Cultivated Reef

GFO Reactor In 29 Biocube? Help!

little_ocean_treasures

little_ocean_treasures

Okay, I ordered the BRS GFO and carbon reactor for my sumpless Biocube and it arrived yesterday. But man it's big so I was wondering if this huge reactor is overkill for my little tank. The tubes seem rather large for going in the back and the canister seems just too big for this smaller tank. Does anyone else use this reactor for their Biocube? Should I just hook it up anyways?

little_ocean_treasures

I was just thinking of it. I also wish I got the black one now instead of the white...black would have looked so much sexier. lol The white tubes I think bother me the most. Could I get black anywhere for it?

little_ocean_treasures

Actually I had thought of that too, but what about the tubes? Could I paint those too or would that be harmful to the tank? I was thinking if I could just pick up black tubing, that might be best.

So no one thinks this BRS unit is too big for a 29 gallon?

I don't think it's too big. I'm running it on my BC29. As far as filtration goes, bigger is always better. Finding a place for it was the only issue I had. I ended up mounting it on the wall next to my tank.

The paint would not be harmful to the tank but you could go find black tubing as well. Either way...

little_ocean_treasures

Okay, thanks! Also, do you run just GFO or carbon in there as well? I will be putting the carbon in a media basket in the back but was thinking of getting another reactor down the road for the carbon...now I'm not so sure being these are kinda big in my mind. lol

I run both carbon and GFO in the same reactor. The carbon goes up top held in by a sponge and the GFO towards the bottom sitting on top of the sponge on the screw cap and allowed to tumble in the flow. I also have a some carbon in the media rack along with some floss. I don't think you need another reactor. I think BRS has a video showing this set up.

i use on on a 20h but i have a 10g sump to hide it. ya its huge. combine that with my skimmer, apex jr, pm1,eb8, return and drain plumbing and there's absolutely no room for anything down there.

i set mine the old fashioned way. i use gfo on the bottom and use carbon packed tight up top. now bulk reef suggest using half the gfo and mixing it with the carbon but the gfo will rip the carbon to dust in no time that way.

i'm using a maxi-jet 600 to drive it.

little_ocean_treasures

Well, I will be hooking it up today and seeing how it goes. Maybe clear tubing wouldn't be too bad either. But I just don't like the white being it has to be installed on the side of my tank.

Big time overkill. A full dose of GFO for a 29G is 2.9 tablespoons of GFO or about 29 grams and you start out with 1/2 that amount for the first few months so 1.5 spoons full. You don't need nor want a big reactor for that.

GFO and carbon have different useful lives and different flow requirements so mixing them is not advised. You either end up wasting GFO or stretching carbon past its lifespan when mixed.

Archived