Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Crack Kills!

ereefer

I successfully drilled my 12 gallon nano cube. Then I tried drilling a pilot through the hole into the plastic for my return line. My drill smacked the glass and did this:

IMAG0454.jpg

I have filled the tank and it does not leak AT ALL. It's in the middle chamber.

I think I am going to epoxy a piece of glass over the crack.

Any thoughts here? I do not want to throw it out. IF I have to I will.

I would get some GE Silicone 1 (the 100% silicone one, not the "MIDLEW SAFE" one) and cover the crack. You run the risk of leaks otherwise.

Should I cover it on both sides? Should I put glass over it?

I would silicone a section of glass across the width to help keep the strength of the glass, the crack will have weakened it and with the pressure of the water it could go any time otherwise.

I would silicone a section of glass across the width to help keep the strength of the glass, the crack will have weakened it and with the pressure of the water it could go any time otherwise.

Thanks, I am going to do that.

one of my older tanks had a crack in the rear panel near the base, so I repaired it with silicone and a piece of glass. I then just positioned some of my decorations in front of it to hide the repair..... that was many years ago and the tank is still going strong now.....

Wait, is this tank acrylic?

Forgive me, because I've only built stuff from acrylic once, but couldn't you take like acetone or some other acrylic bonder and seal the crack?

Wait, is this tank acrylic?

Forgive me, because I've only built stuff from acrylic once, but couldn't you take like acetone or some other acrylic bonder and seal the crack?

Quite sure acrylic doesn't crack like that.

Yeah definitely seal it with the silicone like said previously. Even if it doesn't leak without silicone it will still salt creep like crazy and that's so annoying.

Builder Anthony

i couldnt help but laugh at that sledge hammer comment.id scrap that tank to.to much of a risk.could leak into electic and kill people

I successfully drilled my 12 gallon nano cube. Then I tried drilling a pilot through the hole into the plastic for my return line. My drill smacked the glass and did this:

IMAG0454.jpg

I have filled the tank and it does not leak AT ALL. It's in the middle chamber.

I think I am going to epoxy a piece of glass over the crack.

Any thoughts here? I do not want to throw it out. IF I have to I will.

Doesn't look like you were very successful

Archived