Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

plexiglass top fogging up

itsbobbyz

i mad a plexiglass top for my tank

and it keeps fogging up and diffusing the light.

does anyone know of any way to fix this problem

it bothers me and worries me that i might have to find another top to use

i mad a plexiglass top for my tank

and it keeps fogging up and diffusing the light.

does anyone know of any way to fix this problem

it bothers me and worries me that i might have to find another top to use

cut a hole where your light needs to shine thru, still helps with evap and lets your light have direct contact with the water

condensation is what is happening. Really no way around it. Unless u heat the plexi with a hair dryer before setting it on. Glass does the same thing but both should clear up after a while once the plexi reaches a temp. Once it fogs up, let it sit there for a bit, then take a peice of paper towel and wipe it off real quick should be fine then. You will always get water beads on it as thats the water evaporating on it, really the whole point of a lid.

what do you mean by heating it up

like heat up it let it cool off then put it on?

or what.

my light is about 6 in above my tank

its a par38

and its cold right now but the water temp is at 83 cuz its cycling

forget the hair dryer lol what I mean is that when you put the plexi on the tank, it is a colder temp than the water and will condensate. Just like when you blow on the car window in the winter as a kid, it fogs up. Eventually the water will heat it to an even temp so just wipe it down and it should not be foggy, You could also have just a little bit open on the front edges of the tank, it still needs to breath and willl not bead up as bad either.

Just curious, wouldn't a plastic cover also trap air that could turn noxious over a period of time? For some crazy reason, I thought that tanks needed to be open on top for this purpose.

Gas exchange would make it go stale after a while if there's no means of escape. As for the question... I can confirm that the plexi will clear up after a few hours of leaving it on the tank. Just wipe off the excess water and place it back on. However I now go topless... it's absolutely amazing how much even clear plexiglass or glass diffuse light. Plexi bows too. :/

just don't have a top. unless i missed a part about you having a jumpy fish. and cats aren't an excuse either. let the little bastard get a mouth full of saltwater, he will only do it once. ( two main reasons people need tops IME)

Glass or Plastic tops on a nano are bad

. They trap heat, block light, and limit gas exchange. Biocubes are notorious for heat problems. Tops do help with limiting evaporation, but they keep the evaporated water condensed on the glass or plastic surface as you have found out, blocking even more light.

If you are trying to keep fish in the tank, plastic screen tops are the way to go.

If you are trying to control evaporation, ATO is the way to go.

If you must have a top, drill some holes in it, that will allow the heat to escape and prevent the fog.

Agree with what others say, topless is better

I have a bc 29 and have thought about going topless, but I have a 65lbs husky and she sheds like a #####. I would worry about the dog hair getting in my tank water, otherwise I would probably go topless. If some dog hair did get into the water, does anyone know if it would have bad effects? I also have a cat and my worry about her would not be about sticking her face in the tank but rather her paws with claws to try and snag a fish while I am not home.

Archived