Top Shelf Aquatics

Quarantine Tank

Wizzy

I want to set up 2 Quarantine Tanks for the large system I am setting up.

1 for fish and 1 for corals.

I would Quarantine for 1 month.

I was thinking I would use (2) 20 gallon aquariums.

The coral one would have varied levels of eggcrate (not sure on light).

The fish would be BB with maybe some PVC for them to hide in.

What could I do for filtration?

Thanks- Wizzy

New tank, light, filter, heater, pump.

PVC fittings and eggcrate as needed.

Any suggestions to do this inexpensively if I plan on quarantining everything from SPS to Large Tangs for a period of a month?

On another note, is a quarantine tank worth it?

I don't want to set up a system just to introduce something horrible into it.

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

You'll need a decent size tank, maybe 30-55g.

An AC110 or two for filtering/flow.

For lighting maybe a couple PAR bulbs.

A 300w heater should do it.

Maybe $225-250 right there w/ good sources.

I believe so.

I'm setting up a 10g QT for my ~ 50g system.

You'll need a decent size tank, maybe 30-55g.

An AC110 or two for filtering/flow.

For lighting maybe a couple PAR bulbs.

A 300w heater should do it.

Maybe $225-250 right there w/ good sources.

I believe so.

I'm setting up a 10g QT for my ~ 50g system.

Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of having an AC 110 with carbon/sponge, 1 PAR bulb for lighting a section of the tank, Korali Evolution Powerhead for flow where corals are, chaeto in a basket or something with flow coming through it, 300W heater, and using one of the 40 gallon breeders I already have.

Any suggestions to improve upon my design?

Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of having an AC 110 with carbon/sponge, 1 PAR bulb for lighting a section of the tank, Korali Evolution Powerhead for flow where corals are, chaeto in a basket or something with flow coming through it, 300W heater, and using one of the 40 gallon breeders I already have.

Any suggestions to improve upon my design?

Sounds good, I am doing a 10G with AC70+intank basket carbon/sponge, 50w heater, par38 if QT is frags but no light for fish, tank will be black on both sides and back and bottom no sand, water will be from the MT from weekly changes and running 24 hours so its always ready. ..... or I will just go to siwelk's place and use his QT :D :D

My friend in Florida lost 6 fish just two weeks ago because he didn't QT a fish he got from a store that he trusted for years. Now he is out over $200 and is pretty pissed and I had to send him a screen shot of a text I sent to him in Nov saying he should setup a QT...

Sounds good, I am doing a 10G with AC70+intank basket carbon/sponge, 50w heater, par38 if QT is frags but no light for fish, tank will be black on both sides and back and bottom no sand, water will be from the MT from weekly changes and running 24 hours so its always ready. ..... or I will just go to siwelk's place and use his QT :D :D

My friend in Florida lost 6 fish just two weeks ago because he didn't QT a fish he got from a store that he trusted for years. Now he is out over $200 and is pretty pissed and I had to send him a screen shot of a text I sent to him in Nov saying he should setup a QT...

Wow, those are the kinds of stories that make me want to set up this QT.

----

Anyway, it sounds like my plan is pretty solid... anyone have some more input?

Also, would it be a good idea to have some sort of structure for the fish to hide in/around?

Would it be better to use fresh saltwater or water from the main tank as civickm is doing?

Builder Anthony

i dont think u should have sand or liverock things can just multiply.i would say some plastic plants you can wash instead and nothing else but i dont understand barebottom

i dont think u should have sand or liverock things can just multiply.i would say some plastic plants you can wash instead and nothing else but i dont understand barebottom

the bad stuff for fish like ich and protozoas can live in the sand and subtrate and attact the next fish you put in there. you also want to be able to see what the fish is eating and isnt eating. daily vacuuming of uneaten food and whatnot.

I'd do separate setups for fish and corals incase you need to medicate the fish. If you want tangs then a qt is a must. You can use a sponge filter. It's cheap and you supply biological filtration by keeping it in you displays sump when you don't need it. Ammonia badge and amquel along with waterchanges. That's how I qt fish for my 125. You don't want an ich outbreak and have to catch all of the fish to treat them.

the bad stuff for fish like ich and protozoas can live in the sand and subtrate and attact the next fish you put in there. you also want to be able to see what the fish is eating and isnt eating. daily vacuuming of uneaten food and whatnot.

I'd do separate setups for fish and corals incase you need to medicate the fish. If you want tangs then a qt is a must. You can use a sponge filter. It's cheap and you supply biological filtration by keeping it in you displays sump when you don't need it. Ammonia badge and amquel along with waterchanges. That's how I qt fish for my 125. You don't want an ich outbreak and have to catch all of the fish to treat them.

Thanks for the responses everyone :D

I plan on going BB, but thought having rock would make the fish feel more safe?

Should I just use PVC?

I like the idea of a sponge filter for added filtration.

And I thought fish meds were usually coral safe?

I'd rather not have separate QT, but would if I had to.

Would it be a good idea to keep my QT going 24/7 or to break it down each time I used it?

Should I fill with tank water or new water?

Copper is definitely not coral safe. I use half used water and half new. If you ever add copper for ich, you won't be able to quarantine corals there. You can break it down when done just rinse the sponge filter and move it back to the displays sump unless you used mess, then just throw out the sponges and get new ones. Put the new ones in the sump. Sponges are fairly cheap.

Copper is definitely not coral safe. I use half used water and half new. If you ever add copper for ich, you won't be able to quarantine corals there. You can break it down when done just rinse the sponge filter and move it back to the displays sump unless you used mess, then just throw out the sponges and get new ones. Put the new ones in the sump. Sponges are fairly cheap.

Do you mean that if I use copper on the tank I won't ever to be able to use it for corals again?

Or if I wash it out will be OK for use later?

na get some nice plastic plants go to some craftstore that way u can wash

I use pvc. It gives the fish somewhere to hide.

I like the idea of PVC just because it will probably be less expensive and give a solid structure for the fish to go in/out of.

What types of plastic are safe for use?

I don't want to leach anything.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if I could use two 20 gallon tanks.

One would be for fish and would have PVC, no light, and a powerhead.

The other would be for coral and would have eggcrate, a par38 led, and a powerhead.

Would I need to add some sort of filter or would wc's be enough?

And if so how many wc's would I need to perform?

-Wizzy

• 2 weeks later...

In my fish QT I have a heater, some PVC for them to hide in, thermometer, and an air stone. I check ammonia levels daily and do WC as needed. I siphon out debris daily so I can see what is going on. That's it.

I'd like a little HOB filter but don't have one yet - just need to pick one up. Then I'll probably ditch the air stone as the falling water from the filter should do the trick.

I don't believe a power head is necessary for a fish only QT.

I think it depends on what sort of fish I'm quarantining, but I'll probably just use a power filter for some moderate flow.

In my fish QT I have a heater, some PVC for them to hide in, thermometer, and an air stone. I check ammonia levels daily and do WC as needed. I siphon out debris daily so I can see what is going on. That's it.

I'd like a little HOB filter but don't have one yet - just need to pick one up. Then I'll probably ditch the air stone as the falling water from the filter should do the trick.

Thanks for letting me know that- it sounds like what I want to do :happy:

Archived