ReefCleaners.org

Tang question.

Shallow

Now... Dont hate me or anything, i didnt get a yellow tang for my tank (24x24x12). But i would like to here some input on it. I know its probably not the smarteset descision to get one, but after seing Zooks tank and the tank of the month, its hard not to think about. Would he have enough swimming room? When i look at my tank it sure looks like a decent amount of room.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
I have had a good sized yellow tang in a 29 gallon for 7 months and he has been doing absolutely wonderful

You'd probably do fine too if I put you in a cage just big enough for you walk a couple steps and you had no way of expressing your displeasure. I bet you wouldn't like that too much, would you?

You'd probably do fine too if I put you in a cage just big enough for you walk a couple steps and you had no way of expressing your displeasure. I bet you wouldn't like that too much, would you?

You would be able to tell i was unhealthy. I would gain weight lose muscle and mental power and slowly waste away, where as my tang has been doing just fine and is very healthy. It shows no signs of stress and i have never had any problems with it. It seems perfectly happy. Besides, no one has ever gone inside the mind of a tang and actually seen what it thought. It would seem that a good way to see if the tang is happy is by observing its physical appearance and health, which in my case, is perfect. I am not trying to start an argument, this is just my take on the matter.

altolamprologus
You would be able to tell i was unhealthy. I would gain weight lose muscle and mental power and slowly waste away, where as my tang has been doing just fine and is very healthy. It shows no signs of stress and i have never had any problems with it. It seems perfectly happy. Besides, no one has ever gone inside the mind of a tang and actually seen what it thought. It would seem that a good way to see if the tang is happy is by observing its physical appearance and health, which in my case, is perfect. I am not trying to start an argument, this is just my take on the matter.

I bet it's therapist would know, but then there's whole doctor/patient confidentiality thing.

You can do whatever you want with your tank, but IMO the person who sold you the tang is an idiot and it would be much happier and healthier in a larger tank. Sure it's not getting fat because fish don't do that. Fish get fatty liver disease which dramatically decreases their lifespan.

OP, don't get a tang until your tank is big enough for a full grown tang to comfortably swim around in it.

You have your opinions,i have mine. I just dont feel like arguing about it. All i want to say is that in my opinion I think it would be fine if he had a small tang in his tank.

Get a tang!!!!

Seriously... the tang police bother me more than people who put tangs in tanks that are too small. Go away tang police, nobody likes you!

altolamprologus
Get a tang!!!!

Seriously... the tang police bother me more than people who put tangs in tanks that are too small. Go away tang police, nobody likes you!

We're not tang police, we're people who know the appropriate care of living things ;)

devilsadvocate

you an idiot.

tangs dont belong in nano reefs. if you want a tang get a 125 gallon.

also im tired of see TOTM's with f^cking tangs in them.

you an idiot.

tangs dont belong in nano reefs. if you want a tang get a 125 gallon.

also im tired of see TOTM's with f^cking tangs in them.

Strange words coming from the devil's advocate ;)

Is not all these words you are using while trying to excuse your comment of housing a tang in a 28, It is called COMMON SENSE and appreciation of life... Tangs do need room for swimming, at least 6 foot long tank (recommended by experts in reefing). The fact of reading and being involved in forums is to learn from other's errors and follow expert's advice and move on to the next level while improving your reefing skills. I think you are forgetting this important part and advising someone to commit your same mistake. If you don't feel you want to change the way you think about getting informed of an animal needs before you acquire livestock for your tank, fine. But please do not advise others to make the same mistakes.

Thanks to people who think exactly like you do is that we have people trying to ban aquarium fish collection in Hawaii and other areas around the globe. Thanks.

Frank.

flame me all you want but if you get a baby tang with intentions on getting it different housing down the road I personally think youre fine. A 1.5" hippo tang has different tank size requirements than a 1.5' hippo tang.

at a very minimum I know at least one person agrees with me--christopher marks

this is obviously a polarizing issue and there isnt a correct answer--no matter what the assertions from either side.

altolamprologus

The root of the problem is that most people won't move the tang to a bigger tank until it's showing distress. And people think they can just take the tang back to the LFS, but most LFS won't take big fish because they're very difficult to sell. So the tang ends up suffering in a tiny tank. They don't stay small forever

They don't stay small forever

They don't blow up overnight either though. As long as he removes it at the proper time theres no reason he shouldn't be fine. Get a tiny one, keep him for a year or so and take him back.

Just curious but isn't putting any fish into a tank putting it somewhere smaller than where it was intended to grow up. I have a nano and a 210 where I keep my tangs oh yes tang police I said tangs there are more than one. I have watched a yellow at my LFS in a biocube that was maybe an inch or smaller when he put it in there grow to about 2 maybe 2.5 inches in two years. It seems fine fat and happy. I know he will move it if he thinks it is too big or stressed but seems find like it is.

I agree with most people and would not put a sailfin in my nano but I also agree the tang police are annoying always saying you need a 6 foot tank. I have had a hippo that the tang police were after when I bought my first 46 gallon tank in 05 now after a couple of upgrades he is still with me in my 210.

I say get it OP I have the same size tank as you and will be looking for a small yellow tomorrow to throw in mine now.

flame me all you want but if you get a baby tang with intentions on getting it different housing down the road I personally think youre fine. A 1.5" hippo tang has different tank size requirements than a 1.5' hippo tang.

at a very minimum I know at least one person agrees with me--christopher marks

this is obviously a polarizing issue and there isnt a correct answer--no matter what the assertions from either side.

^ I agree. FWIW - There are reefers with small tanks that can provide a better home for a tang than reefers with big tanks. Tank size is only one factor in responsibly keeping a fish and taking care of it. A large tank isn't a license to keep a tang or any fish for that matter..experience is.

That said, I wouldn't and never recommend a tang for smaller tanks.

Archived