inTank Media Baskets

Frequency of Water Changes

Wizzy

I want to know whether I could maintain a 200+ gallon system with 10% water changes every 2-3 months while still keeping SPS, LPS, etc.

I also want to know whether a protein skimmer would be beneficial or not.

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to set up a 200 gallon system in the near future, but the biggest thing holding me back is water changes.

I can't set up an automatic water changer and don't have time for frequent water changes.

If I was to change, for example, 5 gallons a month would that be enough?

P.S. Any suggestions on how to perform a large volume water change more easily would be appreciated.

I have a 150-ish gallon system... It was born around march of last year. Changed the water once around the 4th of July, and never since.

The trick is having about 30% of your system dedicated to a fuge. Check the links in my sig. (main one is the left side of the banner).

If you have a big enough reef, with excellent filtration, and you replace what gets used up (Ca, Mg, bicarb, trace elements etc) then theoretically you wouldn't need to do water changes. Also need to be sure the top-off water is absolutely pure.

If you're changing 5 gallons, it's just as easy to change 10 or 20 though. Just get a bigger bucket :)

I also have zero mechanical filtration... No filter socks to clean, no skimmer, no carbon... ATO with Kalkwasser and algae magnet are all the maintenance I have to worry about.

I also have zero mechanical filtration... No filter socks to clean, no skimmer, no carbon... ATO with Kalkwasser and algae magnet are all the maintenance I have to worry about.

If you have a good fuge, it serves as some mechanical filtration too though

I have a 150-ish gallon system... It was born around march of last year. Changed the water once around the 4th of July, and never since.

The trick is having about 30% of your system dedicated to a fuge. Check the links in my sig. (main one is the left side of the banner).

I nixed the frag area in my sump and want to instead use it as a refugium.

I'm shooting for at least a 30 gallon area packed with Chaeto/Green Ulva/Red Gracilaria, all macros I already have.

I also want mangroves because I've always been intrigued by them despite the fact they don't actually do too much filtering due to their slow growth rate, correct?

I do a 5 gallon in my total 40g system every 3 weeks to a month

Hopefully I can do a similar 10% water change every few months and still maintain a healthy system.

If you have a big enough reef, with excellent filtration, and you replace what gets used up (Ca, Mg, bicarb, trace elements etc) then theoretically you wouldn't need to do water changes. Also need to be sure the top-off water is absolutely pure.

If you're changing 5 gallons, it's just as easy to change 10 or 20 though. Just get a bigger bucket :)

Bigger buckets are also a lot heavier/harder to carry. Any suggestions on how to make this task easier?

Also, I'm planning on dosing Kalk if the water parameters get out of sorts.

How does dosing the Kalk in your ATO work for you?

I want to dose separately via peristlatic pump if my budget allows, but dosing via ATO sounds easier/inexpensive.

I'm mainly concerned about the safety of dosing via ATO (i.e. PH spikes, etc)

I'm hoping to filter my tank mostly via a refugium.

P.S. As far as my sump design goes where's the best place to put my refugium?

I was thinking SKIMMER ||| Refugium | Return

| denotes Baffle.

ALSO!!

For details on my equipment go to my Build/Planning thread in my Signature.

I do 10 gallon water changes, got a tall skinny garbage can with a handle and wheels on one side so I can roll it around. Got it at wally world, it's green and holds ten gallons perfectly. I use a maxijet, a 50w heater and hook up some 1/2" hose tofill the tank. Works great.

Don't know if your able to do so , but my bro had two of the large brute cans in the garage. One fresh one salt. Water consisted of drain some water from sump, walk a line from garage turn on pump fill to desireed level, turn off pump. He could do 30 gallons in about ten min. I thought it worked great. His garage is about 15-20 ft from his tank though. Wish I had pics right now.

Since I've restarted my 25g seagrass system a bit over a year ago, I've done one water change. My tank is essentially a refugium in itself, so a buildup of N and P is never an issue. I also infrequently add calcium and alkalinity via 2 part to compensate for modest utilization.

I do 10 gallon water changes, got a tall skinny garbage can with a handle and wheels on one side so I can roll it around. Got it at wally world, it's green and holds ten gallons perfectly. I use a maxijet, a 50w heater and hook up some 1/2" hose tofill the tank. Works great.

I think that's a great idea and sounds easy to do. :D

Do you have the specific hose you use, I want to make sure I use something aquarium safe?

Don't know if your able to do so , but my bro had two of the large brute cans in the garage. One fresh one salt. Water consisted of drain some water from sump, walk a line from garage turn on pump fill to desireed level, turn off pump. He could do 30 gallons in about ten min. I thought it worked great. His garage is about 15-20 ft from his tank though. Wish I had pics right now.

I like this idea as well. I could probably drain water into the street using tubing and then refill with a bucket on wheels or something along those lines.

Do you know what type of tubing he is using?

I want to use something safe for draining/refilling tank.

The tubing is off of a freshwater gravel vacuum. Plain clear plastic

Cool Beans and thanks for the info!

So, I am currently under the impression that a 200 gallon system with large refugium 30+ gallons will require minimal water changes (10% every few months).

Also, I am open to more suggestions on how to easily do a water change of 20 gallons or more.

Your questions depends on what kind of tank you want to keep and what you want it to look like. If you are content keeping soft corals with some easier LPS and perhaps a few Monti Caps than I think you can get away with low water changes.

If you want to keep heavy SPS with acros than I would not attempt a 200g where you don't plan on doing frequent water changes. I've yet to see any TOTM here or RC where frequent waters were not done. By frequent I mean somewhere between weekly and monthly.

Ask yourself what your goals are for the 200g then find a few tanks that emulate that goal then see what kind of maintenance routines they keep.

I've gone 6 months without a water change or skimmer on my 50 breeder. Only problem was dirty glass.

Thanks for the input :D

Your questions depends on what kind of tank you want to keep and what you want it to look like. If you are content keeping soft corals with some easier LPS and perhaps a few Monti Caps than I think you can get away with low water changes.

If you want to keep heavy SPS with acros than I would not attempt a 200g where you don't plan on doing frequent water changes. I've yet to see any TOTM here or RC where frequent waters were not done. By frequent I mean somewhere between weekly and monthly.

Ask yourself what your goals are for the 200g then find a few tanks that emulate that goal then see what kind of maintenance routines they keep.

Well, I initially wanted a Full Blown SPS system, but decided against that due to money.

I now want a mixed reef with soft corals, LPS, and SPS as well as lots of fish if I go the larger route, but without my automatic water change system I initially envisioned I am worried about keeping SPS.

I am currently debating between the 200+ gallon system, a 40g breeder with 40g sump, 20 long kriesel (breeding), or a sub 50 gallon system with all the bells and whistles (I can spend more because it's smaller, but not too many fish).

So, tell me this: If I do decide to go with the limited water change system (200+ gallon/large refugium) do you think I'd be able to keep a wide range of SPS (albeit in limited quantities) as well as the LPS/Softies?

I've been out of the sw hobby for a couple of years, so I still have the "solution to pollution is dilution" menality. I do weekly 20% on all my fw tanks. If technology has made it possible keep a sw tank and only do bi yearly wc's, I'd love to see pics the results.

I've been out of the sw hobby for a couple of years, so I still have the "solution to pollution is dilution" menality. I do weekly 20% on all my fw tanks. If technology has made it possible keep a sw tank and only do bi yearly wc's, I'd love to see pics the results.

I think that technology has come a long way, but I still feel that water changes are very important to a system.

With my 200+ gallon system I am hoping that having a very large refugium will allow for minimal water changes (probably only 3-4 times a year of 10%).

If anyone does have pictures of a long term, no water change system I would love to see it.

55g 5gallon water change every 2-3 months.

i've gone longer between though

That's exactly what I want to do- 10% every few months.

I see that you, as well as Kgoldy who does no water changes, both manage to keep a wide variety of soft, LPS, and SPS corals which is what I want to do.

Are either of you doing anything special that I should know about?

I plan to skim, dose if needed, and do my 10% water changes every few months.

30% water change once a week on a 40g system. Though I try to keep nutrients as low as possible and mostly keep SPS

Thanks for the input, hopefully I can create a Mixed Reef with a minimal amount of water changes.

At 200g you shouldnt have to do any water changes and wouldnt need a fuge unless you wanted it. Ive heard around the 90g mark you can get your tank to go water changeless as long as you use a supplement like b-ionic.

skimlessinseattle

I have personally found that everything in my tank positively responds to, and looks better with frequent partial water changes. Just remember, everything that eats, poops.

Archived