Cultivated Reef

The not_so_nano 90g TANK THREAD ! New Pics 2/27/12

not_so_nano

how is everyone else doing with NP pellets ? Any long term feedback ?

if by npx biopellets your talking about the 2 little fish brand then yes i am running the same pellets with the phosban reactor on my 100gal. been running it for a while, over 6 months, and so far so good. my skimmer is definitely skimming more than it used to.

i suggest you remove the feed pump to your skimmer and feed it directly from the biopellet reactor. this way any bacteria coming off the pellets will be skimmed away and you will free up an extra socket and lower your electricity bill. this is how i have mine setup with my skimmer.

you do have a point, it can feed corals and other filter feeders. just everyone who uses or advertise the pellets recommend feeding the skimmer as it can remove the excess bacteria most efficiently

seen a lot of videos of tank builders and skimmer manufacture feed the skimmer with the pellets.

just stating my reasoning. ive ran the reactor without feeding the skimmer before my skimmer upgrade and the tank was still fine. didnt really see much of a change of with it feed and not feeding the skimmer. i guess my biggest point was simply trying to tell you you can spare an extra socket and save a little on your energy bill by using one pump for 2 purposes.

you do have a point, it can feed corals and other filter feeders. just everyone who uses or advertise the pellets recommend feeding the skimmer as it can remove the excess bacteria most efficiently

seen a lot of videos of tank builders and skimmer manufacture feed the skimmer with the pellets.

just stating my reasoning. ive ran the reactor without feeding the skimmer before my skimmer upgrade and the tank was still fine. didnt really see much of a change of with it feed and not feeding the skimmer. i guess my biggest point was simply trying to tell you you can spare an extra socket and save a little on your energy bill by using one pump for 2 purposes.

Point taken and I will look into it !

Looks great! Love the corals! Ever consider Aqua Illumination LED lights?

I am so torn on the whole LED thing. I love the color that they produce and the longevity but I like you have discovered that larger tanks are a "money pit". Every time I feel the need to even think about upgrading lighting I say to myself "I have this nice T5 fixture that has been doing me just fine and is not that old yet"

Then I blow money on something else for the tank. :D

Since I am pretty stocked on corals and equipment (unless something goes horrible wrong - knock on wood) I will probably save up as much as I can before the next bulb replacement which is close to a year away and see what kind of cash I have on hand.

I have been also just been kinda waiting it out. There are more and more fixtures coming on the market and right now and you seem to be offered more bang for the buck as time goes on. I hate the feeling of spending way to much for something and see it come down so much in price.

T5's have also given proven results for the last 7 or more years, LEDS are still new and I also want to see more on long term growth and benefits besides saving some cash. You see these beautiful tanks with all plush SPS colonies all grown in with great colors under LED, But remember they also had more than likley used some form of older lighting to get to that point before going to LED. Some folks just see LED under the header of a tank that is 10 years old and right of way attribute all the credit to the LED lighting.

TinyGiant has some pretty well document growth with various corals under a cheaper Chinese made GU10 DIY light. Heres another forum on here about led lights' coral growth

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=262009

its Neto's and i think he has a nice shallow 20g with the same leds over it. So there isnt really examples of 5+ years of good results like T-5 and MH, but there is some good shorter term results.

how do you like the flow patterns of mp10 and mp40 together?

I can not complain, over 4500g of random flow if I need it. They work togeather just fine and is more than enough for a 90. If your in a 6ft tank, 2-mp40s would be more optimal, At half power the streams of both pumps mix in the middle of the tank very well.

Just put in my last 200g of NP pellets and things are looking good. Any of the SPS that was on its last leg from the dkh hishap in my 75 has been tossed and has cleared the way for any corals I will get at the Live Aquaria Open House this weekend !

I had a slight cloudy water issue but slapped my 9w UV back on the system and things cleared right up. All my sps are looking magical with great color and good polyp extention. I also did start dosing C-Balance, purchased the gallon size. I will see how long this lasts and will more than likley be ordering BRS 2 part when this is gone.

I have experienced tons of growth in the last 2 weeks, A purple fuzz acro that all but died has already re-encrusted half of the dead skeleton. Very amazing ! Everything has great looking white growth tips, my bali slimer seems to be going haywire with new growth shoots everyplace !

Bio pellets seem to be doing the job, 4 weeks in, Nitrate is 0 phos is 0 via API tests. I did a very small 15g water change 2 days ago just because but I dont think it was needed.

Skimmer is now fed by the feed reactor feed pump at roughly 300gph and pulling so nice crud out.

Archived