Coral Vue Hydros

glass-holes or standard over flow

Daveg99

Im getting a 32"x24"x14" rimless PVC bottom tank built. I still havent decided on an overflow for it. Im going to be running very little flow through my sump. Probably 200-250gph. Im either going to have them put a standard overflow in it or Im going to order a glass-holes 700 gph kit and return kit. Would you just use a standard overflow or would you get the glass holes kit?

What would you classify as a "standard" overflow? I don't think such a thing exists...

Anyways, it's really up to personal preference which style of overflow you go with. I went with a herbie out the back (glass holes style) so I have 2 drains, one that has a ball valve on it so I can make it silent, and another unrestricted backup drain if for whatever reason the primary fails.

The herbie is a pretty popular style, the only downside is you have to drill 2 holes, which can sometimes give you a larger overflow box. But for me the peace of mind that a flood is very unlikely is worth it.

One other thing to think about is how close to the wall the tank will be and the design of your stand. Some stands will only allow for plumbing in a certain manner. If you want the tank close to the wall then you may have to do your overflow through the bottom. You could still do a herbie through the bottom though if you wanted to.

Anyways, check out the sticky in the DIY forum on overflows. It goes through several types.

+1 on the herbie. I just drilled my tank and decided to go with a herbie. From the research I did most people were not happy with the noise of the glass-holes setup. The emergency drain of the herbie is a great benefit also.

when I say standard overflow Im talking about the regular box in the back of the tank with one drain and a return in it. usually a 1" drain and 3/4" return.

One of the reasons I like the glass-holes is that it takes up very little space compared to the standard style of overflow. THe standard overflow would be easy because I wouldnt have to drill anything and it would be easy to plumb since both the return and the drain are in the middle under the tank.

Im not concerned about the tank being away from the wall. Im going to keep it about 3 inches away anyway because I am going to attach two light hanger poles to the back of the stand.

Edited my post missed a *not. From what I read glass-holes are noisy :wacko:

They are definitely small, is noise going to be an issue?

Edited my post missed a *not. From what I read glass-holes are noisy :wacko:

They are definitely small, is noise going to be an issue?

I dont want a noisy overflow. My only experience with overflows was durso standpipes in box overflows and I never had an issue with noise from those. Is a glass-holes noise level comparable to the durso in a box overflow?

I dont want a noisy overflow. My only experience with overflows was durso standpipes in box overflows and I never had an issue with noise from those. Is a glass-holes noise level comparable to the durso in a box overflow?

my Herbie is DEAD silent. I think it jus needs to be properly tuned.

petkingdom619

Glass holes is a great overflow. But it is super noisy. Sounds like if you left the water on in the tub. Does anyone know how to silence it alittle?

Glass holes is a great overflow. But it is super noisy. Sounds like if you left the water on in the tub. Does anyone know how to silence it alittle?

yeah, turn down the flow of your return pump. That'll quiet it down 99% of the time. People have this idea that you need to turn over loads and loads of water through your sump. My 40b only turns over about 250gph at 4' head, and all is well. Obviously there is an additional PH. Also, alotta time if you LOOSELY stuff some polyfill in your standpipe it'll muffle it a bit

One of the reasons I like the glass-holes is that it takes up very little space compared to the standard style of overflow. THe standard overflow would be easy because I wouldnt have to drill anything and it would be easy to plumb since both the return and the drain are in the middle under the tank.

The glass holes overflow can be quieted down significantly by adding a small vent tube to the elbow. I believe the new kits they sell even have this included (according to the pictures on their site). So I would expect the glass holes overflow to be pretty quiet.

Check out my 40b thread, I detail how I created my overflow, which is basically a hybrid style between the glass-holes and the herbie.

Is your tank already drilled in the bottom? I ask because you say that by going with a "standard" overflow you wouldn't have to drill anything... If it's already drilled then you might as well go with the overflow through the bottom.

Again though, this is up to personal opinion, how much DIY skills/resources you have, $$, and time. Choose which method is best for you because in the end they all accomplish the same outcome.

i got a glass holes overflow kit for my 180 and its a whole lot more quiet than my hang on the back overflow on my 40, and drilling is not that bad. just my experience though.

I've drilled tanks before. No big deal. My tank was ordered Saturday and won't be done for 2 weeks. I can call the guy and tell him not to add an overflow and do the glass holes one myself. I think that's what I'm going to do. I really don't want a bulky box in my tank from top to bottom

petkingdom619

I think the noise has a lot to do with the angle of plumbing. Mine has about a four foot drop straight down with very little angle. So it sounds like a drain. I also have the little straw tube in the overflow to quiet it down. Helps a little

ive used a few glass holes boxes and there awsome. to make them silent do this for the tube that comes out of the elbo. eliminates the whistle sound. all i hear is a trinkle of water now.

photo2.jpg

• 9 months later...

I chose the glass holes overflow and Im happy with it. The only thing I found strange was that the elbows dont screw into the bulkheads very easily or very far. I used teflon tape but next time I would probably use paste.

I have a glass-holes super nano kit and it is pretty dang silent. I pushing about 150gph through my return so that may be why. Either way i love the overflow and noise isnt an issue at all, and the tank is in my room so that tells you its quiet.

Archived