Coral Vue Hydros

Peppermint shrimp and Aiptasia

Fluffeh

so after witnessing one of my favorite colonies of zoa's getting stung last night by a small stray aiptasia, i want to get rid of these suckers! i've been using so much aiptasia-x and i can't keep up with all the small ones. from what i've read there's only two options then - 1) peppermint shrimp OR 2) benghai nudibranches (sp?). Since I can't find anyone that sells those nudibranches that only eat aiptasia, i guess im left with peppermint shrimp - however im scared to put them in the tank as some tell me if they are really hungy they will go after your corals too! I just want to know if i should take a chance with peppermints and if so how many? also, if i want to remove them from the tank how difficult is this once they are in? are they known to hide? is there any full proof way to remove them efficiently?

thanks for any help.

so after witnessing one of my favorite colonies of zoa's getting stung last night by a small stray aiptasia, i want to get rid of these suckers! i've been using so much aiptasia-x and i can't keep up with all the small ones. from what i've read there's only two options then - 1) peppermint shrimp OR 2) benghai nudibranches (sp?). Since I can't find anyone that sells those nudibranches that only eat aiptasia, i guess im left with peppermint shrimp - however im scared to put them in the tank as some tell me if they are really hungy they will go after your corals too! I just want to know if i should take a chance with peppermints and if so how many? also, if i want to remove them from the tank how difficult is this once they are in? are they known to hide? is there any full proof way to remove them efficiently?

thanks for any help.

i have used one and he did a great job, but then he took an emerald crab and a green clown goby, well he was snacking on them pretty flippin quickly lol. was in a while before that but he was fed invert food. Just always out and mega food aggressive, think i just got a duff one lol

I had a smallish aiptasia outbreak, 4 to 5 heads. I went and bought a peppermint shrimp and the next day they were all gone.

That guy is the bomb, he is fun to watch and pretty colorful. He hasn't bothered my brains or my hidden cup corals.

Go for it.

I'll take the other side of this, I have 2 in my 40 and have more aiptasia than before I added them. :lol:

Mine don't do anything and I hate them and they are useless.

are they really difficult to remove? my fear is that i'll add them and when my aiptasia or either gone or not, i won't be able to catch them.

I think they are. I had to take apart my whole aquascape to get it out. You could try to lure him out by feeding the tank, then just have a net ready. Or buy a Copperband butterfly and just catch him with a fish trap or a small fishing hook when you want to get rid of him.

I had some aiptasia back when my tank was pretty new. I bought 2 peppermint shrimp and they took care of all (probably about 10) my little aiptasia the first night. I am going to get a couple more because the rock my friend gave me pulsing xenias on is carrying a couple (and they're spreading)

I've heard they wont eat aiptasia if it's too big so get them while the pests are smaller.

Started getting a bunch of Aiptasia and had no luck with Aiptasia-X. Got 1 Peppermint Shrimp in my 29 gallon tank and they were all gone in about 3 days. I don't think they would be too difficult to get out if you decided to, mine comes after me if I put my hand in the tank. Mine only annoys my corals by walking over them or bumping into them. He's kinda comical to watch. Real nosey and clumsy, lol.

i got three of them about 3-4 days ago and they are hiding mostly. i did notice one of them picking at the rock as if he was trying to pull something out of it.... im not sure if he was trying to rip out an aptasia? however, about a minute later my cleaner shrimp comes over and chases him away. is it normal for cleaner shrimp to be aggressive toward peppermints? will they get better? he's really going after them sometimes it seems.

i tried something out today by giving my cleaner shrimp a big peice of krill to keep him busy, while he was eating away i noticed one of my peppermint shrimps coming out and he is ripping some aiptasias to shreds!!!! at least i think he is as he's reaching into the tiniest holes of my rock and seems to be eating something.. :)

hopefully i will find a significant decrease in aiptasia in the next few days!

well my cleaner shrimp is not getting along with the peppermints. he is chasing them constantly. is this a common problem? everyone told me they co-exist fine together but apparently that isn't happening

well my cleaner shrimp is not getting along with the peppermints. he is chasing them constantly. is this a common problem? everyone told me they co-exist fine together but apparently that isn't happening

I have two peppermints and two cleaners, the cleaners bully the peppermints all the time but I don't see any real harm.

thanks. one of my colonies of zoa's are being terrorized by what must be a tiny aiptasia. i have no idea what to do as the zoa's are just closing up. this has happened numerous times but i was always able to pinpoint the aiptasia, however this time after staring at the colony for what seemed like hours i could not find the aiptasia :( im not sure what to do at this point. any ideas?

I had 4-5 larger pieces of Aptasia. Bought a Peppermint shrimp and he irradiated them over night and then died about 4 weeks later. I think he wasn't getting his fair share of food. My Gramma and Clown are pretty aggressive eaters. Not much gets by them.

I've had good luck with peppermint shrimp taking care of aiptasia as long as they are the wurdemanni sp., they way you can tell is that the parts that aren't red are see through, if those parts are white it's the wrong one (californica sp.).

Archived