Innovative Marine Aquariums

AC 70 Fuge Mod -- What Media To Run?

nyknicks4412

So the last thing I need to add to my tank is the AC 70 modded to become a fuge. I have everything I need to do the modifications. My issue is I don't know what to run in it besides Chaeto. I was thinking filter floss and chemipure eite? Maybe some activated carbon? I don't know I am really new in terms of this stuff. Any suggestions or explanations on what they do would be great!

I run filter floss, chaeto and sometimes I will put chemipure elite... Activated carbon and chemipure elite are very similar products though so you can just get the chemipure elite and run that.

I run filter floss, chaeto and sometimes I will put chemipure elite... Activated carbon and chemipure elite are very similar products though so you can just get the chemipure elite and run that.

where do you put the filter floss and chemipure elite? also is there any negatives to consistently running chemipure? thanks for your help!

i took a piece of egg create and cut it to fit then put a filter sock over it. (i clean the fuge every week so its no problem) thats in the bottom, sock full of carbon and gfo just sits on that, and the chaeto on top of that.

to much gfo will melt the chaeto btw...

where do you put the filter floss and chemipure elite? also is there any negatives to consistently running chemipure? thanks for your help!

I don't think there is a negative but I don't think you NEED to run it consistently. Regular water changes and maintenance with filter floss and chaeto should keep your water polished like carbon or CPE does. I run the filter floss by the plastic blocking the chaeto from falling out of my AC110. Also, I run the small CPE bag.

i took a piece of egg create and cut it to fit then put a filter sock over it. (i clean the fuge every week so its no problem) thats in the bottom, sock full of carbon and gfo just sits on that, and the chaeto on top of that.

to much gfo will melt the chaeto btw...

gonna go ahead and act like a noob.. what is gfo?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Going to try and run filter floss, chemipure elite, purigen and chaeto in my AC 70. Placed the order from marine depot today. Any suggestions for how to mod the AC 70 to fit these or what order to put them in would be great. I have 2 submersible bulbs for the chaeto.

Also, polyfill from Michaels will work for filter floss right?

intank media baskets are a pretty popular choice. i went with the free solution, used the standard basket and just set media bags and chaeto into it. i did hot glue (hot glue is great imo easy to reverse or fix, comes off with alcohol super fast) a piece of egg crate and a piece of knitting screen over the output to keep the chaeto in.

• 5 months later...
AquaEscaping
intank media baskets are a pretty popular choice. i went with the free solution, used the standard basket and just set media bags and chaeto into it. i did hot glue (hot glue is great imo easy to reverse or fix, comes off with alcohol super fast) a piece of egg crate and a piece of knitting screen over the output to keep the chaeto in.

Anyone with pictures of their Ac mods?

im running the inTank basket with the 2stage filter floss 1st chamber, seachem's seagel and purigen in 2nd chamber and chaeto in the last.

doppelganger

Just becareful with anything that has gfo in it. It can definitely cause issues if you use too much. carbon isn't as big as an issue if you use over the amount recommended but gfo you have to start off low (maybe half amount they recommend) and gradually increase.

I've heard lots of ppl use polyfil from stores like walmart without any issues but i don't know if the cost is worth the risk as many are recycled and alot of them have flame retardant on them. So unless you know for sure, it might be better to bite the bullet and buy for a LFS or something. Or find an exact product that other ppl use without issues.

Archived