Innovative Marine Aquariums

brown toadstool leather coral

prstevie

ok so i brought some live rock off a guy and he threw in a free toadstool coral and its seems to be stressed and its has a brown slime on the edge of him...is this normal?and how long do i have to wait till it actually open up?i dont know if i should keep him or bag and tag him right in the garbage...help me please!!!!!!!!

ok so i brought some live rock off a guy and he threw in a free toadstool coral and its seems to be stressed and its has a brown slime on the edge of him...is this normal?and how long do i have to wait till it actually open up?i dont know if i should keep him or bag and tag him right in the garbage...help me please!!!!!!!!

Keep it in high flow, and try and turkey baste the brown slime off. Unless you have actual chunks of the coral falling off ( not to be confused with it shedding it's skin). It will recover. As for how long you have to wait could be anywhere from a few hours to two weeks. Don't give up on it yet. Toadstool Leathers are one of the most beautiful corals imo.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Sounds like stress and its just shrugging off some gunk or perhaps your experiencing die off on the liverock and have a small spike in parameters :)

Based on your post count and your question, I'm going to assume it's a new, or fairly new tank and you are new or fairly new to corals. I'd just go ahead and toss it in the tank and see what happens. Chances are it'll recover and be fine. It can take a few days to fully inflate (and that's fine). I've also seen them inflate and "come back to life" within a few hours. The fact that it's not inflated in the bag, means nothing.

Archived