SaltCritters.com

Mantis Shrimp

teriyakithunder

teriyakithunder

I'm getting ready to have a mantis shrimp tank. I got a 36 gallon corner tank. I'm thinking of having a 3" sandbed with live rock. I'm also thinking of having a smaller layer of sand at the bottom then adding a plastic mesh, then covering it with the rest of the sand to somewhat prevent the chance of the mantis smashing the bottom of the tank thinking its a rock. Any other advice or suggestions?

I'm getting ready to have a mantis shrimp tank. I got a 36 gallon corner tank. I'm thinking of having a 3" sandbed with live rock. I'm also thinking of having a smaller layer of sand at the bottom then adding a plastic mesh, then covering it with the rest of the sand to somewhat prevent the chance of the mantis smashing the bottom of the tank thinking its a rock. Any other advice or suggestions?

I have heard of people using Plexiglases sheets on the bottom. Plus try to keep you live rock on top of the sand. That way if they are smashing their way down they will hit the sand and know when to stop.

I just learned this yesterday. keep your thermometer and heater hidden in a sump... or up high. They don't like the color red...mine just broke my thermometer

i am no expert but there are some really amazing threads with tons of people with experience on here with tons of great info... shout out to "theunfocusedone".. he has helped me tons!

Plus try to keep you live rock on top of the sand.

Dont do this! Unless you want it trapped under the rock from a collapse...

i guess its amazing how they could ever survive in the wild without us burring the rock for them

They smash and burrow through LR, and as they burrow they can hit the glass tank bottom and try to smash/burrow through that too. From what I've read, having 2" or so of sand helps prevent this, because once they hit sand they stop burrowing. I'm still very new to all this though.

teriyakithunder

I won't be using that much rock. I have a 20 lb dry rock that I got from reefcleaners and I was thinking of breaking it into several pieces and using that.

Archived