ReefCleaners.org

LFS That Treat You Like Crap

Euphyllia

Just a bit pissed off... Today, I went to an LFS I've been going to for more than four years, sometimes weekly for months at a time. I've spent literally thousands there, and I regret all of it. Today, I went there after a few months of not going because I haven't had much extra money to spend lately. The worker that I've known for more than four years was extremely rude. I asked if I could pick out the guppies I wanted, and he told me that if I picked the fish that I wanted, the price would be FIVE TIMES the original price. I'm usually buying $50 fish and $200 anemones (overpriced) from them and this is the first time I've picked from the freshwater section. How much freaking effort would it take to catch like three fish? I didn't want to pay $25 for a few guppies, so I let him pick. He got the net and went into the back room, got some feeder guppies, fed ALL of the fish in the freshwater section, then took his time to pick out the most deformed guppies possible. I was standing there for like 10 minutes loudly sighing and tapping my feet to get his attention. I even had to play the, "I've been coming here for four years and I've spent thousands of dollars in this store, which has gone to you on commission... Can I pick out my guppies?" card... <_<

Do your guys' LFS piss you off sometimes, or is it just mine that sucks this hard? I have plenty of other LFS that I would rather spend my money at, but this particular one is just too convenient when I need their crap last minute...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Sorry to hear about that. that's not right charging 5 times the price to choose the fish you want. That's like trying to buy a clown and him getting the one that is sitting on the sandbed breathing rapidly. They don't deserve your business!

You might have caught him on a bad day. Or you might be one of the " I spend a lot so I am allowed to be difficult" types. Although guppies are really easy to catch. Hell, he might just be an ass. :lol:

but seriously though, he might of had a bad day. Maybe management was on his back about taking too long to catch fish or not feeding enough. So he sarcastically fed while customers were waiting and threatened price hikes for being too selective. All just speculation though.

Wow. Sorry to hear about that. that's not right charging 5 times the price to choose the fish you want. That's like trying to buy a clown and him getting the one that is sitting on the sandbed breathing rapidly. They don't deserve your business!

The sad thing is, they're busier than any other LFS in the area, out of the tens that are around here, that offer healthy coral, healthy fish, ORA stuff, designer clowns, ect. They have the highest prices and probably the worst selection, but they keep raking in the money. It's just so convenient that I can't stop going there, which drives me nuts. They know me very personally as well. The dude was like really stoned too, which may be some explanation. I had to help him count out the change for what I purchased... I gave him a $100 bill straight from the bank and the change was exactly $90. He at first gave me three twenties, and then I reminded him about the $10 in his left hand. I asked for another $20 bill to make the $90 he owed me in change, and then I had to help him count out the total of the five bills...

Nope my LFS is awesome and gives me special discounts and freebies all the time. Although i do take pictures for them, bring in frags(for credit), and just stop by to shoot the wind with them sometimes. I'm also making some equipment for them(which they pay me for of course).

You might have caught him on a bad day. Or you might be one of the " I spend a lot so I am allowed to be difficult" types. Although guppies are really easy to catch. Hell, he might just be an ass. :lol:

but seriously though, he might of had a bad day. Maybe management was on his back about taking too long to catch fish or not feeding enough. So he sarcastically fed while customers were waiting and threatened price hikes for being too selective. All just speculation though.

True. When I talked to some other people about it, they said it may just be a bad day. It was ten minutes before closing when I left and I was the only customer in the store.

I do kinda admit, I am the "I spend a lot so I'm allowed to be difficult" types, but I don't have to treat any other LFS that way, because they don't treat me unfairly. When I asked him to double bag the bag, he literally refused because "it was made from strong plastic." I always try to get the best deal I can get because I don't have wads of extra cash in my pocket. I don't try to be difficult, but I'm one of those people that treats you like you treat me. If you're rude or mean, I'm the same way back. If you're nice (like all of the other LFS in the area), I'm as good as gold.

Nope my LFS is awesome and gives me special discounts and freebies all the time. Although i do take pictures for them, bring in frags(for credit), and just stop by to shoot the wind with them sometimes. I'm also making some equipment for them(which they pay me for of course).

Dang... Sounds awesome. I don't think my LFS would treat anyone that nicely, even if they gave them enough money to close down the shop and pay for every employee's retirement. It's not just this time they've been horrible. One time they sold me a bleached and starved BTA when I was a newbie and they told me it was perfectly healthy. Then they sold me cyclopeez to make it turn red...? When I brought it back after getting it into better condition, the owner's wife dumped it into the tank without acclimation and when I came back to inquire the owner about how much he would give me for it, like the owner's wife promised, he claimed there was no anemone brought in and the wife conveniently "forgot"..... Ha.

I already know which store,

Whoa... Is that your ear in your avatar? I've never seen seen an earlobe gauge that big! So awesome. :o

get a new LFS dude! and give'em a bad rating online. In fact, what is their rating?

Last time I checked it was four or four and a half stars. If they read the rating or comment I leave, they would know exactly who left it and would put me through heck and back about it. <_<

I'm not unsatisfied with what I got. It's the way I was treated. I mean, what can you expect from fish mill guppies other than deformities and sickness? These were mildly healthy, and I got them for an okay price. But I don't think I'll forget the way I was treated tonight.

I have one I go to that is not my main LFS but its usually got a decent selection on stuff my favorite store don't have and the owner don't really treat me great. It might be because I'm a younger guy and have not spent hundreds of dollars at his store. But I have a good paying job and a decent amount allotted for spending on my tank so I feel I should be treated well as well. Like when I ask about frags that are in frag tank but not on tiles(as if they fell off and started to grow on side of tub) he will tell me that they are not for sale. How much work would it be to pull it off and put it in a bag. I also have to wait until the regulars get helped. While in my main LFS I will let new people go in front of me so i can talk to the owner longer and I always get discounts at my main place. Why can't all owners treat you with the respect that I get at my main LFS. Sorry for ranting I just hate people that own a business and think they can treat younger people like crap cause most young people are broke and window shoppers. /rant

Yeah there is a more upscale store i go to sometimes and they don't treat me well either. I don't ever go there. Unless there is absolutely something i need that the "ratty" LFS doesn't have. Reminds me, i should give'em a review.

Last time I checked it was four or four and a half stars. If they read the rating or comment I leave, they would know exactly who left it and would put me through heck and back about it. <_<

I'm not unsatisfied with what I got. It's the way I was treated. I mean, what can you expect from fish mill guppies other than deformities and sickness? These were mildly healthy, and I got them for an okay price. But I don't think I'll forget the way I was treated tonight.

Don't say specifically what happened, just say you would like to be treated better. Their service sucks, people should know.

I have one I go to that is not my main LFS but its usually got a decent selection on stuff my favorite store don't have and the owner don't really treat me great. It might be because I'm a younger guy and have not spent hundreds of dollars at his store. But I have a good paying job and a decent amount allotted for spending on my tank so I feel I should be treated well as well. Like when I ask about frags that are in frag tank but not on tiles(as if they fell off and started to grow on side of tub) he will tell me that they are not for sale. How much work would it be to pull it off and put it in a bag. I also have to wait until the regulars get helped. While in my main LFS I will let new people go in front of me so i can talk to the owner longer and I always get discounts at my main place. Why can't all owners treat you with the respect that I get at my main LFS. Sorry for ranting I just hate people that own a business and think they can treat younger people like crap cause most young people are broke and window shoppers. /rant

Sad to know that my LFS isn't the only one like this. Not sure if you're just a positive person, but your bad LFS sounds a lot better than mine. They never help the regulars first. I have to wait in lines for 15 minutes sometimes just to pay, and other times I have to wander around the store looking for somebody to help me. I would stop shopping there in a heartbeat if it weren't so close to me. They were the only place around that had guppies, excluding petco and petsmart, which I had already tried. :(

Don't say specifically what happened, just say you would like to be treated better. Their service sucks, people should know.

Yeah, I suppose I might, but I want to think about it a bit first. I don't really think people would not go just because of one bad review. I'm not out to get revenge or to hurt their business, it's their problem. I think the first time people go there they would figure it out on their own, but for newbies, it may seem like fish heaven. I don't think they would listen to anyone but their almighty LFS workers. But then again, if they read it, it may help them kick their ethics back into shape. :unsure:

travisman1994

I know what you mean. All the LFS in my area suck. There prices are all crazy and the quality is bad. For example they wanted $11 a pound for live rock when I first started. I could tell they just wanted my money with how they were talking. Than on top of it they are always super stuck up like they know it all.

Than there is another store I went to that had Live Rock $10 that store was crazy priced as well. I was told that the guy at this store is almost always drunk when he is working and if you know how to use words and catch him at the right time you can get discounts haha.....

Also there is the one that I am close to all the time because its by my school. I got my live rock from their because it was only like $6 There fish, Inverts and Corals are expensive though. Cheaper than the other stores but still expensive. They are at least willing to answer questions. They always seem busy to maintain there store.

Oh and if I drive about 1 hour away I can go to tropicorium which has been the store with the best deals so far. Cheap $10 coral frags and everything is reasonably priced. I just wish it was closer.

I know what you mean. All the LFS in my area suck. There prices are all crazy and the quality is bad. For example they wanted $11 a pound for live rock when I first started. I could tell they just wanted my money with how they were talking. Than on top of it they are always super stuck up like they know it all.

Than there is another store I went to that had Live Rock $10 that store was crazy priced as well. I was told that the guy at this store is almost always drunk when he is working and if you know how to use words and catch him at the right time you can get discounts haha.....

Also there is the one that I am close to all the time because its by my school. I got my live rock from their because it was only like $6 There fish, Inverts and Corals are expensive though. Cheaper than the other stores but still expensive. They are at least willing to answer questions. They always seem busy to maintain there store.

Oh and if I drive about 1 hour away I can go to tropicorium which has been the store with the best deals so far. Cheap $10 coral frags and everything is reasonably priced. I just wish it was closer.

Bahahah! I wish there were drunk guys at my LFS that would give me special perks... :(

I as well am forced to drive an hour to get to a decent LFS. :(

Well in there defence, though I'm not saying its right closing time is the worst time to come in. But if you have been coming there for that long they should regonize you and help you out all you need. Guppies are not hard to catch and trust me I know the hard and easy fish to catch, zebra danios being the worst along with damsels. But five times the price is outrageous. Most stores should do that for free. And I'll admit that I do help new people before the regulars because we usually talk for a long time and after awhile you become friends with the the people who are always in there and if your a regular you are probably friends with managment. But yea sounds like a trip after that it's time to change stores. Just adding my two cents

Well in there defence, though I'm not saying its right closing time is the worst time to come in. But if you have been coming there for that long they should regonize you and help you out all you need. Guppies are not hard to catch and trust me I know the hard and easy fish to catch, zebra danios being the worst along with damsels. But five times the price is outrageous. Most stores should do that for free. And I'll admit that I do help new people before the regulars because we usually talk for a long time and after awhile you become friends with the the people who are always in there and if your a regular you are probably friends with managment. But yea sounds like a trip after that it's time to change stores. Just adding my two cents

Yeah, I liked it when he said that he wasn't going to spend time catching them, and there was nothing in the tank but gravel and fish. :lol:

The management, which is a dude and his wife, pretty much avoid me. When they see me walking towards, them, they just happen to walk the other way. I think its because I've given them a piece of my mind a few times, like the time I brought in the anemone and it "disappeared." The only time I've spoken with them is if I want a price marked down on something or a price on something that is unmarked. :P

Yeahp my lobes!

What size needle did they use for the initial piercing, like a 2 gauge? That must have really hurt!! Did you have to stretch it slowly over time? :huh:

That sucks. :(

Like seriously, it's not that hard to catch a few guppies..try catching a tang!

IKR? I didn't even have difficulty catching them in my old 29g that was completely filled with anacharis and large decorative obstacles! :lol:

Well in there defence, though I'm not saying its right closing time is the worst time to come in. But if you have been coming there for that long they should regonize you and help you out all you need.

That is not true at all... Being a small business owner myself, I like last minute customers... That is my last opportunity that day to throw some last minute sales on the books(or off the books for that matter :P). The guy probably wasn't the owner though, so all he is focused on is going home to smoke some more bud...

Wow my LFS is very nice. They always double bag things, have good advice and help me out questions. They make sure to tell me if things won't be compatible as well. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

Maybe talk to the manager ? I'm sure he wouldn't want people stoned at work.

That is not true at all... Being a small business owner myself, I like last minute customers... That is my last opportunity that day to throw some last minute sales on the books(or off the books for that matter :P). The guy probably wasn't the owner though, so all he is focused on is going home to smoke some more bud...

Haha, I wish he were high enough where he wouldn't care about catching guppies or double bagging! But I don't really wish somebody would use drugs, so nevermind... :P

Wow my LFS is very nice. They always double bag things, have good advice and help me out questions. They make sure to tell me if things won't be compatible as well. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

Maybe talk to the manager ? I'm sure he wouldn't want people stoned at work.

I know the dude and his brother pretty personally. He would figure out who it was who snitched. It may have just been a bad day, but he didn't seem too alert. Wasn't definitely stoned, but it was just a thought I had when I had to help him so much with counting of the money. Then it triggered the memory of how slow he was responding to questions, or just how slow he was talking. But hopefully it was just a bad day or something. I kinda liked the dude, but I just didn't like the way I was treated. I don't feel like I'm the queen of Lichtenstein or anything, heck no, but I do think I deserve to be listened to when asking such a simple thing like double bagging... <_<

I might just be jaded because I'm so used to being helped last in any small business do to my age I mean when I went looking for my wife's engagement ring I left more then one place because they did not want to take the rings out of the display because they thought I did not have the money to buy it in the first place. Or when I go to a car lot seeking to look at a car I'm interested in purchasing most won't even bat an eye. Main reason I still go is they have great prices on coral when they are nice enough to take care of me

Archived