Pod Your Reef

Wave Point LED

Primitive

Some corals and inverts

Lol rather broad answer there... Need more details about both the type of corals/inverts (clam/nems/sps/lps/softies/zoas) and more details about the light itself. Short answer: probably not...

Lol rather broad answer there... Need more details about both the type of corals/inverts (clam/nems/sps/lps/softies/zoas) and more details about the light itself. Short answer: probably not...

Haha sorry all those except clams im thinking. And really? What's the watts per gallon rule?

http://www.wave-point.com/Lighting_folder/...ClampLight.html

I got the blue/white lights

I dont know that there is a watts per gallon rule really for LEDs, but i have 24watts over my 10g and i still only keep SPS in the top half or so of the tank. depending on the dimensions of the tank that fixture may be just fine as long as you keep the more demanding stuff towards the top of the tank. I know nothing about wavepoint specifically though.

• 11 months later...

From what I've read and experienced, the specific way LEDs work as a light source in the aquarium, the 'watts-per-gallon' rule doesn't really apply. Mainly because, it can't really accurately define how much light is actually being put into your tank. From what I understand, LEDs work off of things like light output and kelvins and what not. It's a little more complicated. Certainly more complicated than my simple mind can handle at this point.

BUT. I have the exact fixture you're asking about. It's so sexy, and it puts out a beautiful spectrum. It's got 6 450nm blues, and 2 10k whites.
It sits atop a 3 gallon Pictope. So far, I've had more success in that tank than any of my other tanks. There's more to it than just the light, but I attribute a lot of that success to the Wavepoint LED Clamp Light. I'm keeping everything(Softies - LPS - SPS), healthy and growing*, from mushrooms and zoas, to a Ponape Birdsnest.
I ordered an anemone for my birthday, and it'll be here tomorrow. I've had so much success with the other corals that I think it'll be plenty of light for a Mini Maxi.

My next tank will be a 4 gallon, sort of a display refugium, and I'll be getting the 10k version of the light for it.
It's been more than enough light for my 3 gallon. I couldn't tell you definitively if it'll be enough for your tank or your corals, but I've had success with it. I also plan on upgrading to the 12" 16W B/W fixture for my 5.5g, which doesn't have any corals just yet.
I think it's a great light, especially for the price. I got mine from petmountain.com. But for a bigger tank like a 6 gallon, if it fits, you might look into the bigger fixture.
If you'd like, you can PM me and I'll get you some updates on the 'nem.

Archived