Cultivated Reef

ReefeeR's 29 Gallon Reef Build

ReefeeR

Hey there everyone,

I've been browsing the forums for about 2 weeks and decided I would join and start my 29 gallon reef build. I also have a 55 gallon reef setup, so I'm not new to saltwater or reef tanks. I don't know exactly what I'm going to stock in my tank, so I'm just going to dive right in and see where this goes!

In the top loop of your overflow, you don't have a check valve? Air is gonna get trapped in that top loop and mess with flow eventually, potentially fail in a power outage...Maybe not...I have an aqualifter hooked up to a check valve on the top loop of my PVC overflow's, and it's sucking out mostly water, but a regular supply of air bubbles as well.

Have you been running a pvc overflow in your 55 gallon? And if so, for how long and have you had any problems? I just got into the hobby, so looking to expand my knowledge...Just wanna be extra careful not to flood my room and run my sump dry.

In the top loop of your overflow, you don't have a check valve? Air is gonna get trapped in that top loop and mess with flow eventually, potentially fail in a power outage...Maybe not...I have an aqualifter hooked up to a check valve on the top loop of my PVC overflow's, and it's sucking out mostly water, but a regular supply of air bubbles as well.

Have you been running a pvc overflow in your 55 gallon? And if so, for how long and have you had any problems? I just got into the hobby, so looking to expand my knowledge...Just wanna be extra careful not to flood my room and run my sump dry.

On my 55 I have a regular overflow. And thanks for bringing that up! It's actually the first DIY overflow I've built. Thanks again!

Ah, well mine have been working splendidly, I have 2 picos hooked up to the same sump...They're both on the same aqualifter pump though, keeping air out of the top loop...I noticed that when I was trying the overflows out before adding the check valve, I was having automatic restart issues after they had been running for a good length of time (2+ hours)

But then again, I was testing in a bucket with a garden hose...lol...Like I said, I'm just scared to death of flooding my bedroom...haha

PVC overflows are awesome in general...A couple bucks in parts for what many people pay a LOT more money for elsewhere

Ah, well mine have been working splendidly, I have 2 picos hooked up to the same sump...They're both on the same aqualifter pump though, keeping air out of the top loop...I noticed that when I was trying the overflows out before adding the check valve, I was having automatic restart issues after they had been running for a good length of time (2+ hours)

But then again, I was testing in a bucket with a garden hose...lol...Like I said, I'm just scared to death of flooding my bedroom...haha

PVC overflows are awesome in general...A couple bucks in parts for what many people pay a LOT more money for elsewhere

Haha I know what your saying...I just put new carpet in too lol. I'll look into installing that check valve within the next few days. The overflow has been running for well over 4 hours now and no problems losing the flow. I looked into a regular overflow at my LFS and they wanted $90, I was like o.O

Haha I know what your saying...I just put new carpet in too lol. I'll look into installing that check valve within the next few days. The overflow has been running for well over 4 hours now and no problems losing the flow. I looked into a regular overflow at my LFS and they wanted $90, I was like o.O

Yeah, 90 bucks is kinda outrageous...Your overflow might not need a check valve, I really wouldnt be the right person to ask, seeing as the dinensions of my overflows are very different, cause they're in very shallow tanks..

Build is looking good so far! I painted my PVC with krylon fusion, how is it working out on the glass? About to spray the back of a new 5 gallon in a few days....

Yeah, 90 bucks is kinda outrageous...Your overflow might not need a check valve, I really wouldnt be the right person to ask, seeing as the dinensions of my overflows are very different, cause they're in very shallow tanks..

Build is looking good so far! I painted my PVC with krylon fusion, how is it working out on the glass? About to spray the back of a new 5 gallon in a few days....

It's doing well on the back glass. However I'm deciding not to paint the PVC only because I left some parts unglued so they can pivot or I can easy remove them without having to take the whole thing out. I'm just afraid some of the paint might chip off. This was also my first attempt at painting the back glass. I think it looks great!

Archived