Pod Your Reef

New To Nano's and NR and Have a Few Questions

calveezzzy

Hi everyone!

This is my official 1st post to NR after reading every single article on this site. I am excited to be starting a nano reef aquarium. I picked up a 20gallon tall tank with a heater from CL for $20, so I will be using that as my nano reef.

I had a few questions:

1) I also have a Fluval U4 filter that I picked up recently. Will this work well in my aquarium of only for the extra water movement and mechanical filtration?

2) I recently picked up 2 Hydor Koralia Nano 240's as well. If I do use the Fluval U4, should I use the 2 Koralias, or just 1? Also, what's the prefered locations for the Koralias to create the best water movement?

3) I was reading about using an AC70 as a mini-refugium on this site. Would this be better than having the Fluval U4?

4) What's the recommended wattage of lighting for my aquarium?

I probably have way more questions in my head, but I'm still busy reading all the posts on here, so a lot of my questions will probably be answered through a lot of thorough reading.

Thanks!

Calvin

Since it is an internal filter, it will take up space and be more difficult to service than a hang-on-back (HOB) filter like an aquaclear. It would be okay for mechanical filtration, but it might get clogged easily. Use both koralias because you can't have too much flow. Try placing them on opposite sides, with at least one pointing at the water surface to help keep it from developing a surface film and increasing gas exchange.

When considering lighting, ignore wattage because it is a unit of power, not a unit of light production. Different types of lighting produce different amounts of light for the same watt. Instead, first decide what type of livestock you want. If it's just fish, then most light fixtures will do. If you want corals, it depends on the corals (some need strong light; others are more tolerant of lower levels). Also, check the lighting forum to learn about the three dominant lighting types in this hobby: LEDs, metal halides, and T5HO fluorescents.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to sell off the U4 and make my AC70 into a refuge. I've been reading a lot of DIY on NR, and it seems REALLY easy to do.

And on that note, does anyone have any chaeto they would like to send me? :)

Hi everyone!

This is my official 1st post to NR after reading every single article on this site. I am excited to be starting a nano reef aquarium. I picked up a 20gallon tall tank with a heater from CL for $20, so I will be using that as my nano reef.

I had a few questions:

1) I also have a Fluval U4 filter that I picked up recently. Will this work well in my aquarium of only for the extra water movement and mechanical filtration?

2) I recently picked up 2 Hydor Koralia Nano 240's as well. If I do use the Fluval U4, should I use the 2 Koralias, or just 1? Also, what's the prefered locations for the Koralias to create the best water movement?

3) I was reading about using an AC70 as a mini-refugium on this site. Would this be better than having the Fluval U4?

4) What's the recommended wattage of lighting for my aquarium?

I probably have way more questions in my head, but I'm still busy reading all the posts on here, so a lot of my questions will probably be answered through a lot of thorough reading.

Thanks!

Calvin

1) The Fluval U4 is a pretty good filter that has won several awards overseas. I ran a couple of these in my nano freshwater tanks. The only problem is, their carbon filters can be tricky to replace at times. Make sure you have a LFS in mind where you can buy these at.

2) The Koralia 240's are also a good choice. Though, running both at once may be a little too much flow, but it depends on what kind of coral/fish you are going to stock your tank with (if your stock requires high flow, you can probably run both units plus your fluval).

3) A fuge is a fantastic addition to any tank and works in conjunction with your mechanical filter. It can break down a larger range of water pollutants than a strict carbon filter, but it can also act as a valuable food source for your main tank as well. Use both imo, but be sure to monitor your water quality closely!

4) Lastly, you will need to determine what kind of coral you will want to stock and what you can realistically afford, before choosing your lighting.

Two 240's are not going to be too much flow at all. I have a 425 and a 240 in a 25g and really need another 425. I also have an ac70.

I like t5s for all the color choices and cheaper cost.

U will probably wish u went bigger a few months from now on the flow. Is it a 20 long or high

I have two 240s and a canister filter that has a flow rate of 145 GPH in a 20H. IMO, it's not quite as much flow as I'd like and I'm considering getting one Hydor pico 160 to get just a little more flow in one dead spot by my skimmer.

Personally, I'd stay away from the U4. I had a U2 in my reef at the start and it was a PITA to clean. I actually find the canister easier to clean since I just pick it up and take it to the bathroom or kitchen sink.

Two 240's are not going to be too much flow at all. I have a 425 and a 240 in a 25g and really need another 425. I also have an ac70.

I like t5s for all the color choices and cheaper cost.

U will probably wish u went bigger a few months from now on the flow. Is it a 20 long or high

It's a 20 high. I think I'll have a lot of surface agitation with the AC70 and one of the Koralia 240's. I'm just a little worried about dead spots lower in the tank. I don't know if 240 down there will be enough to cover all the dead spots lower in the tank.

HI there! I just started a 20gallon high tank. I have 2 Koralia 240's and I wish I had the 425. I don't feel I'm getting the flow I'd like. I definitely have a couple dead spots that I can't seem to fix (And I've tried a bunch of combinations.) My husband now wants a tank after seeing mine so I'm going to order two 425's and switch out one of my 240's. I have one 240 shooting across the top of my tank and with my AC70 fuge it makes a nice disturbance at the top of my tank. I hope that helps!!!

krackerjacksna

For lights check out fishneedit.com. They have nice t5 units, and get some nice bulbs, LEDs are the way of the future, I don't know what your budget is, but research read, and ask questions

I have a fluorescent light fixture attached to the cabinet right about the aquarium. Is there any way I can just get different bulbs for the fixture I currently have?

Is this a canister filter? I had a fluval canister filter and it worked ok for a couple months and then became a nitrate/ammonia trap. A sump is ideal. I spent a lot of money trying to make other systems work but a sump was eventually my move and it was definitely worth it. You can put your fuge down there and have room for a skimmer if you want one later.

Archived