Top Shelf Aquatics

Patience is a virtue

rkraider

So I bought my first nano an 8gal cad lights, and so far I am loving the look. I set up the tank two weeks ago today, and it's still cycling. My ammonia is still high, and I started the tank with live rock and live sand. Is this normal for this small of a tank?

During the cycle, it's practically pointless to test water unless you're bored.

Wait a week or two more, and test again. Your tank will probably be ready then!

When I cycled, I tested for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate once a week to help me get familiar with the test kits and to watch the tanks progress. I do 3 gal WC's every week so now I test for the "cycle 3" whenever I suspect some shenanigans.

When I cycled, I tested for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate once a week to help me get familiar with the test kits and to watch the tanks progress. I do 3 gal WC's every week so now I test for the "cycle 3" whenever I suspect some shenanigans.

You dont need to do wc during the cycle unless you do a soft cycle and dont want to kiil inhabitant of your LR.

WC will actually slow things down.

Dont leave your light on either, it will just promote algea growth... B)

you could test twice a week and gather all the info after a month and make a graph with it. You will then see all the "spikes".

I have started many tanks with live rock and never got a noticeable cycle. You shouldn't get any die off when you use live rock from another tank that is running.

My 10G nano didn't have much of a cycles either. I used cured live rock and live sand. The tank went about 12 days and all tests showed zeros acros the board. At that point I started with my CUC and then a week later added my first 2 fish and corals. I also started a 2.5G Pico for an end table in the living room using cured live rock and sand again and the tests are showing zeros again. Today I was going to pick up some snails and corals for it. I think it's when people go with uncured rock or regular sand is when you'll see a full cycle because things need to develop.

altolamprologus
Strange :huh: I started with live cured rock, and live sand and I am 20 days into the cycle and I'm still showing ammonia over 1 ppm

Could be your test kit. Take it to your LFS to double check

Live rock is pretty variable when added to a tank, and while some tanks will never cycle when set up new with LR some will.

The LR could only be partially cured, has die off due to shipping, or who knows. OP didn't say where it came from. Ammo test could be good, or it could be accurate - who knows.

What we do know is we *don't know* where the LR came from or it's state. If it was partially cured we're seeing a die off.

LR taken from the top of an established tank is usually pretty flippin stable and is ready to stock another tank because everything is healthy. LR taken from the base of an established tank will often showe die-off as the previusly buried surfaces get some oxygen and start to decay. Host of other scenarios. If I were the OP I'd double check the test kit with a friendly reef shop, and if indeed ammo is still happening then the rock wasn't cured.

Thank you Blasterman, that s really good info.

My Live Rock came from the LFS, they said it was cured. I had it in the tank w/in 30min of it coming out of theirs.

But on a different note, my Ammonia is at ZERO!!! Now my Nitrite is very high, right around 6ppm (very purple).

How long does it take for the Nitrite to cycle to Nitrate? I feel im getting really close now to add my CUC!

Your getting there.

As stated, just forget about your tank for now. Test weekly and get a temporary fill in hobby.

Time is your best friend. Ya should be good to go in a couple weeks.

Your getting there.

As stated, just forget about your tank for now. Test weekly and get a temporary fill in hobby.

Time is your best friend. Ya should be good to go in a couple weeks.

Thats gonna be tough, since my other hobby is reading forums about SaltWater Tanks..LOL

I have a 14 gal. biocube. I started testing a week in. My tank took 2 weeks to cycle enough to add my cleaning crew. Eight days after adding my live rock I got my diatom bloom (brown stuff all over the rock and sand). A couple days later I started to get hair alge growing. At that point, my ammonia was at 0 and I had a big spike in my nitrite. A couple days later, the nitrite was at 0 and the nitate was around 5-10ppm. That's when I felt it was safe to add CUC. So far, I haven't lost a single critter. Tank has been cycling for 4.5 weeks. Added my first fish 1.5 weeks ago and have been adding a coral here and there.

Thats gonna be tough, since my other hobby is reading forums about SaltWater Tanks..LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I totally could have written this. I've actually ordered a second setup so that I would have something else to do in the meantime.

I gotta just stop going to forums for awhile (somehow).

LOL @ ShanePike

I now have the Brown algea showing up on my rocks and sand. Did another test yesterday (Over 5 weeks in now) and my ammonia went back up, it is now between .25 .50 ppm, and my nitrite's and nitrates' are off the chart, Deep purple, and orange.

Is it possible im cycling again? Can two cycles happen? If so does the second cycle last long?

Oh, also should I be doing water changes now? Could that be the reason I'm on this endless cycle with an 8 gallon tank?

Archived