ReefCleaners.org

Okay, I've got to ask, are there two different green Candy Cane corals?

little_ocean_treasures

little_ocean_treasures

I've been wondering this for a while. Are there two different shades of bright green colored Candy Cane (or Trumpet) corals? I've seen pics of tanks that had both a nice almost minty green and then a ultra bright neon green (which seemed like a little bit smaller) of what I thought were Candy Cane corals. I knew there were other colored Candy Canes but I only ever thought there was one green color Candy Cane coral. Guess I was wrong. Where does one get the ultra bright neon green?

It's all due to lighting.

Not true. I have some standard minty green candy canes and what they call kryptonite candy canes. The atomic candy canes are simply the brightest coral under actinics I have ever seen. If you just do a search for candy cane corals under google image you can tell the difference between the two. Vivid aquariums has some true kryptonite candy canes available, but they're not that uncommon.

It's a pretty bad picture, but you can see the difference in my tank thread in the 4th picture of the second post.

Edited by Paleoreef103

Yeah the difference between the teal and bright-ass-neon-green ones is pretty obvious. I don't think lighting is the cause becaues I've never seen and variation in color besides those two and one of those two colors applies to just about any candycane I've seen in any tank.

I thought there was another species that was endangured and without the correct permit you could be arrested? Might have been a duncan... How my memory fails me on a daily basis. -_-<_<

I thought there was another species that was endangured and without the correct permit you could be arrested? Might have been a duncan... How my memory fails me on a daily basis. -_-<_<

I think it is the duncans. Because of the speed at which you can make these candy canes (and duncans) grow by feeding them, there really isn't a reason to pull them out of the ocean anymore.

little_ocean_treasures

Okay, here's one of the pictures I found that have both green colors. What is up with those green ones on the left side? Mine are the minty green ones on the right side and they color up real nice under actinics and blue LEDs. But I want those bright greenies!! ;)

post-66056-1328805439_thumb.jpg

Edited by little_ocean_treasures

Thos bright green ones are endangered from what I know, after seeing the photo it sparked my memory. I could be wrong, infact I more then likely am, but I dont think you can find the bright neon green ones.(left)

little_ocean_treasures

Thanks, but it's actually not my tank (wish it was!! lol)...just an awesome picture I found on the internet here. I kept the photo because I found it very interesting that there appear to be two different colored candy cane corals...which I did not know. ;)

The ones you want are (as has been mentioned) kryptonites. My LFS gets them in from time to time and the live stock classifieds are a good place to post a WTB.

I didn't know there were multiple colors :huh:. I have a trumpet I've just been calling "neon green". It's still pretty little!

neongreen_trumpet2.bmp

Edited by msscha
  • 7 years later...

I am a newbie but I saw these beautiful corals for sale by a man selling out of his house. I bought what he called..... Kryptonite candy cane , Teal candy cane and Teal with yellow centers. They are doing great and are Beautiful !!!!