Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help black areas in sand

asherah

There are black areas in my sand bed! 4 different spots. They've been there for about a week. The tank is only a couple weeks old at the most. Just uncured rock and aragonite sand. Only abou an inch deep. I have never seen this before. It's in about the middle of the sand bed against the glass.

asherah

There are black areas in my sand bed! 4 different spots. They've been there for about a week. The tank is only a couple weeks old at the most. Just uncured rock and aragonite sand. Only abou an inch deep. I have never seen this before. It's in about the middle of the sand bed against the glass.

asherah

Take some pictures first, then siphon it off into a bucket with a hose. My guess would be cyano algae, but for some reason, I can recall seeing black areas in sand beds... Just can't think of any instances when it has happened. But I know I've seen it before.

ok this a really crappy picture. This was the smallest spot, in the back. I took out the other 2 spots that were larger in the front already. I wish I had a pic of it. Anyway its the dark spot in the middle of sand bed near the back of the tank. I hope you can see it.

6855152151_722b7db2b2.jpg

photo (17)1 by asherah2, on Flickr

edited to add an arrow.

Archived