ReefCleaners.org

Finally got one of my all time favorite fish "starry blenny"

tinctorus

I went to my LFS store today looking to get a piece of coral and this starry blenny caught my eye, They had him listed as a rock blenny and had him priced at 15 bucks which was steal around these parts...Normally when I see them people want between 30-40 dollars

He was in perfect health and I had the guy at the LFS feed him and he munched down right away on frozen mysis,brine and new life spectrum pellets so I HAD to but him "Just coudnt pass up in the price

I wish I had brough more money cause they had a TON of nice coral that I wanted

Best personality I've ever seen in a fish, changes pattern with mood, usually out, natural algae control, easy to care for, isn't a picky eater, tells funny jokes, etc.

Best personality I've ever seen in a fish, changes pattern with mood, usually out, natural algae control, easy to care for, isn't a picky eater, tells funny jokes, etc.

Cool. I'll have to look into one.

Never seen one at a store, I don't think, just the Lawnmowers

This is some pics of starry blennies just to show you how cool they are, Although pictures obviously cant show what a cool personality they have

blenny9.jpg

lg-39335-starry-blenny.jpg

Starry-Blenny-4.jpg

And here is one that has changed colors either to blend in better or just show what his mood is at that particular time

salarias_ramosus.jpg

IL4b-273%20Starry%20blenny,%20Salarias%20fasciatus%203.jpg

Something else you'll see as you keep yours, tinctorus, is they have control over their spots. Mine would get spotty when he was pissed and when he was content and munching away on some sand he would be a solid dark brown with just the large white saddle spots along his back.

I really miss mine. :(

They are a really neat fish. As soon as my wife saw one at the lfs she had to have it. He will swim around and then perch up on a rock and actually look around. I have seen ours look down over a rock ledge to see whats there. Reminds me of a dog sitting there looking around to see whats going on.

I've got a touch of GHA... I guess a Starry would go to town on whatever is there, huh?

But once that's gone, will they eat dried seaweed and such?

They are pretty crazy looking. I like the cirri(?)

My store can pretty much get anything in within a few days, so this might be my next fish.

Sorry if I hijacked our thread, tinctorus. But they really are a cool fish... Never really thought about one until this thread.

My LFS actually has them in stock, but their photo doesn't look anything like the one posted above.

I guess it can change colors a lot?

salarias_ramosus.jpg

Sorry if I hijacked our thread, tinctorus. But they really are a cool fish... Never really thought about one until this thread.

My LFS actually has them in stock, but their photo doesn't look anything like the one posted above.

I guess it can change colors a lot?

salarias_ramosus.jpg

Yeah mine looked similar to that while he was in the bag but when he was in the tank he looked just like the first set pf pictures I posted where he was dark black with bright white spots, He is great

So far since I put him in yesterday he already has eaten mysis and some live brine about 40 minutes after I put him in the tank, OH LOL he also found my one hermit crab that had a little tuft of hair algae on his shell and he went over and grabbed the tuft of algae and shaking it around to tear it off, In the process shaking my hermit crab for the ride of his life LOL

Yeah mine looked similar to that while he was in the bag but when he was in the tank he looked just like the first set pf pictures I posted where he was dark black with bright white spots, He is great

So far since I put him in yesterday he already has eaten mysis and some live brine about 40 minutes after I put him in the tank, OH LOL he also found my one hermit crab that had a little tuft of hair algae on his shell and he went over and grabbed the tuft of algae and shaking it around to tear it off, In the process shaking my hermit crab for the ride of his life LOL

Very cool stuff...

Thanks to this thread, I went ahead and got one of these for myself.

My store actually had one in, but he was kind of big. I'd say 4 inches long(?)

Hopefully my setup is fine for it; Everything I saw online says like 24G-30G, and I have the 38G Nuvo with about 31Gs of water in it.

The tank is 24 Inches left to right, 19 Inches up and down, and about 15 inches front to back.

Big enough? I only have 1 other fish in there.

I kept mine perfectly happy in a 20H for 5-6 months with 2 other fish before moving to a 40B, should be big enough. Enjoy your new awesome fish!

Anyone have an opinion or experience on aggression?

I didn't even consider it because every site says "peaceful", but i'm reading some threads about how they can get aggressive in smaller tanks.

Again, I have a 38G with around 27G in the actual display area.

He's been fine thus far, he's kind of opened his mouth towards my Mimic File if he swims up to him, but nothing alarming.

My File is like "whatever"

He's also made my red mushroom rock his bed

The Blenny will be sitting atop a rock, and then out of nowhere jet down to the sand, and slap it with his tail.

Then go back to the top, and repeat every 10 minutes or so.

Weirdo

They are definitely a percher.

As for aggression, mine was fine as long as the other fish gave him space. He never hurt anyone but he put on a show when he wasn't happy.

The sand slapping is called flashing. Glad to see you're enjoying him. :)

They are definitely a percher.

As for aggression, mine was fine as long as the other fish gave him space. He never hurt anyone but he put on a show when he wasn't happy.

The sand slapping is called flashing. Glad to see you're enjoying him. :)

Yeah, I don't think he's aggressive, I was just curious.

The flashing is funny, he just flies down slaps the sand and flies back up.

Yeah they are similar to hawkfish in that they are "perchers" It's because of the lack of swim bladder that they "hop" from rock to rock

Mine has taken up residence in a cave at the top of the tank and looks out over the reef most of the day

Archived