Coral Vue Hydros

Percula or ocellaris?

Zante

In a couple of weeks i will stock my tank with fish, and I was thinking of a pair of clowns. They will be the only fish in it.

I'm bringing this up now because I might have to order them.

I am undecided: ocellaris or perculas? What are the differences in a VERY practical sense?

Is there some difference in coloration I might have not noticed?

Behaviour? Adult size?

Anything might help me choose one or the other.

Any alternative clown suggestions are welcome, but please motivate.

i am a novice, but i've been reading on the same issue. from what I'm finding it seems ocellaris are larger but less aggressive. Whereas percula tend to be smaller and more territorial.

Doesn't really matter.. whichever one you think looks nicer. I have an occy who is neutral toward other fish but aggressive toward me. *shrug*

How about one of each?

Nah... I'd rather have a pair, in the off chance (however unlikely) that they may breed...

Would ocellaris be "happier" tha perculas without an anemone? I havo no intention of getting one for my tank.

What about other clown fishes? Any species about the same size as ocellaris and perculas worth considering, especially considering I won't be having an anemone?

Percs all the way! They get those black fillings that are just so cool. :)

Look at pictures and see which one you prefer, they're very similar. There's just something about percs that I like more though. They may be slightly more aggressive than occ from what people say, but definitely nothing to worry about other than when trying to pair them (which is a trouble you would still find in occ). I find Percs to stay bright when they get larger and occ are so so... Also if you get into design clowns, there is a large difference in band pattern.

Nah... I'd rather have a pair, in the off chance (however unlikely) that they may breed...

Percs and Occies can crossbreed without issue.

I accidentally have a perc (a picasso) and an occy. The store assured me that i was buying a perc but it turns out to be an occy, they're already doing their pairing dance and they're still quite young.

I think both are great, but it really depends on what you like as far as what they clown looks like. I think other species of clowns get too big for nano tanks, i could be wrong though. I personally like pink skunk clowns, my lfs has a bunch of babies and they're so cute.

I've decided: I'm going for perculas.

This weekend I'll be picking up a trio of sexies and a hermit, and I'll try and order two tank-bred perculas. If not possible I'll get a pair of tank-bred ocellaris (they always have plenty of those).

Why only percs or occys? There are so many underrated awesome clownfish out there!

I did aks for alternative suggestons, but the only answers on alternatives was

I think both are great, but it really depends on what you like as far as what they clown looks like. I think other species of clowns get too big for nano tanks, i could be wrong though. I personally like pink skunk clowns, my lfs has a bunch of babies and they're so cute.

I am still open to suggestions, I will call it a definitive decision only this week-end when I will have placed the order at the store. You're welcome to suggest alternative clown species.

As I'm hovering the limit with two ocellaris/perculas, they will have to have the same adult size as them.

Alternatives would be maroons, clarkiis, tomatos.

They all get a bit larger than the two "normal" clowns, though, so you may not be able to fit two in your tank (how big is it?).

Well, there's obviously varieties of each.. like maroons can come in yellow or white banded, and skunks can be orange or pink, but it was a general outline. I doubt you'll find a vendor that offers 40 species of clown (not counting morphs like platinum or Picasso). I'm assuming OP isn't looking to spend a fortune to have a rare clown species imported.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/cat/infoL3...30/category.web

Good enough place to start.

Thanks, but I doubt they ship to the UK ;)

If you have some unusual or interesting clowns, please do mention them. Even if I cannot find them, at least I can say I've tried. I don't mean colour morphs, different species.

Remember: no larger than an ocellaris or a percula, or they'll outgrow my tank.

Honestly, percs and occys are the smallest. That's why I didn't really get into the others offhand.. I think Maroons and Clarkiis get the largest, but I don't recall right offhand.

In the mean time, you can poke around some of the online retailers for ideas then take them to your LFS and see if they can order them for you.

Great question. I wanted a pair of perculas and a couple of days ago I bought what I thought were perculas and probably they are Ocellaris. I am still not 100% convinced but I think they are Ocellaris. The store sold me them as perculas. The dorsal fin spines distinguish them but honestly you are not able to count them in the tank. you can take a look at my thread:

Is this Percula or Ocellaris?

Great question. I wanted a pair of perculas and a couple of days ago I bought what I thought were perculas and probably they are Ocellaris. I am still not 100% convinced but I think they are Ocellaris. The store sold me them as perculas. The dorsal fin spines distinguish them but honestly you are not able to count them in the tank. you can take a look at my thread:

Is this Percula or Ocellaris?

Those are the only Ocellaris I wouldn't mind having a pair of! I'm a Percula fan just because of the extra black and deeper orange coloring. But those Ocellaris you have are just as nice, in my opinion!

Thanks dfcn07. I wanted perculas and when I saw them in the lfs I was sure they are perculas. It's like with children. You want a boy but if you get a girl you love her anyway and unconditionally.

Archived