SaltCritters.com

am I going to BURN DOWN MY HOUSE!

ecogirl22

i read an old thread that said this was really bad. I posed on that old thread (2006:) at 9am but no one's responded (I assume because the title isn't "am i going to burn down my house";)....so I thought i'd start fresh here. I'm really worried....I hooked up "TrueLumen 453nm Blue 3-LED Linking Module, (its 3 .25 watts= .75 watts total)" to a 9 volt plug thing. It's supposed to have a 12volt. I thought going under was fine--they might not burn as bright but now i'm reading its a fire hazard? really?! should i run home and unplug them!!!!!!?(of course, its a bit late now...)

THANKS!

i wouldnt think its a fire hazard i have a 12v fan on my solar furnace that i ran at 15v for 4 months and now run at 9v .. shouldnt be a fire hazard...

someone can correct me if I am wrong lol.. you could always call the manufacturer

I dont think you have a problem, but do this go over to a goodwill store, in the electronic section they have tons of power supplies you can buy for like 1-2$

For that setup 12v 600ma will be fine. Goodwill is a good source for power supplies :D especially the hard to fine 6v and high MA rated stuff.

Probably not but if the LED's are getting the voltage they need, they will probably not shine as bright and burn out faster. Why not just go get a 12v Power supply? Its like $20..

Goodwill usually just has them in a bin, just read the back for 12v 600ma and your golden, more than likley will not have to even change the end as most 12v connections are standard. Bring one of the moduals in for a a perfect fit !

Probably not but if the LED's are getting the voltage they need, they will probably not shine as bright and burn out faster. Why not just go get a 12v Power supply? Its like $20..

(actually its only $15 to get the manufacturer one)The moonlights are purely so i can see what's going on in the tank between 7pm and 10pm, I did not want to spend $25 for that! (led module was $10) ok so i'm cheap. real cheap.....but it seems like people are saying 9volt is ok. 9 volt was what i had lying around in my own personal goodwill power adapter section...I have a collection a a dozen...too bad no 12volters. I'll see if i can pick one up next time i'm at goodwill (sometime this summer:)

THANKS GUYS (and gals)

Goodwill usually just has them in a bin, just read the back for 12v 600ma and your golden, more than likley will not have to even change the end as most 12v connections are standard. Bring one of the moduals in for a a perfect fit !

my 9 volt one the plug on it was a perfect fit! that's why i'm using it, i didn't have to cut wires:)

(actually its only $15 to get the manufacturer one)The moonlights are purely so i can see what's going on in the tank between 7pm and 10pm, I did not want to spend $25 for that! (led module was $10) ok so i'm cheap. real cheap.....but it seems like people are saying 9volt is ok. 9 volt was what i had lying around in my own personal goodwill power adapter section...I have a collection a a dozen...too bad no 12volters. I'll see if i can pick one up next time i'm at goodwill (sometime this summer:)

THANKS GUYS (and gals)

Or any local thrift store typically has a bin :D

You'll be fine, its when you overdrive things that a problem usually occurs.

good. this was a real old thread from 2006 and everyone was saying bricks explode when they're UNDER rated. Overdriving wasn't as much of a fire hazard, that's why I got concerned. It seems counter intuitive, but i had to check and make sure!

I dont think you have a problem, but do this go over to a goodwill store, in the electronic section they have tons of power supplies you can buy for like 1-2$

For that setup 12v 600ma will be fine. Goodwill is a good source for power supplies :D especially the hard to fine 6v and high MA rated stuff.

+1 i get all my ac adapters at salvation army or goodwill.. cant beat the price.

if you ever need heatsinks look for old surround sound recievers.. the salvation army near me sells them for like 10 bux and sometimes the whole inside is lined with a huge heatsink

BTW is there some formula for figuring this out. Purely hypothetical because i don't know what normal is (nor do i have them in front of me) but lets SAY my leds require a 12v 500ma power.....if I provide 9v 700ma is that "the same" (roughly) because when you multiply them there nearly equal?

+1 i get all my ac adapters at salvation army or goodwill.. cant beat the price.

if you ever need heatsinks look for old surround sound recievers.. the salvation army near me sells them for like 10 bux and sometimes the whole inside is lined with a huge heatsink

wow good tip! i'll have to remember that one for the imaginary 240g LED build. heehee:)

Archived