healthy. Avoid any pests on the frags like gha, bubble algae, aiptasia or flatworms (make sure you buy CoralRX or Revive or something to dip things in before you put it in your display).

I typically look for color morphs that aren't awfully common for that particular species--and ultimately, go with what you really like. Tanks fill up very quickly--you will see...so keep your real estate for things you only really like.

Personally, I generally avoid browns, purples and greens.

I always look for pieces that come with a little something extra, like attached to live rock that has some sponge or maybe a few bristle stars. Make sure to look for hair algae and aptasias because once added good luck getting rid of it. and like rbaby said go for something you like

SouthFlorida_Tron
Always look for a WYSIWYG if you are buying online--and ask what sort of lighting the photo was taken under.

Ask how long it's been fragged for and/or healing on the plug (if the frag's encrusted onto the plug--this is a good sign)...and make sure it just looks healthy. Avoid any pests on the frags like gha, bubble algae, aiptasia or flatworms (make sure you buy CoralRX or Revive or something to dip things in before you put it in your display).

I typically look for color morphs that aren't awfully common for that particular species--and ultimately, go with what you really like. Tanks fill up very quickly--you will see...so keep your real estate for things you only really like.

Personally, I generally avoid browns, purples and greens.

+1

Don't buy corals just because they are cheap--you don't really like 'em that much but hey they're cheap--this is filler coral and when you start running out of room, you're going to end up having to get rid of this stuff down the line and this is how you'll end up with a tank that looks brown.

BUY THE STUFF YOU REALLY LIKE.

Thanks for those great tips! I appreciate it! I'm definitely not looking for cheap necessarily. Although, I did see a few pieces of over priced frags (to my untrained eye) that they (LFS) couldn't have paid me to take, lol. Thanks again!!!!

Visit every LFS within a reasonable driving distance. Depending on what I want will tell me where to shop. Furthermore, know what you're buying. Being able to get the same thing for half the price isn't uncommon. Furthermore, if your spending money a lot of the mom and pop places will throw in tiny things for free. I've got a friend who generally ends up with a bag full of free baby mushrooms whenever she buys a 20$ frag. She is a bit crazy for mushrooms though, lol.

Also, 2-5$ "nuggets" that some places offer are a gret way to add variety to your tank for cheap. But again, know what you're buying. Don't buy 10-2$ brown palys/zoas just cause they're cheap. DO snag that awesome neon green single head zoa that's 2$ though.

I always look for pieces that come with a little something extra, like attached to live rock that has some sponge or maybe a few bristle stars. Make sure to look for hair algae and aptasias because once added good luck getting rid of it. and like rbaby said go for something you like

Not always, a lot of frags are just on frag plugs. Nothing wrong with that.

Just do your research around the forums. Take a picture of it if you're unsure of what it is, find the ID, and then find out the average price going around the forums. This is usually a good way to know if you're getting a reasonable deal or just plain getting ripped off. Careful for the hypes though... But then again go for what makes you happy. Agreed on skipping on the cheap stuff. Try to get things that are somewhat more in demand, but still to your liking. It's a lot easier to get rid of them once you start running out of room or want that extra cash for a different piece. :)

Don't buy corals just because they are cheap--you don't really like 'em that much but hey they're cheap--this is filler coral and when you start running out of room, you're going to end up having to get rid of this stuff down the line and this is how you'll end up with a tank that looks brown.

BUY THE STUFF YOU REALLY LIKE.

+1, with the addition of "... and that your tank can support." Take some time to research needs and care of anything unfamiliar before you make the purchase.

Lots of useful information here! Thanks everyone!!! And not to worry...I'm big on research! I won't buy anything I don't feel I know enough about!!!

I lucked out and bought some of the brown palythoas with long skirts on them. Under the T5 lights, they are a nice green. I think I paid $10 for the frag that had close to 40 polyps on it. They seem to be a favorite when folks look at my tank. I would probably buy these again if I were just starting out, but would set my eyes on more colorful zoos and corals.

If you look carefully you can find the super nice pieces for really cheap. Sometimes you just gotta look in the rougher parts of town for a while before you see something really nice. Are you in the states? What state/area?

Just do your research around the forums. Take a picture of it if you're unsure of what it is, find the ID, and then find out the average price going around the forums.

+1 on IDing a coral, but why would you need to know the price? Unless it's a $50 frag, just get what you like for a seemingly reasonable price. People seeing your tank aren't going to care if it is a rare $300 mushroom; they're just going to see a bumpy orange thing.

Archived