Pod Your Reef

Quarantine Question

heifinator

Can I run a hospital / QT tank without a filter.

Just some clay pots / pvc for hiding, a heater, power head for circulation and thats it. If I do like a 25% water change daily will that be ok?

It's doable, but why not just throw live rock in? It would be much simpler and less stressfull on yourself, and the inhabitants. Less stress is one of the main points of quarantining.

It's doable, but why not just throw live rock in? It would be much simpler and less stressfull on yourself, and the inhabitants. Less stress is one of the main points of quarantining.

I generally try to avoid any kind of substrate that could potentially interfere/absorb with any of the medicine you may be adding to the quarantine tank or the pest itself. So no LR or DSB in any of my quarantines. That being said, you make a very very good point about stress. Its probably more valuable to keep your fish calm and at home with its surroundings WITH the LR.... so I may have to rethink my quarantine!

I didn't want live rock for that exact reason. I am treating a couple fish for ich and leaving my display empty for 4 - 6 weeks. I will probably pick up a HoB filter in a few days but If i just do water changes with no filter and a powerhead for circulation will I be ok for a while?

Archived